Am I the only one who has noticed just how sad the Supremes singles discography is? It's weird that when I [[and I assume I'm not alone here) think about the Supremes' music, it feels like "feel good" music. But when you examine those singles, very few were actually feel good stories.

"I Want a Guy" kicks it all off, where she is basically begging to get with somebody, anybody. Even "Buttered Popcorn" she is bemoaning her second place to her dude's popcorn obsession. "Your Heart Belongs To Me" is iffy, depending on your interpretation of the lyrics, and it's all downhill into heartbreak and relationship issues from there until "Lovelight", when she ends up getting the guy, even though she was a real witch. And then for the follow up, "Run, Run, Run", she's being warned that this dude [[presumably the same guy from "Lovelight") is bad news but she's going for it anyway. Next she's left asking this guy "Where did our love go", and things just continue to spiral until "Back In My Arms Again", at which point she's overjoyed with having him back. But he's back to his old tricks on "Nothing But Heartaches".

Then I guess they dump the chump and finally fall for somebody that has them hearing symphonies. But he bounces for "My World Is Empty". Presumably the girls are still going through the troubles because they're likening love to an itching in their hearts, being sick and being thirsty. "You Can't Hurry Love" has them single and almost desperate, but hopeful, so I guess that's more positive than not. But then it's back downhill into the abyss of bad relationships with "Hangin On", and the troubles don't stop until "Forever Came Today" when she finally gets somebody she can do "forever" with.

But forever don't last always cuz she single again for "Somethings You Never Get Used To". I guess she found somebody again because she's having to tell him he aint getting no coochie right now lest they create a "Love Child". I'll assume he bounced and Eddie comes along, with he and Diana declaring their devotion to one another. Apparently she marries "Eddie" and has a son, but it's all a big mess because she's ashamed of her mother, and her mother died making homemade jam, and...ugh, it was all a big mess. But "Eddie" was understanding, declaring his love again in "I'll Try Something New", even though he revealed a little bit of passive aggressive anger at her lies with that crack about his lovin being warm as mama's oven, knowing that her mother died making jam for bread that was in her oven.

However, it's nothing but good stuff for the next two singles, and then maybe some kind of acid trip for "The Weight", before getting a foot hold back on the hopeful train with "Someday We'll Be Together". And then it's happy ever after until "Nathan Jones". Back on track for "You Gotta Have Love". Even though she admits to knowing she's one of a million of "Floy Joy"'s girls, she's okay with it, so...

Everything is all good, perhaps the Supremes' longest streak of singles where everything is good, until "I Guess I'll Miss the Man" and then it's back downhill until "He's My Man". And then it's back down again until "High Energy", at which point this lady named Supremes finally gets a real happily ever after.

Anybody else notice this?