[REMOVE ADS]

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    A lot has been written about the many child actors who never make it as mature or responsible adults, but little has been written about the number of offspring of famous parents who have struggled with depression, drugs and more. Just off the top of my head, I can think of Carol Burnett, Paul Newman, Angela Lansbury, Ryan O'Neal [[more than one child), and amongst singers Gladys Knight, Paul Williams, Melvin Franklin [[none of whom I knew about before), all who had children who became drug addicts. It's worthy of study why so many "well off" children of celebrities go this route. I don't think money and availability alone is the answer though I'm sure it plays a large part. Being raised by strangers [[nannies, others) likely has much to do with it as well.
    Well I don't think it has anything to do with being raised by nannies or one's own biological parents. Addiction is addiction. The older I get the more that I have come to see that addiction does not discriminate- be it drugs or alcohol. It does not care about race, age, sex, culture, nationality, or social economical background. It's almost like its a part of the human condition. I think the only way to reduce its chances of taking hold or taking over someones life is to stay vigilant against it and to stop it early on if possible. But even then there are no guarantees. While writing this I'm reminded of James Brown song King Heorine. It's a really powerful song. I think addiction stems from unhappiness and is a result of a person not having the avenue or ability to deal with a particular issue or issues in life. It's an escape route away from ones reality/problems. I think everyone has "life problems", it's just a matter of how we choose to deal with them or handle them. Unfortunately some see no other way but to turn to drugs and alcohol.
    Last edited by RossHolloway; 06-30-2011 at 04:35 PM.