[REMOVE ADS]

The great Lala Brooks--with an early Diana Ross anecdote, too

Thanks for posting! La La has such a beautiful speaking voice; like her singing voice !!!

Lala is one of the most beautiful singers-inside and out. I just wish we could see her perform more. One time after we chatted at a Mary Wilson concert when Mary had Lala come up on stage and she blew the roof off and Mary took the mic back and complimented her, that she was too good! I told Lala how great she was and she was so touched and humbled and subsequently emailed me saying people dont realize how much it means when we compliment others!

LaLa Brooks is the bomb! I too first saw her at one of Mary's concerts in NYC.

Great interview; smart lady; you can tell she avoided the booze and drugs because she talks so intelligently.

Lala was a popular DJ in Austria for many years before returning to the U.S. in recent years. I know she was married to Idris Muhammad for many years.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Lala is one of the most beautiful singers-inside and out. I just wish we could see her perform more. One time after we chatted at a Mary Wilson concert when Mary had Lala come up on stage and she blew the roof off and Mary took the mic back and complimented her, that she was too good! I told Lala how great she was and she was so touched and humbled and subsequently emailed me saying people dont realize how much it means when we compliment others!
    Luke - Thank you so much for sharing that wonderful moment. That's a beautiful memory you'll always have. Something you'll never forget. It meant a lot to me just hearing about it.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Great interview; smart lady; you can tell she avoided the booze and drugs because she talks so intelligently.
    Are you kidding, rob?

La La Brooks is VERY outspoken and does not have a lot of nice things to say about Darlene Love. You thought Diana Ross and Mary Wilson had "beef"?

I know La La brooks has had beef with Darlene Love in the past. But I can see her point. When she mentioned she sang on Da Doo Ron Ron, I first thought: "no you didn't." But had to correct myself. She did sing lead on that record, but Darlene had it in her act - and I think-claims she recorded it. It's confusing.

I also dug that classic Crystals clip. They were some good looking babes. What's that sexy move La La does? The Shake? The Frug?

My mom watched the interview clip too and said she would have done the same as Diana Ross, just barged into that southern eatery. She said there wasn't anyplace she couldn't go as a child in Detroit in the Sixties and Diana was just being true to herself and probably didn't realize where she was. Funny how things turn around. Now there are not too many places here in the south where I can't go as a black man in 2012-2013, but there are some places "up north" where I can't. I'd get run out. Here in the south, I seldom see racist graffiti scribbled on bathroom walls. But I was in Cleveland, Ohio - at the airport -.in the restroom - and what did I see? Racist graffiti.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 12-28-2012 at 03:07 PM.

I've seen Darlene sing DA DOO RON RON on at least two tv shows, as if it was one of her songs. From what I recall from reading her book, Darlene recorded it first, but Phil wiped her vocal, and replaced it with LaLa. But Darlene says she still hears herself underneath.

I attended a PBS Girl Groups taping many years ago, and LaLa entered the audience area while Darlene was on stage. They acknowledged each other, and it seemed friendly to me. I gather the "beef" between LaLa and Darlene heated up again recently via some comments on Facebook. Its rather sad to have such angst at this late stage, I think.

They also performed together. Lala spoke about spirituality keeping her centered. You can tell-she shines. Thanks Methus--appreciate your response. [[She said Diana was being Diana like Marys Mom said to her after M25--thats just who she is--dont stress. I guess!)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    What's that sexy move La La does? The Shake? The Frug?
    A classic Frug move. I know it all too well. Just don't ask me to demonstrate--it won't be pretty.

I saw her do her hips, pelvic moves a few years ago on TV and Im amazed they didnt censor it!!