[REMOVE ADS]

STAX: Soulsville U.S.A. DOCUMENTARY ON HBO & STREAMING ON MAX

A four part docuseries begins Monday, May 20th on HBO and will also be streaming on MAX

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt19891206/

Here's a good article previewing the documentary:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/stax-s...-memphis-label

Did anyone watch this? I don't have HBO or subscribe to MAX streaming. Hopefully it will get a DVD release.

I just finished watching the last episode of the series. While I enjoyed the series very much, I thought they concentrated too much on Otis Redding and Isaac Hayes, while ignoring many of the other acts like Johnnie Taylor, William Bell, the Emotions, etc.

I was really surprised that there was very little air time given to the Staple Singers when they were probably Stax's best-selling act of the 70s, next to Isaac.

Spreadinlove21, you got mail

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    Did anyone watch this? I don't have HBO or subscribe to MAX streaming. Hopefully it will get a DVD release.
    I watched the Stax Documentary and I think it's very good. However, I agree with Resse that they spent a lot of time on Otis Redding & Isaac Hayes and no mention of The Mar-Keys, The Staple Singers, The Emotions, Johnnie Taylor and others who contributed to the company's success. Unfortunately, I don't think that they're going to do a DVD/Blu-Ray release on this [thanks to streaming].

thats very disappointing to hear because I was gonna spend the $15.00 monthly feel to add HBO so I can watch it on demand.STAX was much more then Otis & Isaac. The Staple Singers & Johnnie Taylor WERE 2 of the biggest acts of the 70's.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I just finished watching the last episode of the series. While I enjoyed the series very much, I thought they concentrated too much on Otis Redding and Isaac Hayes, while ignoring many of the other acts like Johnnie Taylor, William Bell, the Emotions, etc.

I was really surprised that there was very little air time given to the Staple Singers when they were probably Stax's best-selling act of the 70s, next to Isaac.
    Just finished it this morning. I enjoyed the interviews and footage but I too wish that the Staple Singers and Emotions had received more shine. Such an amazing and tragic story though. I highly recommend it though.

Thanks for info on this. Was there any discussion of the role of Johnny Baylor and his ties to Al Bell and role that played in ultimately bringing about demise of Stax?

I have been enjoying the series. Brings back the memories I had dealing with Al Bell at Tera Shirma. Al was a true pro and gentleman. It was a pure pleasure working with him. I guess my brother really blew his mind in the studio causing him to request Russ to mix Hot Buttered Soul. The rest is historic.
    Last edited by ralpht; 05-28-2024 at 06:41 AM.

I watched the whole thing twice. Excellent documentary. I'd like to have it on DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    Thanks for info on this. Was there any discussion of the role of Johnny Baylor and his ties to Al Bell and role that played in ultimately bringing about demise of Stax?
    There was no mention of Johnny Baylor or his partner Dino Woodward in the new Soulsville U.S.A. documentary. Baylor was however featured in Respect Yourself/The Story of Stax Records film from 2007 for his part in helping to bring down Stax.

I agree Reese. Hardly any mention of Wilson Pickett, Little Milton, and they did very little on Sam & Dave.

I finished this on Thursday, and I'll have to go with the consensus: It was enjoyable, but frustratingly scattershot. I, too, wish there'd been more representation of the company's roster not named Isaac or Otis. One major plus: All the incredible Wattstax footage that didn't make the final cut of the released film [a multi-disc outtake package would be more than welcome].
    Last edited by sansradio; 05-28-2024 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    One major plus: All the incredible Wattstax footage that didn't make the final cut of the released film [a multi-disc outtake package would be more than welcome].
    Yes, this was a great feature in the series. For example, it was nice to see the brief interview with Ruby Dee and Ossie Davis which didn't make the film itself, although there was a brief reaction shot of them included.

Also, they didn't address whether the person-on-the-street participants in the WATTSTAX film were actually actors. I know Ted Lange and Raymond Allen were but I vaguely recall reading/hearing that some of the others were as well.
    Last edited by reese; 05-28-2024 at 09:43 PM.

Yes, this was a great feature in the series. For example, it was nice to see the brief interview with Ruby Dee and Ossie Davis which didn't make the film, although there was a brief shot of them included.

Also, they didn't address whether the participants in the WATTSTAX film were actually actors. I know Ted Lange and Raymond Allen were but I vaguely recall reading/hearing that some of the others were as well.
    Yes! The Ossie & Ruby soundbyte sent me! And yes, quite a few of the "person-on-the-street" interviewees were actors. Erik Kilpatrick [son of Lincoln] was another pro who was cast [you may remember him as one of the hoods who menaced Cornbread in the gym in Cornbread, Earl and Me [["You what?!!!? Hey, man, that dope was worth a lotta bread!!!"]].
    Last edited by sansradio; 05-28-2024 at 12:59 PM.

Yes! The Ossie & Ruby soundbyte sent me! And yes, quite a few of the "person-on-the-street" interviewees were actors. Eric Kilpatrick [son of Lincoln] was another pro who was cast [you may remember him as one of the hoods who menaced Cornbread in the gym in Cornbread, Earl and Me [["You what?!!!? Hey, man, that dope was worth a lotta bread!!!]].
    Yes. I remember Eric from THE WHITE SHADOW.

Yes. I remember Eric from THE WHITE SHADOW.
    That's right! Leave it to me to list his most obscure role.

I finished this on Thursday, and I'll have to go with the consensus: It was enjoyable, but frustratingly scattershot. I, too, wish there'd been more representation of the company's great acts not named Isaac or Otis. One major plus: All the incredible Wattstax footage that didn't make the final cut of the released film [a multi-disc outtake package would be more than welcome].
    I Know! The unreleased footage from the Wattstax festival was one the many high points of the Soulsville U.S.A. documentary. And since Craft Records released the multi-disc box set Wattstax '72-The Complete Concert in 2022, it's high time for the complete footage from the concert to come out as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    I Know! The unreleased footage from the Wattstax festival was one the many high points of the Soulsville U.S.A. documentary. And since Craft Records released the multi-disc box set Wattstax '72-The Complete Concert in 2022, it's high time for the complete footage from the concert to come out as well.
    Hear, hear! Although the complete footage would probably fill 30 discs!