[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Missing You

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    The biggest mystery for me is why she waited nine years before reconnecting with Nile for an album in the vein of diana 80. It would seem a no-brainer to me.
    She seemed clueless in thinking her fans and public craved repeats of 50’s retreads and yowling guitars.
    i'm guessing here and trying to sort of piece together comments from fans like Bluebrock and others.

her recording career really wasn't a #1 priority for her at this period so it seems she sort of approached it with a lackadaisical attitude. Supposedly she wanted to work with Lionel and Quincy and Michael, especially on some of her earlier albums. but i guess they were busy or she didn't get hold of them soon enough or something. I would think being asked to produce THE debut album after Diana's departure from Motown would have been a prize at the top of most producer's wish list. I realize Quincy might have had contractual obligations with other singers and maybe just really couldn't squeeze her in. but i have my doubts on that.

Supposedly when she finally worked with the Gibbs, it was very rushed and very last minute. so perhaps she wasn't good at planning out these things or accounting for timelines.

there's a quote from around 1981 where she talks about producing it herself. i think she mentioned the idea of working with chic again but that they wanted creative control and that was something she was not willing to give up. odds are that sentiment carried through MUCH of her working relationships with producers while at RCA

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i'm guessing here and trying to sort of piece together comments from fans like Bluebrock and others.

her recording career really wasn't a #1 priority for her at this period so it seems she sort of approached it with a lackadaisical attitude. Supposedly she wanted to work with Lionel and Quincy and Michael, especially on some of her earlier albums. but i guess they were busy or she didn't get hold of them soon enough or something. I would think being asked to produce THE debut album after Diana's departure from Motown would have been a prize at the top of most producer's wish list. I realize Quincy might have had contractual obligations with other singers and maybe just really couldn't squeeze her in. but i have my doubts on that.

Supposedly when she finally worked with the Gibbs, it was very rushed and very last minute. so perhaps she wasn't good at planning out these things or accounting for timelines.

there's a quote from around 1981 where she talks about producing it herself. i think she mentioned the idea of working with chic again but that they wanted creative control and that was something she was not willing to give up. odds are that sentiment carried through MUCH of her working relationships with producers while at RCA
    Yet she was prepared to hand control of production duties to Gary Katz and Barry Gibb as opposed to reuniting with the producers of her best selling album.
    The fact both Nile and Bernard are both featured on the SA album makes me think they would have been more then prepared for a follow up album at that point in time.