[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by timmyfunk View Post
    Funk was in no way played out during this time. In fact, Funk definitely out lasted disco, as you still had major Funk hits going to number one long after the disco train derailed [[[[not just) Knee Deep, Funkin For Jamaica, and More Bounce To The Ounce immediately come to mind).
    All three of those were 1979/1980. Ross had that many disco hits during the same period, try to find some examples from 1983/84. In the downfall of any genre, there are always going to be "stragglers".

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    all three of those were 1979/1980. Ross had that many disco hits during the same period, try to find some examples from 1983/84.
    Madonna!!!

If it's danceable, it's DISCO - "Holiday", "Lucky Star", "Burning Up", "Angel", "Dress You Up", "Into The Groove"...
    Last edited by Ngroove; 02-28-2013 at 11:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ngroove View Post
    Madonna!!!

If it's danceable, it's DISCO - "Holiday", "Lucky Star", "Burning Up", "Angel", "Dress You Up", "Into The Groove"...
    Oh, I agree... but I was challenging him to name funk hits from 83/84 to support his claim that funk outlasted disco. I think they both lived about the same.

Madonna!!!

If it's danceable, it's DISCO .
    Nope. Is Does Your Mother Know That You're Out" by ABBA disco? You can dance to it...

The last bona-fide funk hit was probably "Word Up" or "Candy" by Cameo.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Nope. Is Does Your Mother Know That You're Out" by ABBA disco? You can dance to it...

The last bona-fide funk hit was probably "Word Up" or "Candy" by Cameo.
    What about "Da Butt" by E.U.? "Jerk Out" by The Time? "HouseQuake" and "Sign O The Times" by Prince?

What about "Da Butt" by E.U.? "Jerk Out" by The Time? "HouseQuake" and "Sign O The Times" by Prince?
    Forgot about "Housequake"!

I call EU "go-go" music, a genre that was popular particularly in the D.C. area in the 70s and 80s. It was given nationwide exposure primarily by bands like Chuck Brown & The Soul Searchers [["We The People", "Bustin' Loose"). By the time The Time came out with the "Pandemonium" album, I had given up on them. They just aren't the same without Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis. I don't even recall if Jesse Johnson was on that album.

Forgot about "Housequake"!

I call EU "go-go" music, a genre that was popular particularly in the D.C. area in the 70s and 80s. It was given nationwide exposure primarily by bands like Chuck Brown & The Soul Searchers [["We The People", "Bustin' Loose"). By the time The Time came out with the "Pandemonium" album, I had given up on them. They just aren't the same without Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis. I don't even recall if Jesse Johnson was on that album.
    And what is Go-Go music but a branch of the Funk music genre. In the end, Go-Go IS the Funk.

And what is Go-Go music but a branch of the Funk music genre. In the end, Go-Go IS the Funk.
    I agree! It ain't no disco, that's for sure!

By the time The Time came out with the "Pandemonium" album, I had given up on them. They just aren't the same without Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis. I don't even recall if Jesse Johnson was on that album.
    The complete and original Time-lineup was still together on that album, hence for Jesse getting expanded exposure to cut his axx on jams such as "Blondie" and "Skillett", or Morris nodding to Jesse to "cut it" during the breakdown of "Jerk Out". All that and more with Jam & Lewis on the ride with interviews, shows on Saturday Night Live, Arsenio Hall, plus a brief tour in Europe and Japan.

Cameo went briefly into the new wave-rock direction with tracks like "Alligator Woman", "Secrets Of Time", "This Life Is Not For Me", "Style", "Cameo's Dance", "Let's Not Talk Slot" and "L'eve Toi", before redirecting their formula with a customized and industrial beat in tracks such as "Single Life", "Word Up" and "Candy".

Madonna!!!

There's definitely a different Ngroove. Madonna's music would never be considered disco, dance yes but not disco

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    All three of those were 1979/1980. Ross had that many disco hits during the same period, try to find some examples from 1983/84. In the downfall of any genre, there are always going to be "stragglers".
    Let's see now: Atomic Dog by George Clinton, Dance Floor by Zapp, Early in The Morning by the Gap Band, Juicy Fruit by Mtume, Cold Blooded by Rick James. And those are just the number one hits. I didn't get into the Funk jams were rocked in the clubs that didn't hit the top ten. Please keep in mind that Funk wasn't just a genre. It was an musical outgrowth of Black experience. As long as the experience is alive, the music produced from that experience will live as well.

Let's see now: Atomic Dog by George Clinton, Dance Floor by Zapp, Early in The Morning by the Gap Band, Juicy Fruit by Mtume, Cold Blooded by Rick James. And those are just the number one hits. I didn't get into the Funk jams were rocked in the clubs that didn't hit the top ten. Please keep in mind that Funk wasn't just a genre. It was an musical outgrowth of Black experience. As long as the experience is alive, the music produced from that experience will live as well.
    Timmy, I would add "Rock It" - Herbie Hancock
    "Smurf"
    "Ain't Nobody" - Rufus featuring Chaka Khan
    "Mr. Groove" & "Cutie Pie" - Al Hudson and One Way
    "Pac Jam" - Jonzun Crew