[REMOVE ADS]

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The Supremes vs The Andantes 1960-1967

Yeah, yeah, I know, you’re probably saying “Oh gosh, not another Andantes thread!” Sorry, but this one is a must.

So the argument on the table is that the Andantes recorded as the Supremes more than Florence and Mary did during Flo’s time in the group. I don’t believe that’s true and I’m going to lay out my case for you, the jury, against the accusation by going over all the Supremes albums released during the Flo years.

My priority is to deal with the official releases during that time. If I end up with the time, I may also do known outtakes. But again, my priority is what hit the street, what the public at the time- or rather who the public at the time- was hearing as Supremes.

Meet the Supremes- The original quartet and trio are on every song. “He’s 17” may have an Andante or other added vocalist in the harmony. My suspicion is that Raynoma herself is on the record. Flo and Mary= 11. Andantes= zero with an asterisk.

Where Did Our Love Go- Flo and Mary are on all the songs. There is question that they aren’t on “Run”. I hear what sounds to me like Florence, as well as HDH is all on this song. Flo and Mary= 12. Andantes= zero, but will admit there’s a slim chance they are on “Run”.

A Bit of Liverpool- Flo and Mary= 11. Andantes= zero.

Supremes Sing Country Western and Pop- The Andantes are added onto and/or singing along with Flo and Mary throughout the album. The only songs I don’t hear Andantes on are “You Didn’t Care”, “Lazy Bones”, “Sunset” and “Rock and Roll Banjo Band”. Flo and Mary= 11. Andantes= 7.

We Remember Sam Cooke- Flo and Mary= 11. Andantes= zero.

More Hits- Mary is on every song. Florence is on every song except “Mother Dear”. The Andantes are on “Stop”. Marlene is on “Mother Dear”. Mary= 12. Flo= 11. Andantes= 1.5.

Merry Christmas- I still swear I hear Flo on “Santa”, but I won’t officially count it. Flo and Mary= “zero”. Andantes= 12.

At the Copa- Flo and Mary= 13. Andantes= zero.

I Hear a Symphony- Diana has two solos. Flo and Mary are on every cut except “Without a Song” and “Any Girl In Love”, both of which have the Andantes instead. Flo and Mary= 8. Andantes= 2.

Supremes A Go Go- Diana has one solo. Flo is on every cut except “Hurry” and “Put Yourself In My Place”. Mary is on every cut except “Put Yourself In My Place”. The Andantes are on “Place” and Marlene is on “Hurry”. Flo= 9. Mary= 10. Andantes= 1.5.

Edit: I forgot that the Andantes are on "Come and Get These Memories" along with Mary and Flo. That would make it Andantes= 2.5.

Supremes Sing HDH- Flo and Mary are on every cut except “Same Old Song” and “No Stopping Us”, which is the Andantes. The Andantes are added onto “Love Is Here”, “Heat Wave” and “Going Down”. Flo and Mary= 10. Andantes= 2+3.

Supremes Sing Rodgers and Hart- Flo and Mary= 12. Andantes= zero.

Supremes Greatest Hits 1&2- Flo and Mary are on every cut except “There’s No Stopping Us Now”. The Andantes are added onto “Stop In the Name of Love”. Flo and Mary= 19. Andantes= 1.5.

Now, I’ve laid out my case for the jury. Anyone willing to argue against my findings? If so, please list which particular findings you dispute.

After final arguments, the jury will deliberate and come to a united consensus of the forum to state in finality whether or not the Andantes were on more Supremes records than the Supremes themselves. Thank you.
    Last edited by RanRan79; 01-03-2024 at 07:44 PM.