[REMOVE ADS]

Junie Morrison has passed!

Several tweets, including one from Bootsy Collins, have confirmed the grim news! I haven't heard any details about how!

Wow. I hated to read this. When I read the title of the thread, I had to make sure it wasn't the old Bernie Worrell thread bumped up with new information. Looks like 2017 is going to be as harsh as 2016 was.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Wow. I hated to read this. When I read the title of the thread, I had to make sure it wasn't the old Bernie Worrell thread bumped up with new information. Looks like 2017 is going to be as harsh as 2016 was.
    This is a massive loss. It has not sunken in with me yet.

A huge loss!!! RIP JUNIE

Timmy-- You hear this!!!

It often bugs the shit outta me that when today's media addresses yesterday's legacy they
    distort or exaggerate the facts...Junie was NOT a founding member of The Ohio Players
    just as in truth Phillip Bailey was not a founding member of EWF. The thing that makes
    them so important to their group's histories is that they provided the spark that them standout
    among all the other acts in the business. In Junie's case he re-shaped the OP, giving them
    their first biggest hits with tracks like Funky Worm. He did the same thing in P funk, raising
    them from cult status to national celebration with One Nation Under A Groove. Junie was one of the most talented musicians I've ever heard and I am very sorry to hear of his passing.
    A friend of mine and I talk about him all of the time, even his solo releases which I don't know
    if many have heard. RIP, Junie...Miss you like crazy,bro...

RIP Junie. Loved "Pain" was he on lead vocals? , and how many original OP's are left?

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    RIP Junie. Loved "Pain" was he on lead vocals? , and how many original OP's are left?
    "Pain" [[Pts. 1&2) was one of my absolute favorites.

"Ecstasy" was and is my jam. RIP.

Yes; Junie Morrison did the lead vocals on "Pain" [[also did the lead vocals on "Pleasure", "Ecstasy" and the 'granny voice' on "Funky Worm"). Sorry to hear that Junie has passed on. I don't know how many of the original Ohio Players are still with us [[the only one who comes to mind right now is drummer James "Diamond" Williams who joined them back in 1973).

Just checked the info on The Ohio Players and unfortunately, all of the original members of the group [[who started out in 1959 as the Ohio Untouchables) have passed on. Drummer James 'Diamond' Williams & keyboardist Billy Beck [[from the mid '70s lineup of the band) are still with us [[don't know if trombonist Marvin Pierce who joined the band in the early '70s is still here).

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    Just checked the info on The Ohio Players and unfortunately, all of the original members of the group [[who started out in 1959 as the Ohio Untouchables) have passed on. Drummer James 'Diamond' Williams & keyboardist Billy Beck [[from the mid '70s lineup of the band) are still with us [[don't know if trombonist Marvin Pierce who joined the band in the early '70s is still here).

Thx for the info.... also a favorite, "Let's do it" [[Let's love). Those horns are classic.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; 02-17-2017 at 08:34 PM.

Solange Penned A Touching Tribute To Ohio Players’ Founder Junie Morrison

http://madamenoire.com/786276/solang...unie-morrison/

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    Yes; Junie Morrison did the lead vocals on "Pain" [[also did the lead vocals on "Pleasure", "Ecstasy" and the 'granny voice' on "Funky Worm"). Sorry to hear that Junie has passed on. I don't know how many of the original Ohio Players are still with us [[the only one who comes to mind right now is drummer James "Diamond" Williams who joined them back in 1973).
    I'm stupid enough to laugh out loud every time I listen to "Funky Worm". The old lady voice in it is soooo funny. There's never been song nearly as ridiculous that I like I like as much as it.

Well, other than "I Put A Spell On You".

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    "Ecstasy" was and is my jam. RIP.
    Ecstasy was another one of our favorites when I was in Jr. High. I use to play it all the time.

Believe it or not, Marv, I cadged my copy of that 45 from my step-grandfather, of all people!

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Believe it or not, Marv, I cadged my copy of that 45 from my step-grandfather, of all people!
    Don't feel bad. I've taken old albums from my parents. That's how I got my original "Stevie 12 Year Old Genius" album. LOL!

Ecstasy was one of those records that the "older kids" played while "smoking" uh hummmm......hehehehehehehehehe!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Don't feel bad. I've taken old albums from my parents. That's how I got my original "Stevie 12 Year Old Genius" album. LOL!

Ecstasy was one of those records that the "older kids" played while "smoking" uh hummmm......hehehehehehehehehe!
    Hahaaaaaaaa!!!!

Name:  18527738_10154960827229930_6255480937528411261_n.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  66.2 KB
    RIP JS Theracon

Actually of all of the great losses of this year, and I'm including my most influential Maurice White, Junie's passing is still kinda like the one
    that bugs me to no end because to me he almost never got his due and his music is rarely discussed anywhere. The range and variety of his work on those albums Tim posted covers of is stunning. As much
    as I enjoyed him in P-funk the things he did pre, like Suzie Super Groupie 's Suzie ThunderTussy and post, Bread Alone's Anna knocked
    me the funk out. Later, like on 5 Junie like the rock band Genesis was
    exploring a lot of what later become today's electronica. One day maybe someone will try to make better understood what his gift was...

I'll be posting the 12" singles momentarily. I truly regret not meeting Junie face to face. Aside from one very positive email exchange, I never really had any real correspondence with him. Definitely one of the most phenomenal musicians of the past 40 years.

Very sad news. This retrospective is now available via pre-order on Amazon. I will definitely be getting it. A very underrated artist who I agreed never got his due!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER