[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by westgrandboulevard View Post
    Thank you Lucky2012...

I ought to say that comparisons between recordings generally result in one or more of the choices being clearly less favoured.

When it comes to the happy situation when both [[or more) of what is being compared are felt to be equally great, as in this thread,...then it's definitely a 'win win', and instinctively made easier when two different interpretations may be made.

"Always be a first rate version of yourself, and not a second rate version of someone else" - Judy Garland;
    I love your comments more and more! I had to grin after reading the Judy Garland quote because I've always loved singing. Motown is the reason why I started playing bass and then went into learning to play every instrument I could as well as writing and recordings songs. Well, it took me the longest time to realize that I had internalized quite a few of Wanda Rogers' vocal signatures and they came out whenever I would sing. The way she uses a certain kind of vibrato.

I really think Wanda got into my head when I heard "The Day You Take One [[You Have To Take The Other)". There are just words this woman sings that makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. On the line, "All I wanted was to be treated nice / Didn't want to make a sacrifice", she does something fantastically peculiar at the end of the words "nice" and "sacrifice"; it's a perfect example of the Wanda Vibrato and I ended up copping it. Imagine being asked to sing in a band that does rock music and singing a Who song with a Wanda Rogers-type delivery!

Oh dear...Wanda, you've made me a second rate version of you!
    Last edited by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance; 08-12-2018 at 08:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    I love your comments more and more! I had to grin after reading the Judy Garland quote because I've always loved singing. Motown is the reason why I started playing bass and then went into learning to play every instrument I could as well as writing and recordings songs. Well, it took me the longest time to realize that I had internalized quite a few of Wanda Rogers' vocal signatures and they came out whenever I would sing. The way she uses a certain kind of vibrato.

I really think Wanda got into my head when I heard "The Day You Take One [[You Have To Take The Other)". There are just words this woman sings that makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. On the line, "All I wanted was to be treated nice / Didn't want to make a sacrifice", she does something fantastically peculiar at the end of the words "nice" and "sacrifice"; it's a perfect example of the Wanda Vibrato and I ended up copping it. Imagine being asked to sing in a band that does rock music and singing a Who song with a Wanda Rogers-type delivery!

Oh dear...Wanda, you've made me a second rate version of you!
    LOVE LOVE L-O-V-E that song. It was one of my early introductions to the Marvelettes and I probably played it as much if not more than the A side. I loved the intro and like you just said, some of the lyrics were delivered masterfully. How about the word "discovered" and the phrase "you've got to take the bitter with the sweet."

It was a true masterpiece that could have been a hit on its own.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    LOVE LOVE L-O-V-E that song. It was one of my early introductions to the Marvelettes and I probably played it as much if not more than the A side. I loved the intro and like you just said, some of the lyrics were delivered masterfully. How about the word "discovered" and the phrase "you've got to take the bitter with the sweet."

It was a true masterpiece that could have been a hit on its own.
    Motown was such an amazing place. What other record company had so much on its plate that they could afford to toss off potential A sides as album tracks? I too thought this was such a strong song that it would have been a fantastic single [[nearly every song on this album had strong potential, and that's something you don't find often with albums.)

Yes, the way Wanda sings that word "discovered"... Lord, but nobody could make such random words sound like prize-winning performances in themselves like Wanda. She has a distinctive way of applying a kind of vibrato to certain syllables and trailing off on the last syllable of a word and she does that on this word.

Then the music- such a unique arrangement- heartbeat bass drum on the verses and then a funky swing beat on the parts leading into the choruses. I nearly broke my fingers trying to learn to play that hypnotic 3-note descending bass line. This is before Motown started going a bit overboard on its arrangements; a nice, tight, lean-but-effective music track. Then on the end, I swear the tempo picks up a bit of speed as everyone just jams the h**l out of the rhythm toward the fade out.

Now, don't get me started on "I Can't Turn Around"... Wanda's and the Funk Brothers performance on that is enough to bring a grown man to tears.
    Last edited by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance; 08-13-2018 at 01:26 AM.