[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Money. If the recording contract was with a record label that knew exactly what to do with her, and she had management who knew exactly how to market her, it could have been a much more lucrative money stream than her touring set.

In actuality, Mary may have wanted a recording contract, but there's very little evidence that she actively sought one out. I've always believed that had she constantly knocked on doors, some would have opened. So many artists have stories about shopping demos around and going on audition after audition to get a break. Mary shopped her GD demos for a time, but when she writes about that time, by then the demos sounded dated IMO and didn't do her the favors they might have had she shopped them immediately after leaving Motown.

Because of her age, Mary was always going to have an uphill climb, but it wasn't unachievable. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, she chose not to bring in anyone who could help her with this. Her loss.

But I agree, without it, she did carve out a pretty decent post Supremes career. She may not have been making Diana Ross money, but I bet she was making more than most of her peers in the "former group" category. And after her initial money issues when she finally had the courage to leave Pedro, we never heard about Mary struggling financially.
    Which is funny because now, my understanding, is that the money is in touring, not recording.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Which is funny because now, my understanding, is that the money is in touring, not recording.
    Yeah, now that seems to be the case, especially for artists that may not write and produce their own material.

Did Mary ever dabble in songwriting?

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Yeah, now that seems to be the case, especially for artists that may not write and produce their own material.

Did Mary ever dabble in songwriting?
    I believe Mary co-wrote at least one song with her friend Brenda Russell.