Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
they were hitting a new sound with this "you go girl!" vibe with Walking that was strong, an aggressive dance beat, high-flying vocals. so if things could have been properly aligned, it's quite possible the sups could have had a strong resurgence.
Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
Their future was riding on the success of that first single from the excellent MS&S.
Sadly “Driving Wheel” proved a comprehensive nail in the coffin when chosen over far more radio friendly songs. The rest is history.
IMO almost everything went off brand once Jean left. Sup is right, those Scherrie singles have an aggressive sound and they lack the sophistication element that was a hallmark of the name SUPREMES. I know some of y'all are really on board with the change in styles, embracing the emerging disco sounds, for the group. I just can't be convinced this was the direction to go in to make the group profitable again.

I don't know why "High Energy" didn't work. Maybe it needed a better chorus? I remember my cousin saying it sounds like they're singing "I need cheese". Lol But I dig the track, the verses are nice, and Susaye does a great job with it. But are these dates correct: was "High Energy" released as a single a month or so after "Walking"? If so, what kind of sense did that make?

"Can't Stop a Girl" and "Color My World Blue" is more in line with what I think the group should have been doing. It's pop, it's R&B, they're danceable, but it's not too frantic. Those should have been the two singles from Supremes75. I won't argue against "Walking" or "Energy" from HE, but I definitely think "Teardrops" should have been a single.

I was today years old when I found out that Ivey and Woodford would go on to write and produce Hot's "Angel In Your Arms", a song I've mentioned a dozen times would have been perfect for the Supremes. How crazy is that?