[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    In all fairness to Jean, this is a very distorted tape. I don’t think her vocals should be judged by this.
    From what I heard, I just didn't care for it. I have heard Jean sing live on television and she has a tendency to play around with her phrasing and vocals in that they sound different than the recordings. I wasn't judging here but I have to admit I thought if that was how she sounded live than it was a bit shrill and nasal in that tape.

Quote Originally Posted by jim aka jtigre99 View Post
    From what I heard, I just didn't care for it. I have heard Jean sing live on television and she has a tendency to play around with her phrasing and vocals in that they sound different than the recordings. I wasn't judging here but I have to admit I thought if that was how she sounded live than it was a bit shrill and nasal in that tape.
    even in some of the better sounding tv performances we have today, there's some distortion and deterioration of the sound.

I haven't found her to be too shrill but i completely agree with you about how she approached the lyrics and melodies. Jean was one that never liked to sing the song the same way twice. and there are pros and cons with that. from an artistic POV, she was very inventive and resourceful, testing new things and "going for it." but from a listener's perspective, it can have a negative effect. First of all, if there's a lot of improvising and changes, the song can radically change from the studio version. So fans could be disappointed in that experience.

Also some songs are more reliant on content, words, message and melody that others. For instance, Stoned Love has a clear story it's telling and the power of the song comes fro the perfect combination of a clear, unadorned lead vocal, angelic background vocals, strings and orchestra, and harmonies. It's clear Frank Wilson had her sing this very straightforward with only limited embellishments. and it's perfect that way.

when you listen to Jean sing SL live on the Japan album, it's abysmal. she's so into her jazz-influenced ramblings that she mumbles the lyrics and practically avoids all of the melody.