Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
Not "Double Dutch Bus" by Frankie Smith. "Double Dutch" by Malcolm McLaren was a song that he and Trevor Horn did using South African acompaniment. It played tribute to New York City girls who were involved in competitive double dutch jump rope competitions at the time. It was on "Duck Rock", perhaps the most groundbreaking hip hop album ever and it is sincerely one of my favorite records. "Duck Rock" changed my musical perspective forever and made me a huge fan of African pop records.
It's too bad Malcolm didn't see fit to actually give credit to Mahlathini and the Mahotella Queens for their work on his album...Lots of American and British musicians have tagged
African artists to work on or be featured in their releases for years now.Think Paul Simon,
Peter Grabriel, David Byrne, even jazz musicians like Dee Dee Bridgewater, Bela Fleck
and Regina Carter, usually giving full credit. In fact all of the aforementioned always have.
But I got over Malcolm's slight enough to enjoy his work later with Bootsy Collins and you
know The Boot got full credit!....