[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    They don't want to work because of the allure of making a fast buck by selling dope and stealing. That's not rap music's fault, that's everything I, and Jerry mentioned above.
    Nobody I know is saying Rap, gangsta or otherwise created the problems of violence in
    any community. We all know crime and violence are all old as humankind. But a lot of
    hip hop sure the hell has abetted it for over 20 years now. Even when it's not "gangta" per se
    a lot of hip hop just plain corrupts and co-opts any public atmosphere. Funny thing is over the past few years I've started to understand why some straight out racist think, act out and
    come to the conclusions that they do. Not agree, but understand...With so many young folks
    walking around rapping about what a thug they are, how many b*tches they f*ck, and
    what they're N*ggas be doing...okay, maybe I don't want to hire this young man, rent to
    him, give him a loan, accept him into this school...maybe he IS armed...And at cook-outs,
    block parties, parades and festivals with 10,12,14 year old kids running around this music
    is blasted....Anybody that doesn't have even just a little bit of a problem with that...well,
    carry on...

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    Nobody I know is saying Rap, gangsta or otherwise created the problems of violence in
    any community.
    Marv sounds like he is.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Marv sounds like he is.
    I'm saying that it had an influence, along with those "Hood" and "Gangsta" films of the late 80s and early 90s.

Here is brief sampling of gang members in Toledo, OH I referred to above. It looks like a music videos, but let me tell you, these guys are real and will shoot you without blinking:

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Here is brief sampling of gang members in Toledo, OH I referred to above. It looks like a music videos, but let me tell you, these guys are real and will shoot you without blinking:

I think the real problem here is Pro Tools [[and it's cheaper incarnations) , and cellphone videos...In the good old days, these kids wouldn't have the know how or cash to go to a real recording studio or film production company to record this crap...only a few feature highly produced films to reflect parts of society...not knockout videos shoved in our faces every day through social media.....Just a glamorization of highly negative behavior...Life imitates art, art imitates life...In the final analysis...both factors influence each other...

As an employer who has hired and interviewed literally hundreds of people...I can say that ANY employer who does not hire the BEST and MOST QUALIFIED candidate for any job, regardless of factors such as race, religion, sex, etc etc etc, will likely lose out to the competition that does and will lead the hit parade of businesses that fail...I have always hired the person whom I felt would have the best chance of success...Anything else would be foolish, including hiring people I wouldn't be caught dead with outside the workplace, but if I don't hire them...the competition likely will...In this day and age in our highly competitive environment, hiring less than qualified over well qualified is a big mistake which can only lead to failure...
    Last edited by StuBass1; 09-10-2016 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StuBass1 View Post
    I think the real problem here is Pro Tools [[and it's cheaper incarnations) , and cellphone videos...In the good old days, these kids wouldn't have the know how or cash to go to a real recording studio or film production company to record this crap...only a few feature highly produced films to reflect parts of society...not knockout videos shoved in our faces every day through social media.....Just a glamorization of highly negative behavior...Life imitates art, art imitates life...In the final analysis...both factors influence each other...

As an employer who has hired and interviewed literally hundreds of people...I can say that ANY employer who does not hire the BEST and MOST QUALIFIED candidate for any job, regardless of factors such as race, religion, sex, etc etc etc, will likely lose out to the competition that does and will lead the hit parade of businesses that fail...I have always hired the person whom I felt would have the best chance of success...Anything else would be foolish, including hiring people I wouldn't be caught dead with outside the workplace, but if I don't hire them...the competition likely will...In this day and age in our highly competitive environment, hiring less than qualified over well qualified is a big mistake which can only lead to failure...
    I agree Stu. I have been around long enough to witness the changes in society, which includes this current overly violent culture we experience here in America.

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    any community. We all know crime and violence are all old as humankind. But a lot of
    hip hop sure the hell has abetted it for over 20 years now. Even when it's not "gangta" per se
    a lot of hip hop just plain corrupts and co-opts any public atmosphere. Funny thing is over the past few years I've started to understand why some straight out racist think, act out and
    come to the conclusions that they do. Not agree, but understand...With so many young folks
    walking around rapping about what a thug they are, how many b*tches they f*ck, and
    what they're N*ggas be doing...okay, maybe I don't want to hire this young man, rent to
    him, give him a loan, accept him into this school...maybe he IS armed...And at cook-outs,
    block parties, parades and festivals with 10,12,14 year old kids running around this music
    is blasted....Anybody that doesn't have even just a little bit of a problem with that...well,
    carry on...
    That is pretty much what I am saying. I talked to my nephew this week about this subject. He is in that age range where what's going on in the streets is of utmost importance to some. He agreed that this music has had an effect on his peer group and not in a productive way.

Can anyone say that songs like "Ooh Child" or " I Think I Can Fly" would not have some effect on youth?