[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    "Pretty Baby" was on a label that could not promote it beyond Detroit City limits let alone distribute it beyond Michigan. "Butter Popcorn" was a tug of war between Berry Gordy wanting to pull it vs Barney Ales, knowing it had hit potential wanting to promote it..
    If Pretty baby had hit written all over it trust me it would have got out of Detroit city limit and charted. Butter Popcorn did not have hit potential imo and your off in fantasay land again lol.

Roberta

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    If Pretty baby had hit written all over it trust me it would have got out of Detroit city limit and charted. Butter Popcorn did not have hit potential imo and your off in fantasay land again lol.

Roberta
    Trust you? You don't even know what you are talking about. Trust you LOL!!!!

[QUOTE=Roberta75;285610]If Pretty baby had hit written all over it trust me it would have got out of Detroit city limit and charted. Butter Popcorn did not have hit potential imo and your off in fantasay land again lol.

Buttered popcorn was a novelty record with silly lyrcs, but if barney ales would have been given the green light to,promote it it would have made the charts, that record had potential. Just because berry diidnt like it doesnt mean the rest of the public didnt it was not heard for it to be a hit. I remember seeing buttered popcorn in the record bin for 39cents in 1964 on tamla i never heard it so ii bought 3 copies and gave two of them to my friends i said to myself that the same lady whom sang the outro to long gone lover, cause i had the album wdolg i read the liner notes and found out the lady who sang the top harmony was FLORENCE BALLARD, and did a fab job on buttered popcorn inspite ov its greasey and salty what do u like u lyrics
    Last edited by franjoy56; 05-24-2015 at 12:28 AM. Reason: spacing

[QUOTE=franjoy56;285612]

Buttered popcorn was a novelty record with silly lyrcs, but if barney ales would have been given the green light to,promote it it would have made the charts, that record had potential. Just because berry diidnt like it doesnt mean the rest of the public didnt it was not heard for it to be a hit. I remember seeing buttered popcorn in the record bin for 39cents in 1964 on tamla i never heard it so ii bought 3 copies and gave two of them to my friends i said to myself that the same lady whom sang the outro to long gone lover, cause i had the album wdolg i read the liner notes and found out the lady who sang the top harmony was FLORENCE BALLARD, and did a fab job on buttered popcorn inspite ov its greasey and salty what do u like u lyrics

Berry Gordy also did not like "What's Goin' On?".......... There were other smash hits that Berry did not like.

"Buttered Popcorn" had that "Mashed Potatoes" beat that was popular at the time.
    Last edited by marv2; 05-24-2015 at 03:17 AM.

thomas96 Guest

Roberta
    Lu Pine wouldn't have a chance pushing it.

Quote Originally Posted by thomas96 View Post
    But the Atlantic label worked with Lu Pine to release selected singles for national distribution and if Atlantic thought Buttered Popcorn and pretty baby could have been hits theyd have made them hits.

But the Atlantic label worked with Lu Pine to release selected singles for national distribution and if Atlantic thought Buttered Popcorn and pretty baby could have been hits theyd have made them hits.

Now, you see what I am saying? LOL!!!!

Buttered popcorn and baby dont go were products under motown records they threw those tracks on their 1st album one of them was relesed as a single no promotion end of story.

Quote Originally Posted by thomas96 View Post
    You can't explain anything to Roberta. Her mind works differently than a normal person...........