[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Considering Diana insisted David sing in a key he wasn’t comfortable with, he’s still the vocalist that impresses the most during this performance.
    I hate the way Diana stands so far out in front of the other performers at the end. One could certainly never accuse her of having a group mentality that’s for sure lol.
    Good observation. Shes in front of David such that her arm extends in front of him. He never does that to her ...that we see...

hey, who's holding that fake Diana Ross high note at the end when she's already taken the microphone away from her mouth??

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Good observation. Shes in front of David such that her arm extends in front of him. He never does that to her ...that we see...

hey, who's holding that fake Diana Ross high note at the end when she's already taken the microphone away from her mouth??
    my guess is that the track was pre recorded in the studio and then the leads sang live on stage. so the high note could easily just be longer on the tape. i would guess it's a combo of Cindy and then Eddie doing a falsetto. i don't know that they would bother bringing in studio vocalists to fill in.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    my guess is that the track was pre recorded in the studio and then the leads sang live on stage. so the high note could easily just be longer on the tape. i would guess it's a combo of Cindy and then Eddie doing a falsetto. i don't know that they would bother bringing in studio vocalists to fill in.
    Frankly I think they have live mics and are mime- "singing" so that they can occasionally be heard , but its over a more prominent pre-recorded track of all of them.

I could hear Diana doing I'm LOSING YOU as a hit instead of the Temptations. She sings it fine, the storyline fits her....there's an awkward timing moment when she stretches the line by saying, the presence of another 'woman' ...instead of 'man'....which lyrically could've been fixed to suit the line's meter were it a Supremes song.

When Diana holds her hand up and does the higher hooting at 3:10, to me she's miming Mary's voice [any in-house Supremes voice experts agree/disagree?]
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 01-18-2024 at 04:01 PM.

Frankly I think they have live mics and are mime- "singing" so that they can occasionally be heard , but its over a more prominent pre-recorded track of all of them.

I could hear Diana doing I'm LOSING YOU as a hit instead of the Temptations. She sings it fine, the storyline fits her....there's an awkward timing moment when she stretches the line by saying, the presence of another 'woman' ...instead of 'man'...which lyrically could've been fixed.

When Diana holds her hand up and does the higher hooting at 3:10, to me she's miming Mary's voice [any in-house Supremes voice experts agree/disagree?]
    I think only the leads have live mics. If you notice, you can see Eddie give David the mike back right before they start I'M LOSING YOU.

Re Diana's high note, I think that is indeed her doing it. She didn't pull out such high notes often but there are times she did, like on THE BOSS or near the end of GIVE UP from the "diana" album.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I think only the leads have live mics. If you notice, you can see Eddie give David the mike back right before they start I'M LOSING YOU.

Re Diana's high note, I think that is indeed her doing it. She didn't pull out such high notes often but there are times she did, like on THE BOSS or near the end of GIVE UP from the "diana" album.
    ok you are likely right , but if you notice at the end of MY GUY around 2:10 some mystery voice sings at a higher voice 'my guy' of which none of the girls claim as their own ....

[I knew we could find a way to get The Andantes in here]
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 01-18-2024 at 05:16 PM.

ok you are likely right , but if you notice at the end of MY GUY around 2:10 some mystery voice sings at a higher voice 'my guy' of which none of the girls claim as their own ....

[I knew we could find a way to get The Andantes in here]
    That's Cindy. She moves her head when she sings it.
    Last edited by reese; 01-19-2024 at 09:15 AM.

Watching this stuff about David Ruffin and found what is said @ 9:20 interesting:

here's the performance:

still watching this performance. I'm not perceiving David doing anything egregious for Berry to be perturbed about.

IF Berry were even the least bit upset with anybody, it might've been at Diana....but not by much because she carried this weight of this show and did so really well ....until the very end. Then she clearly drops out of the finale too early, dropping her mic before the others have finished. Yet Diana can still be heard hitting her high note after she's stopped singing.

Question still on the table :

Was that fake high voice already on the track they are singing to...or did they have to add it later to make it sound like Diana continued to sing until the appropriate end?**

added:

**on further review: I now propose that the last high note heard is that of Eddie Kendricks
    I believe Supfan suggested that possibility earlier, but I failed to grasp it.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 01-25-2024 at 03:48 PM.