Once again, I'm realizing that sometimes stuff that went down at Motown seem a bit puzzling because we are so far removed from the context of the times in which those thing happened. Fortunately, [[or UNfortunately for my ever-shrinking living space) I love collecting old magazines and book from the 60s and 70s. I've learned a lot of things that make Motown's operating procedure make a lot more sense.

The Andantes being on almost EVERYONE's records? Easy. That was pretty much an industry practice that allowed records being performed by young amateurs to gain a more professional sound. Many of the young groups welcomed it. So Motown was just following something that everyone else had been doing.

How about the way Motown had its artists record so much of that old-people's music and [[whaaaa?) showtunes? I think all of us have figured out the reasoning, but again, if you didn't grow up back then, you're kind of stumbling around without a proper context.

Recently, I found an EBONY Magazine article [[a nice big one) that really, I mean really, does an exceptional job of putting into perspective why those standards and showtunes could be so crucial to a group's career and longevity. What do you do when the hits dry up? Cuz' if you're singing teenage music, trends change so fast, you're liable to find yourself on the junkheap of Yesterday's Trendsetters faster than you'd imagine.

The article profiles Martha & the Vandellas, the Supremes, the Four Tops as well as groups like Curtis Mayfield and the Impressions and Little Anthony & the Imperials. The Marvelettes and Shirelles are also mentioned. It's a great article that I posted on YouTube.

It's rather long so I pared it down to the main points. You may not care at all about all this backward-looking history, so you've already moved on to another thread. If you are even just a bit interested about what made Motown do some of the things they did, check it out here:
https://www.youtube.com/@Tomovox_PAM...gles/community

Name:  ebony 1.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  82.9 KBName:  ebony 2.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  69.0 KBName:  ebony 3.jpg
Views: 538
Size:  93.1 KBName:  ebony 4.jpg
Views: 538
Size:  93.1 KB