[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Marv2...Did you notice Jimi Hendrix on the Lulu show...Batman was/is my favourite, in fact I treated myself to the just released blu-ray DVD box set for Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by mr soul View Post
    Marv2...Did you notice Jimi Hendrix on the Lulu show...Batman was/is my favourite, in fact I treated myself to the just released blu-ray DVD box set for Christmas.
    I did miss that the first time I scanned it. Wow! I didn't even know Lulu had a show. I had a crush on her when To Sir With Love came out. LOL!

But, I have a different issue with aging, and that is when among my own age group, and older, I don't feel like I am part of their generation. We were talking about television earlier. I lived through all that, so there is that shared experience. But, I also identify with the younger generations with most things. I will not, and cannot, blame society's ills on the youth, especially when I know how messed up their parents are. Why are their parents messed up? Because our baby-boom generation raised them! The chain goes on down the line. So, the next time you all feel the need to dump on the "kids" for their embrace of technology, their music, movies, ethics, morality, whatever, look at the man in the mirror.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    But, I have a different issue with aging, and that is when among my own age group, and older, I don't feel like I am part of their generation. We were talking about television earlier. I lived through all that, so there is that shared experience. But, I also identify with the younger generations with most things. I will not, and cannot, blame society's ills on the youth, especially when I know how messed up their parents are. Why are their parents messed up? Because our baby-boom generation raised them! The chain goes on down the line. So, the next time you all feel the need to dump on the "kids" for their embrace of technology, their music, movies, ethics, morality, whatever, look at the man in the mirror.
    I have to disagree. The Baby Boomers, we were/are great! We weren't just consumers, we stood up and made a difference without any real previous role models [[Anti-War Movement, Civil Rights Movement, Women's Rights Movement,etc.) just to name a few ...............those were OURS!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I have to disagree. The Baby Boomers, we were/are great! We weren't just consumers, we stood up and made a difference without any real previous role models [[Anti-War Movement, Civil Rights Movement, Women's Rights Movement,etc.) just to name a few ...............those were OURS!
    Bullshit! Everyone has role models, and the baby-boomers rejected theirs! That is why they led in the civil rights, anti-war, womens lib, and the counter-culture. You should be glad we rejected out role models!

Bullshit! Everyone has role models, and the baby-boomers rejected theirs! That is why they led in the civil rights, anti-war, womens lib, and the counter-culture. You should be glad we rejected out role models!
    Nope you're wrong. I sat for nearly 2 hours at a business breakfast and listen to Tom Brokaw drone on and on about "America's Greatest Generation". He was referring to my grandparents generation. The ones that went through the Depression, WWII, built Levittown, etc. and did what they were told to do! These were the parents of the Baby Boom generation and they had very little in common. They were hardly role models for those coming of age in the 60s and 70s! There were no broad-based role models for the counter culture generation. That is why the term "Generation Gap" became popular.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Nope you're wrong. I sat for nearly 2 hours at a business breakfast and listen to Tom Brokaw drone on and on about "America's Greatest Generation". He was referring to my grandparents generation. The ones that went through the Depression, WWII, built Levittown, etc. and did what they were told to do! These were the parents of the Baby Boom generation and they had very little in common. They were hardly role models for those coming of age in the 60s and 70s! There were no broad-based role models for the counter culture generation. That is why the term "Generation Gap" became popular.
    Yes, they were told what to do, but, their children didn't listen. If you look at the definition of "role model", it is that they served as models for how to be, positive or negative. The boomers didn't follow them. But, eventually, most of us turn out like our parents anyway because of how we were nurtured.

That "silent generation" didn't do that good of a job. Just because they lived through a depression and went to war means nothing.

Out of those times, the seeds of the digital age was borne by self identified hippies like the late Steve Jobs. The birth of organic foods by visionaries like the conflicted CEO of Whole Foods. Thanks to the hippies, men's fashions expanded from the drab blue and brown suits with the birth of Tom Ford, Yves St. Laurent, Giorgio Armani who would all add flair to their colorful, stylish "designer addicted" haberdashery.
    Women freed themselves from the shackles of domestic predictability and would also become CEOs [[though heaven knows with women still paid .77 cents on the dollar, we still have a way to go) Prime Ministers and soon, President of the U.S.A.!

You wanna get a laugh?tell a youngster about[black and white tv]and see the looks you get,priceless,haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    You wanna get a laugh?tell a youngster about[black and white tv]and see the looks you get,priceless,haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

My aunt, who is nearly 70 I think, still works for a major tour company [[Kuoni). As such she is seldom in the country for long, usually just enough time to wash and clean her clothes and pack ready for the next excursion. Similarly, she doesn’t have much time for the usual home comforts. She has a television, but only a black and white set! Every year she goes through the same argument with the television licensing organisation, who simply refuse to believe that in this day and age, any one could still have a black and white television and require a black and white licence [[although their own figures show that there are still some 28,000 homes around the country with a simple black and white set).
    The cost of a black and white licence is £49 per annum, compared with £145 for a colour licence. On more than one occasion, she has invited the licensing investigators into her home to check her set and make sure that it is not capable of receiving a colour picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotspurman View Post
    My aunt, who is nearly 70 I think, still works for a major tour company [[Kuoni). As such she is seldom in the country for long, usually just enough time to wash and clean her clothes and pack ready for the next excursion. Similarly, she doesn’t have much time for the usual home comforts. She has a television, but only a black and white set! Every year she goes through the same argument with the television licensing organisation, who simply refuse to believe that in this day and age, any one could still have a black and white television and require a black and white licence [[although their own figures show that there are still some 28,000 homes around the country with a simple black and white set).
    The cost of a black and white licence is £49 per annum, compared with £145 for a colour licence. On more than one occasion, she has invited the licensing investigators into her home to check her set and make sure that it is not capable of receiving a colour picture.
    You have to have a license for a TV in the U.K.???

You have to have a license for a TV in the U.K.???
    Technically, you also need a licence for a radio, but that is included in your television licence fee.