[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

"Nightflight" Tue Apr 22, 9P-12M ET: TCMS It's BAAACK...and it's yet and still 1968!

Howdy there, Nightflighters! After some well deserved interruptions of my airing of The Complete Motown Singles collection [[Diana's 70th birthday celebration and a big tribute to Dusty), it's time to continue the Motown singles saga as we finish off the year 1968! I have a few very special shows coming up in the next few weeks...so stay in touch with the "Nightflight" threads and on Facebook for more information about those. But do join me tonight for the finishing off of Motown-1968! All that and more...on "Nightflight"...on WOMR 92.1 FM Provincetown and WFRM 91.3 FM Orleans and streaming live worldwide in digital stereo at www.womr.org Thanks! John

Hi John,

Look forward to spending time with you and the gang as we plunge back into the CMS series. I don't know how we will ever follow up such as epic quest. When we finish perhaps we can start the complete Motown autobiography series. Imagine us all taking turns reading a couple of chapters on air from Otis' Temptations tome, Mary's Dreamgirl or Diana's Secrets Of A Sparrow. I'll be practicing my soothing Terry Gross voice while you consider it......

Quote Originally Posted by Glenpwood View Post
    Hi John,

Look forward to spending time with you and the gang as we plunge back into the CMS series. I don't know how we will ever follow up such as epic quest. When we finish perhaps we can start the complete Motown autobiography series. Imagine us all taking turns reading a couple of chapters on air from Otis' Temptations tome, Mary's Dreamgirl or Diana's Secrets Of A Sparrow. I'll be practicing my soothing Terry Gross voice while you consider it......
    Glen....you are ALWAYS a breath of "Frrreeesssshhhh Airhhh". I'm looking forward to your being here!

Hey John, see you and the gang for the resumption of the aural consumption of TCMS as 1968 dwindles down and we start to get down with 1969! I love me some '69!

Quote Originally Posted by sophisticated_soul View Post
    Hey John, see you and the gang for the resumption of the aural consumption of TCMS as 1968 dwindles down and we start to get down with 1969! I love me some '69!
    See you in a few moments...such naughty boys I have here! ....in the studio....Howdeeeeeeee!!

A very important FYI....since we are moving very quickly into 1969....a big thanks to Bobby Gardner/rossholloway for supplying not only 1969, but all of the rest of the Complete Motown Singles. Without him, I would not have been able to do this huge retrospective. Thank you, Bobby, for your generosity and love of Motown, so we could share this! John

Hear Ye, Hear Ye! Continuation of TCMS 1968 has arrived!

Howard in Long Beach, CA

Better late than pregnant!

Quote Originally Posted by motownlover View Post
    Hear Ye, Hear Ye! Continuation of TCMS 1968 has arrived!

Howard in Long Beach, CA
    Howdy Howard..great to see you!!

Better late than pregnant!
    Can you get pregnant THAT way?

The 1968 finish line?

The 1968 finish line?

Awwww....that would have been perfect.....

RossHolloway Guest
    Atlanta is listening

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    Atlanta is listening
    Howdy there Bobby....and thanks again!!

It's all good.

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by midnight johnny View Post
    Howdy there Bobby....and thanks again!!
    It's been my pleasure MJ!

Imagine if they ever find an Abdullah / Lewis Sisters duet in the vault. Would be quite the sing off.....

Imagine if they ever find an Abdullah / Lewis Sisters duet in the vault. Would be quite the sing off.....
    There goes my sleep tonight! [[*smile)

I always thought "Behind A Painted Smile" was the a side Either way BAPS is a far superior song, imho.

Hearing the instrumental only backing to "I'm Gonna Make You Love Me" really brings out how timeless this arrangement was. Even when it came out, it already sounded like a standard. I'm assuming [[Carole?) that it was a Gil Askey arrangement.

John,

I have to know if you find this version of A Place In The Sun more enjoyable than the Stevie Wonder hit one you gave such a glowing endorsement during the 1966 shows....

John,

I have to know if you find this version of A Place In The Sun more enjoyable than the Stevie Wonder hit one you gave such a glowing endorsement during the 1966 shows....
    Hahahah....Mr Memory-Like-An-Elephant! Actually I do enjoy it more...

Hearing the Tempts singing backup on "Rudolph" and the numbers with the Supremes makes me so glad there wasn't a group of "Mandantes" who sang on their records [[although we all love our favorite Mandate, Midnight Johnny).

Hahahah....Mr Memory-Like-An-Elephant! Actually I do enjoy it more...
    At least they didn't tackle Travelin' Man!

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Hearing the instrumental only backing to "I'm Gonna Make You Love Me" really brings out how timeless this arrangement was. Even when it came out, it already sounded like a standard. I'm assuming [[Carole?) that it was a Gil Askey arrangement.
    Howdy there, Kenneth...welcome!

Howdy there, Kenneth...welcome!
    Thanks...I eventually tune in though usually late as I'm on the West Coast.

At least they didn't tackle Travelin' Man!
    Phewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

Any more Christmas jams tonight and i'll need an ice scraper to get the icicles off my boughs of holly....

Hearing the Tempts singing backup on "Rudolph" and the numbers with the Supremes makes me so glad there wasn't a group of "Mandantes" who sang on their records [[although we all love our favorite Mandate, Midnight Johnny).
    ..............................[[*blush)

Any more Christmas jams tonight and i'll need an ice scraper to get the icicles off my boughs of holly....
    I've got some GREAT de-ICER!

The Isley Brothers version was recorded & released first.

Paul Riser = arranger on 'I'm Gonna Make You Love Me"

Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    The Isley Brothers version was recorded & released first.
    Carole....hello! Thanks!

On "Too Much To Hope For" the Monitors are providing the backgrounds as Tammi is singing over their track. Their version was recorded first but not released until A Cellarful of Motown Vol 3 .

On "Too Much To Hope For" the Monitors are providing the backgrounds as Tammi is singing over their track. Their version was recorded first but not released until A Cellarful of Motown Vol 3 .
    Thanks, Carole!

supremester Guest
    I LOVE your mixes - bring on the intros!

Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    I LOVE your mixes - bring on the intros!

Hey Gregg!!! Nice to see yyou! Thanks!!!

And amazingly the track to "I'm Gonna Hold on Long As I Can" was recorded in Feb 1968 and assigned to............drum roll, please........ Brenda Holloway.

Perhaps if Brenda goes back to the U.K., the boys could ask her to give the song a try.

Were you on the Westbound Number 9, Johnny?

So, are Andy &/or George coming on Nightflight in the next few weeks?

Were you on the Westbound Number 9, Johnny?
    Huh?? Anyway......WOW....information I never knew! Thanks, Carole! How depressing to know Brenda could have nailed that beaut!!! Not that Ann didn't do an amazing vocal!

That would be quite a combo- the Sisters trying to teach Abdullah some manners and Abdullah screaming "Off with their heads " as he wildly flayed his scimitar.

Paul Riser = arranger on 'I'm Gonna Make You Love Me"
    Ah, thank you for letting me know. You know everything!

Ah, thank you for letting me know. You know everything!
    Kenneth,
    in reality, I know a little. Only God knows everything.
    Each of us remembers bits and pieces of what we've read and encountered, but by sharing information and experiences arrive together at a composite of the bigger picture.
    However, thanks for the vote of confidence. I'm only too glad to help whenever I can.

So, are Andy &/or George coming on Nightflight in the next few weeks?
    Guessing that either you weren't authorized at the time to comment or that you were unsure whether you would have 2 or 3 distinguished guests on air, Andy Skurow has just verified that George Solomon, Kevin Reeves and he will be guests on Nightflight next Tuesday to premier the revamped Funny Girl and to pay tribute to the late, great Gil Askey.

Actually CC, I was supposed to suprise everyone by calling in and making the announcement on air, but I was busy working on a project and sadly unable to call in. John has been most generous to let us come on his show next week, and I am so excited about it. There's a few really cool surprises. Don't miss the first hour, some surprises come right away. ;-) I won't say anymore!

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Andy View Post
    Actually CC, I was supposed to suprise everyone by calling in and making the announcement on air, but I was busy working on a project and sadly unable to call in. John has been most generous to let us come on his show next week, and I am so excited about it. There's a few really cool surprises. Don't miss the first hour, some surprises come right away. ;-) I won't say anymore!
    I can hardly wait. I better set my clock to make sure I don't miss a second of the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Andy View Post
    Sounds like it's going to be even better than a [[UME) Easter Egg Hunt. Your appearance may even help to get to get the bees out of some bonnets [[mine included)!
    Once again, thank you for all that you do.

Sounds like it's going to be even better than a [[UME) Easter Egg Hunt. Your appearance may even help to get to get the bees out of some bonnets [[mine included)!
    Once again, thank you for all that you do.
    What a lovely surprise [[*smile).