Quote Originally Posted by CoolKatz View Post
As time moves on on more truths are revealed I think it's highly plausible that Mary was the one who really wanted to be the lead singer. In this sense Mary and Lynda were a lot a like.

Motown legend has it that Flo wanted the sole lead role. This is often said because it fits well with the Dreamgirl narrative imo, but from what I've been told is Flo just wanted things to be be fair. Flo was fine with the group being a multi lead group like the Temps because that is how they started. Imo this would have lessened the friction a bit

I do think that because Mary was told that she couldn't sing [[she could sing well) that it caused a major insecurity, but that was done by design. It's basic manipulation 101

Songs could have been tailored to Flo or Mary even if they were B-sides or album fillers. They did for Wanda, Gladys and Martha.

Make no mistake I do agree with Diana for the singles as this was a winning formula, but as anyone with children will tell you, issues begin when one child gets all the treats all the time!

As always I close with this is all water under the bridge It's interesting to see how things should have gone but it's all done now. Rest assured as time goes on and more people pass on, a more honest picture will emerge for those who are interested.

Fortunately the ones who have passed on couldn't care less about any of this. They gave us the music and the illusion while they were here and we're still talking about it. Their work is done!
i agree with your points! plus yes half the fun here is to think about what COULD have happened

I wonder when this "dictate" from Berry that Diana is the official lead singer came about. was it right before WDOLG? was it earlier? it's mentioned in a lot of books but the exact timing seems hazy. after summer of 61, we really don't have either F or M handling many leads. At least based on what we've received in the EEs. of course motown might not have saved the leads, erasing them or recording over them.

so by 62, diana was the lead singer. but you're point is spot on that M and F were used more and used effectively to add to the songs. just like the other thread i started on here about how some songs really utilized the group.

on the WDOLG album you have:
*the shared leads on the chorus of Breathtaking
*Flo's lead on the outro of Long Gone
*extensive 3-part harmony on Kiss of Fire, Come See, Baby Love, I'm giving you your freedom, Breathtaking
*the brief individual lines on the bridge of BAby Love

on More hits you still have extensive 3 part harmonies and a lot of group interplay in the songs. With Symphony you have 3 part but there's less group interplay. A go Go at least has a mary lead but that's it

on the Specialty albums, they at least almost always recorded a track that features M and F
*Country - mary on sunset, shared leads on Makes no diff
*liverpool - flo lead on I Saw Him, Mary co-lead on You Really Got a hold
*Sam cooke - Flo on Good news, mary does brief intro line on Chain Gang
*There's a place - flo on People, mary on our day
*Xmas - Flo on Silent Night and O Holy Night, mary on Christmas Song
*R&H - mary on Falling in love, flo on Manhattan