[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I like their look and Jean gave excellent vocals. But, even though this appearance was to promote their night club show, I wish they had done something more current than a 60s hit medley and Tossin and Turnin. It's like they are already an oldies/nostalgia act. Given that Webb was their current album I would have ditched the 60s hit medley for Stoned Love.

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    I like their look and Jean gave excellent vocals. But, even though this appearance was to promote their night club show, I wish they had done something more current than a 60s hit medley and Tossin and Turnin. It's like they are already an oldies/nostalgia act. Given that Webb was their current album I would have ditched the 60s hit medley for Stoned Love.
    The Webb lp didn't come out til months later. Automatically Sunshine was the current single and it was stalling on the charts and they could have given it some gas here, but they did Tossin' instead

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    The Webb lp didn't come out til months later. Automatically Sunshine was the current single and it was stalling on the charts and they could have given it some gas here, but they did Tossin' instead
    You know after I hit the post button I decided to look up when the Webb album was released and realized this Cavett show was several months before the release. Now this makes the choice of Tossin and Turnin as the other song to perform even odder. Automatically Sunshine would have been a more sensible choice as that was their current single. Did they even have a routine for that song? Was it ever part of their show as a full song performance/

So odd they, or should I say, Mary was already promoting the Webb album, months before it was released. Sure, mention they finished recording with him, but find a way to sway the conversation to their current album, or at least their live show appearances. In a way this is a harbinger of what happened to Diana at time of Force Behind the Power as she was making appearances on American TV and touring for the album months before it was released.

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    You know after I hit the post button I decided to look up when the Webb album was released and realized this Cavett show was several months before the release. Now this makes the choice of Tossin and Turnin as the other song to perform even odder. Automatically Sunshine would have been a more sensible choice as that was their current single. Did they even have a routine for that song? Was it ever part of their show as a full song performance/

So odd they, or should I say, Mary was already promoting the Webb album, months before it was released. Sure, mention they finished recording with him, but find a way to sway the conversation to their current album, or at least their live show appearances. In a way this is a harbinger of what happened to Diana at time of Force Behind the Power as she was making appearances on American TV and touring for the album months before it was released.

I would venture a guess and say this is the kind of thing that happens when the hit making days are ending or over - AS barely scraped the Pop Top 40 and the Supremes and Motown had probably given up and moved on because they knew it wasn’t going to be a big hit