[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: The Andantes

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hi Philles/Motown Gary....

[Ahem..... no, it's not actually 'Waiting'...it's WestGrand here....haha.....]

Perhaps you would just see how you feel about a Motorcity thread, and then do whatever you think might be interesting?

It does seem that the whole project is dismissed by many as unworthy of much, if any attention.

I tend to think there was a lot which was good about it....but, of course, also very much which could have been improved.

In suggesting you start a thread, I was thinking that you might, if it were possible, be able to post clips of your favourite tracks, and we then critique them, stating what we do enjoy about them...and also what we think about them which could have been improved?

For myself, the percussion sounds were most in need of further attention. The drum machine sounds, without overdubs, could threaten a whole recording. There is one particular drum sound which, when used alone, sounds to me like someone hammering metal, which I think is disastrous.

Also, if a tambourine sound could have been added, I believe that would have successfully helped to create an updated version of the 'Motown' sound, and to showcase the voices we all love.

I can quite understand that many staunch Motown fans cannot listen to the Motorcity recordings, but I do enjoy what I can from them, and also imagine just how they could have been improved.

For me, the vocals on the vast majority of the Motorcity tracks are fine as they are.

Knowing that the musical sounds behind the voices are generally computer generated does tend to represent a strong drawback, right from the start.

With the Motown recordings I can picture in my mind the musicians making the music with real instruments, even if the band tracks were recorded without the singers being present. Not being able to do this is one fundamental problem with the Motorcity recordings.

But I still think that can be overcome, and a good recording can be achieved with the use of computerised sounds, if sufficient time is taken with the production, and sufficient remixing and overdubs are used as appropriate, to produce a unique sound on completion.

With Motorcity, many of the tracks are fine in representing the era in which they were recorded...but it does seem there wasn't enough time to finish many of the others. They sound incomplete, and need additional polish and sparkle which was given to only some.

Maybe if you started a thread, any other members who can identify Motorcity tracks which appeal to them, could then post clips of them, even if you and I cannot..and we could take it from there....?
    Last edited by westgrandboulevard; 02-01-2023 at 07:21 PM.