Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
I can see the possibility that Diana may have a thought or two of Mary and also Cindy and Florence when she does a Supremes song but I think she may be comfortable feeling that all of them and her are also the authors of their own misfortunes or fortunes. Diana might be comforted by the fact she worked her butt off and also got her butt worked off by Berry and that she helped all three Supremes during their lives as well as provided opportunities to Mary and Cindy.

Diana doesn’t do much looking back and I think she said Florence was her own worst enemy.

I think we’ve answered that it wasn’t that Motown didn’t like Mary - but her voice, her work ethic, her management skills, her choice of partners and managers just didn’t mesh up for major musical success. But she certainly was still a success - as a Supreme, as an author, as an activist for other artists, as an inspirational speaker.
Diana commenting that Flo was her own worst enemy revealed a complete lack of understanding of someone suffering mental health problems. I would hope that she has since revised that opinion considering she experienced her own problems with mental health and alcohol addiction.
The fact Mary felt she needed a break around the time of “Love Child” in 1968 is not a concrete reflection of her work ethic. She was always the consummate professional as a Supreme, working her butt off over the years while touring as a solo act. It’s worth noting that sometimes hard work alone is not enough, and you need some element of luck to help you on your way.
Had Mary been gifted a little more of that, particularly regarding record companies who’s to say what might have been.