Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
I still consider Mary's two books to be the authority on all things Supremes, even with inaccuracies. Indeed, she was there and I'll take her word for most of it. It sucks that we don't have an autobio from Florence, nor do we have one with much useful information from Diana Ross.

That being said, any movie based on the first book would, IMO, have to focus and center on Mary. Any script that is going to be non-partisan could certainly use Mary's book as a source, but would have to be sourced by everything ever written [[Mary's books, Diana's book...for what that's worth, the book on Flo, JRT's books, and others) in order to give each lady her "true" story, as opposed to one lady's POV.

If a movie were made specifically about Mary and based on her books, I would thumbs down the idea of titling it Dreamgirl. The movie has blurred the lines of fact and fiction with the Supremes and it's best to create some distance. Perhaps naming the movie after the second book, Supreme Faith, would be the better idea.
I agree that any film would be best seen through Mary’s eyes being she was actually there and the one who wrote the book. The three women’s minor squabbles could be left to one side, allowing the script to concentrate on more important issues such as Flo’s mental health, tour of the south, and perhaps Diana’s collapse.
Mary’s book really isn’t as negative as some have come to believe, being she refers to Diana’s work ethic and how they both tried to help Flo curtail her drinking.
I agree that Supreme Faith would be a much better title so as not to avoid confusion with the film musical.