It seems like the LOVE HANGOVER story is a bit of a mysterious one ....how it came to be. Was it conceived as a disco tune in the first place? Or did Hal Davis take it in that direction?

I've looked up Pam Sawyer and found a lengthy radio interview with her but unfortunately LOVE HANGOVER was not discussed.
A written magazine article with her turned out to be from 1973.
CALL HER MISS ROSS spends less than a page on LOVE HANGOVER.

I have a theory about the song and I thought before I investigate any further and perhaps find out I've got it totally wrong I'd present it:

So an overdue Diana Ross has kind of a hodgepodge LP being put together using several producers. Micheal Masser's productions have delivered her success including a recent #1 [MAHOGANY'S THEME] that's to be included , but for some reason he does only two other cuts for the album.

In the past, he and Pam Sawyer have written for Ross together. They do so again once here for the LP with I THOUGHT IT TOOK A LITTLE TIME .
But for LOVE HANGOVER Pam writes with Marilyn McLeod. Maybe for the first time?
Maybe its Marylin that comes up with the idea for LOVE HANGOVER and together they write the premise.

If Masser and Sawyer were in the habit of writing together specifically with Diana in mind ....perhaps this was to be the case with LOVE HANGOVER. But when Pam pitches their idea to Masser he is not impressed [particularity if its being suggested with a disco beat of which he has no interest.]
Masser does not further the song by joining in on the writing nor does he choose to produce it.

But Sawyer and McLeod still have a song idea. Enter Hal Davis with whom Pam has worked with before who does have some experience with disco under his belt with The Jackson Five especially the #1 DANCING MACHINE. He likes it and decides to run with it.

OK now let's back up a bit:

Still not resolved: how does the song LOVE HANGOVER itself come about??

It begins this way: The two ladies are brainstorming and just giving the process of songwriting together a whirl....

...to be continued