[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    I No one here has attacked you or your beliefs. But, I would be interested in how saying "Have a Blessed Day" helps the person saying it.
    BTW: It helps because I can't do anything to make your situation better, so I would like to think someone or something greater than I can. It's my way to let you know that I love you without being awkward about it.

Damn. That last line was awkward...

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    BTW: It helps because I can't do anything to make your situation better, so I would like to think someone or something greater than I can. It's my way to let you know that I love you without being awkward about it.

Like brothers, man, like brothers! Hahahahaha!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Expressing love on any level seems to be awkward for most us. From a casual expression of love like Bless You to a full tilt expression like I Love You we tend to be awkward in love. I really can’t control how a person responds to some expression of love [[big or small) I might make, and if the expression is not appreciated I would respond accordingly. What’s most important here to me is that I am making the expression. That I am practicing what I preach, that I am willing to get past the awkwardness of expressing love, on any level. I have a friend [[really) who is just over the expression Have A Nice Day; that’s small potatoes but I respect it and make the same expression of love with different words.

Quote Originally Posted by sophisticated_soul View Post
    Expressing love on any level seems to be awkward for most us. From a casual expression of love like Bless You to a full tilt expression like I Love You we tend to be awkward in love. I really can’t control how a person responds to some expression of love [[big or small) I might make, and if the expression is not appreciated I would respond accordingly. What’s most important here to me is that I am making the expression. That I am practicing what I preach, that I am willing to get past the awkwardness of expressing love, on any level. I have a friend [[really) who is just over the expression Have A Nice Day; that’s small potatoes but I respect it and make the same expression of love with different words.
    To the point Jerry and I were joking about: it is still taboo for many men to express affection for each other either verbally or physically with a hug. How many of us had fathers that only shook hands with his son? How many people get that creepy feeling when hugging, or seeing two guys hug, and think there's something gay about it? That mentality is still out there, folks! When men say "I love you", they have to attach the "brother" or "bro" to it to make sure no one thinks it's a romance or a crush. In comparison, women don't have these issues. It's quite common to see two straight women holding hands and hugging. No one thinks they are gay.

As far as the "You are blessed!" thing is concerned: I grit my teeth whenever someone says that to me. It's a way these people force their beliefs on people. What if I don't believe a higher power blesses people? But, that person is forcing that belief on to me anyway, just like with the "Merry Christmas' folks. If I say "Merry X-Mas" or "enjoy your holiday", they emphasize the "Christmas" part in anger, which leads us back to...

These Trump supporters feel like the world they knew is going away. They grew up in a world where Christmas and their religious beliefs were never challenged because of "political correctness" for others who may be different. They can't deal with a world that doesn't believe Christopher Columbus discovered America. They refuse to believe that the Pilgrims had nothing but the best intentions. Tio them, John Wayne is a hero. Ronald Reagan was the best ever president. They resent more languages than English anywhere. They hate a president that looks like the very people they have tried to marginalize.
    Last edited by soulster; 10-26-2016 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    That mentality is still out there, folks!
    And not just with straight folk either. After I wrote the post I considered not posting it, concerned that it might be misinterpreted or sound "too gay".