Lamont Dozier - Lamont Anthony.
    Al Kent - Albert Hamilton.
    Ronnie Savoy - Eugene Hamilton.
    Tyran Carlo - Billy "Roquel" Davis.
    Robert Gordy - Bob Kayli.
    Gloria Jones - Laverne Ware.
    Dennis Lussier - Deke Richards.
    Edwin Starr - Charles Hatcher.
    William "Mickey" Stevenson - Avery Vandenberg.
    Funk Brothers - Twistin` Kings.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Polhill View Post
    Hal Davis - Danny Day.
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 1180
Size:  21.1 KB
    "Motown artists name changes. Does anyone know of any single artist or group that changed their names? I'm not thinking of early names before they achieved popularity, i. e. Primettes to Supremes."

Lamont Dozier didn't come to Motown as "Lamont Anthony". He returned to his real, legal name, and didn't change while he was an artist at Motown. Did Ronnie Savoy [[Eugene Hamilton ever work for Motown??? Did he come there after the Ed Wingate buyout? I never thought so. Same for Al Kent [[Hamilton). Brother Bobby DID work as a songwriter at Motown during 1962-63. Billy Davis was never working at Motown. Edwin Star [[Charles Hatcher) was Edwin Star both before and after joining Motown. To my knowledge he never even used the name Hatcher for songwriting credits [[although he did do that with other labels. Did Mickey Stevenson use the name Avery Vandenberg while working with Motown???

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Polhill View Post
    Hal Davis - Danny Day.
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 671
Size:  21.1 KB
    I'm pretty sure I remember both hearing and reading that Ronnie Savoy[[Eugene Hamilton) was NOT signed by Motown in the transfer of assets from Golden World to Motown. Al Kent said that Motown only wanted Charley Hatcher[[Edwin Starr), J.J. Barnes, and the master tapes, and signed a few songwriters [[but Ronnie Savoy, according to his own testimony, in an interview with him and his brother, Al Kent, that Ronnie was NOT signed by Motown in the company purchase. Al Kent, on the other hand, WAS signed by Motown as a songwriter/producer, along with Richard Morris. Al worked at Motown for a short time, but decided to leave and go back to Wingate, with the latter's new, Ric-Tic Records operation, as Motown had only bought The Golden World name, and Kent was dissatisfied being able to do so little at Motown, and have so little control on projects.