[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    My sister who is 75 years old has just read this article, and she is absolutely horrified.

She had no idea that the term "coloured" was now deemed to be offensive, and wants to know how on earth she can be expected to keep up with these changes. She takes the view that the use of the word "black" instead of "coloured" is not better, just different. She thinks that instead of being evolutionary, it is just a matter of fashion until the next word comes along. She also does not see how offence can be taken where no offence is intended.

Furthermore, she does not see why she should change something she does not accept as being wrong or outdated, and says that expecting her to do so is out-and out ageism.

Does she have a valid point?

No she does not have a valid point. There was a time when people used the N-word freely to describe a person of color. It is an offensive term regardless of how old the person is that uses it.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    No she does not have a valid point. There was a time when people used the N-word freely to describe a person of color.
    And, there are still people who do it constantly. Now, i'm just waiting for some White person to come in here and justify its use just because too many Black people use it too. Are they going to also defend the use of the word "fag" because I see some gay guys use it? BTW, I do not approve of the use of either of those terms, and others.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    No she does not have a valid point. There was a time when people used the N-word freely to describe a person of color. It is an offensive term regardless of how old the person is that uses it.
    My sister never has and never would use the N-word simply because she is not a racist. I certainly take her point about the next word coming along. How do you know that the next generation won't decide that the use of the word "black" is offensive? If so, would you be prepared to stop using it? How do you know that you wouldn't still be thinking it and slip up inadvertently?

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    My sister never has and never would use the N-word simply because she is not a racist. I certainly take her point about the next word coming along. How do you know that the next generation won't decide that the use of the word "black" is offensive? If so, would you be prepared to stop using it? How do you know that you wouldn't still be thinking it and slip up inadvertently?
    You know what's interesting? There are now Black people who now view the term "Black" as offensive, as it was in the early part of the 20th century. But, like I said, Blacks people in the 60s adopted that term as our own "Say it loud, i'm Black and i'm proud!". Later, "African-American" would be accepted in the attempt to better associate with our ancestory. After all, if Cubans, Italians, Polish, Irish, and what-have-you Americans can hyphenate their cultural heritage, why can't Black Americans?

You avoid slipping by respecting those who wish to be called what they want, and not what YOU want to call them. By not doing that, it's like saying "I don't have to respect your wishes, or you, for that matter. I'll call you whatever I want, and you will accept it.".