Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
It surprises me that Motown wasn't all that keen about Mary's recordings with Gus Dudgeon. I know they weren't thrilled she was using an outside producer and returned the tapes back to her when she was released from the label, but how could they not hear the potential in "Love Talk" and "Save Me?" Unless they just wanted to get rid of her all together and didn't care if the tracks were good or not, there was a lot promise there. Dudgeon found the right formula that showcased Mary's voice. It was certainly 1000% better than her entire first album. If Mary was ever going to have a hit song, it was with these tracks. What a shame Motown didn't believe them to give her at least another chance. Hell, they kept on Charlene and she's got one of the dullest voices ever.
I totally agree, which is why I posed this inquiry to begin with. The Dudgeon songs were great-although I was less fond of Green River-that surely the quality of You Dance My Heart Around the Stars, Love Talk and Save Me surely spoke for themselves. I wasn't thrilled with her first album but I did think that some songs like I love a Warm Summer Night, Pick Up The Pieces and Midnight Dancer were decent enough.
Like I had said, you couldn't have three people in the Supremes all sound like Diana Ross, that is so shortsighted. Imagine if Diana was singing with Jean and Susaye? People are so critical of Mary's voice, but she had the best tone and a terrific warm sound. Her second album truly could have made some headway since she was no longer singing disco songs like her first one. You were right, Motown kept alot of people with voices that weren't great.