Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
Mary says in both books that Diana appeared to forget the words and stopped singing. The accounts of the event differ in both books, the one in Supreme Faith seeming more accurate based on the footage available. But in both, Mary says that Diana stopped singing. Whatever the reasons Diana stopped, I think Mary did what she was supposed to do by picking it up, and then Mary B is right that Mary tries to toss the lead back when Diana joins in on the "whoo" part, and I suspect Diana might have picked back up, but by then she notices Smokey coming out on the stage and she introduces him. Mary continues to sing and the rest is history.

Mary was a professional, and it would seem to me that's the professional thing to do. Perhaps instead of rushing out to interrupt Adam Ant's performance, Diana should have been backstage running through the words of the song if she couldn't quite remember them all. That too would have been the professional thing to do.
did Diana stop singing lead because Mary usurped the lead? that's part of what we don't know. I don't know either. given how mary was a professional, i would hope to give her the benefit of the doubt that she wouldn't ever do such a thing. but i have my doubts. my feelings are that mary either arrived at M25 with an ax to grind or quickly picked up one. Randy alludes a little to this in the fact that everyone seemed to be ganging up on Diana "to GET her" so to speak. like you said, maybe the combination of her being more successful but sometimes being nasty, of her getting all of B's attention, etc. These performers also had some hefty grudges against Berry. and if they "got" Diana, they would also be "getting" Berry.

again, this is my speculation

but clearly this was a nightmare of situation. There had been plenty of press touting the Sups Reunion - although maybe some of this was planted in the press to force Diana into a corner and get her to do the show. but to have this much hype about the reunion and have it in such disarray is stunning.