[REMOVE ADS]

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Universal doesn't want releases advertised anymore?

I just read on another music forum where a member received a message from Universal that reads:

UNIVERSAL:
    Universal no longer wish to have any of their tracks, downloads, albums or releases [[other than major album titles) within the release schedule disclosed
    I wonder if this has something to do with advertising something and then not being able to deliver the product. Could there have been another shake-up at the label? If this is true, who is making these decisions at the label?

I do have an idea of why they might be doing this. They have been releasing a lot of vinyl-only titles lately. But, when word gets out, they get criticized from the CD and download crowd, as not everyone does vinyl, and they don't want the potential loss of sales because of their decisions. A while back, they announced a Marvin Gaye EP in vinyl that some weren't too happy about, let alone that it it is a [[IMO) a useless waste of time. On another issue, they are getting criticized for a new forthcoming Beatles vinyl reissue.

As we know, record labels are very traditional, and still haven't quite adjusted to the realities of the internet, except that everyone now has an equal voice and opinion, and can post whatever they want on social media.
    Last edited by soulster; 07-30-2016 at 01:07 AM.