[REMOVE ADS]

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Guilty of Judging an Album by its Cover!

Name:  Vandellas - Watchout! album cover front.jpg
Views: 688
Size:  87.8 KB

This was and still is my favorite Martha & The Vandellas album cover [[and album.) My memories of this was that I saw it for years only on those inner sleeves of Motown albums. Even just seeing basically a thumbnail of the cover, I loved the color, the typeface of the title and the picture of Martha, Rosalind and Betty, seemingly in an "action" pose! I knew if the cover looked this good, the album HAD to be great too. Years later I finally scored that album. And it did not disappoint. Man, I'd sit and stare at that album cover while the music played. Such a bold look! The Robin Egg Blue cover with the purple "watchout!" and complimentary deep blue "vandellas", both in the same typeface [[California Grotesk is bout the closest I could identify it as)- it was aesthetically even better then I thought it would be. The look Martha has on her face is priceless! Such a powerful image- it even looks like she was singing 'WATCHOUT!" Betty and Rosalind looked like they were having fun singing along. Having the images and titles all at a tilt, that just added to the feeling of excitement. The Motown Art Department nailed it here.

On the flip side, I found out "Ridin' High" was the next album and I saw the cover. It was nice, but it didn't knock me out the way the "watchout!" cover did. When I got the album, I also found I wasn't as happy with the music as I was with "watchout!" I think I must have been looking for "watchout! Pt. 2", which is pretty unfair. After awhile though, I did begin to enjoy playing "Ridin' High"...but it still was never with the fever I had for "watchout!"

Name:  ridin high marthareevesthevandellas-ridinhigh.jpg
Views: 659
Size:  77.8 KB
    Last edited by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance; 02-17-2023 at 03:02 AM.