Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
I am from England and I consider myself English but my passport calls me British. I've not yet thought of myself as European - probably because I am old school and our money is still sterling and not euros.

I have lived here for over 60 years and none of my friends or acquaintances have been prejudiced against anybody, that is until fairly recently with the huge influx of immigrants. I am aware prejudices did exist in some areas but it was minor and there is no way I would describe it as a "fair amount". From my personal experience, I only saw it when I met the friends of a person of African heritage that I was dating. That prejudice came from immigrants who brought their prejudices with them and not from those that were born here.

I don't know of any prejudice against Asians.

The recent change is more to do with the huge influx of muslims who cover their faces and do not want to participate in the British way of life. I have neighbours who will not mix with the rest of us or even say hello when we meet them in passageways. The older generation in particular are scared of such people because they do not understand and do not want to even try to understand.
Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  21.1 KB
I've seen LOTS of prejudice against Pakis and Indians and West Indians and Africans over my 60 years of visiting The UK. I have also seen prejudice and heard lots of people say bad things about Jews, as well [[I am Jewish). England and the rest of Britain was tremendously prejudiced in the 1950s and 1960s [[from where do you think the American way of thinking came?). I suppose the amount of prejudice and blind hatred has been reducing over time, as it has even in USA. But I still see it, even though I don't come to England so often, any more, nor stay as long as I did in the 1960s through early 1990s.

As to you and your friends, I suspect that you are educated, middle class or upper middle class progressive people, and not relatively lower-income working class [[where much of the prejudice lies, as it does in the long-time wealthy upper classes and former nobility).