[REMOVE ADS]

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Four Tops Motown 622 MONO

Hello, I'm hoping the experienced Motown collectors can help me out here. I have a Four Tops album [[first album - Motown 622) in mono where I discovered a completely different vocal from the 45 mix and the stereo album for Without The One You Love [[Life's Not Worthwhile). It's a pretty cool alternate but I didn't think much about it since alternates have appeared on other mono albums like A Love She Can Count On from The Fabulous Miracles album.

I was in a record shop listening to a different mono Four Tops [[M-622) album and to my surprise, it had the non-alternate, regular Without The One You Love we all know. So I checked the dead wax and the matrix number is RR4M-6218-1, however the dead wax on the album with the alternate shows what appears to an original matrix number of RR3M-6301-1 corrected with a line through certain numbers to show the correct RR4M-6218-1 matrix. I have a picture of it but I'm embarrassed to say I don't know how to upload the picture to this site/post.

I would guess this album with the alternate is a first press.

Does anyone else have this album? Perhaps Keith or someone else with access at/to Motown can provide a backstory on this alternate mix? My interest is piqued since I haven't heard this mix on any CD or anthology prior to this "find" on the mono album. I appreciate any information at all that can be provided.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by justanothermotownfan; 03-31-2018 at 12:26 AM.