[REMOVE ADS]

joe tex video and fabulous bass line

GREAT BASS!!!!

This was a great dance record and I remember how awesome that bass sounded in clubs!

and Joe in a soulful mood....

That song does have a similarity to ""Rock your Baby", doesn't it?

Joe Tex was simply a groundbreaking soul and rhythm & blues artist. He's underrated, but was just as good a stage performer as James Brown, Solomon Burke and Otis Redding. Like Ray Charles, he could see the potential of making songs that could have been country hits as well as R&B. He had one of the best show bands and stage shows and was without peer in telling stories that just resonated with record buyers. Ain't Gonna Bump No More With No Big Fat Woman had a killer bass line.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 09-02-2013 at 02:49 PM.

the first time I saw Joe Tex LIVE was in Sept. 1966. I think the program my brother bought said Joe Tex Shower of Stars. The co-star was Mary Wells , the others were Lee Dorsey, Barbara Lewis, William Bell, Howard Tate, The Van Dykes, Mabel John, Peg Leg Moffat, & comedian Pigmeat Markham. The band was the Clyde Williams Orchestra which I think went on to be Joe Tex band. What a show for $3.00 although my Dad bought our tickets in advance for $2.50. There was a young lady named Shirley Walton who was Joe Tex female singer, she could really sing & was the first female singer I remember seeing with a real short Afro .

Hmmmm.......sorry, I have to disagree with you, Kam. Joe was not as important as James Brown, Jackie Wilson or Otis Redding on the show circit. They were the first line of greatest acts in the 1960's. Nor was his show anywhere near as good as James or Jackie's. He talked alot of sh_t from the stage, a bit crazy, lol, or funny, and copied more than a few James Brown steps and moves but could not dance like James.
    I'd catagorize him in that second teir group with Wilson Pickett, Sam & Dave, Solomon Burke, etc.....

S.S.

Maybe not as important as JB but just as good an entertainer, definitely better than Solomon Burke and Redding, who couldn't dance well. When I think about it, I DID OVERSTATE IT some, so i'll correct it. I didn't consider Jackie Wilson. Jackie was a bad entertainer, but his music sort of waned in the Sixties.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 09-02-2013 at 02:53 PM.

I love the vamp near the end of the album version. "'Cause it takes two hands to handle a whopper"! LOL! Y'all remember that Burger King commercial from the 70s!

Awesome. Also saw Joe Tex @ 1966 at the Uptown.

In the full version of Ain't Gonna Bump...the groove move from what is probably one of the few disco rhythms I've ever thought genius to a stomping latin funk beat that I still enjoy.
    Oh, and BTW, taking nothing from JB's legacy, it's already been documented that the Godfather copied some of his moves from Joe including his handling of the mic stand, cold
    cocking himself in the face several times before mastering it....

Splanky, are you talking about when the horns come in? I went to youtube and if that's what you're talking about, it is baddddddddddd.

AND NOW, BURBLING BASS.........

And Joe in a LIVE, soulful rendition of Green Green Grass Of Home

Nosey, that's exactly where I'm talking about...At 3:42 the horns take on a new aggression
    and the polyrhythms build up with Joe riding the groove with shout outs offering the big fat
    woman to first Tyrone Davis then Bobby Womack. It's a riot on wax...

splanky, I don't where that story stemmed from but....I can tell you hands down that Joe was not the entertainer James was. JB's Revue was by far better than any others of the era. I went to many shows where both performed, a lot more of JB's because he WAS the best act anywhere around, followed by the Jackie Wilson Show. Saw them all, all over the east coast circit.

S.S.

Soul Sister, again, I never said Joe had as big an act or better show than James but the stories
    come from the accounts of the people who there at the time of their rivalry. James had a
    tremendous ego and almost never gave credit to any other man who in any way made an
    impression on him. But members of his band have spoken of the history between them,
    the woman who'd been with both of them, Bea Ford, and James's actions. As a comparison,
    no Soul Train dancer ever became as world famous as Michael Jackson but that doesn't mean
    he didn't pick up a few tips from them.....

the only act I ever saw onstage that could come close to James Brown as far as pure excitement was the Ike & Tina Turner Revue.However, I did hear something about the mike trick & Joe Tex way back & knew there was no love lost between James & Joe...I heard Bea Ford was actually Mrs. Joe Tex when she ran off with James.

I cannnot disagree with any of that, splanky. True about James personality but I was strictly speaking of his show moves. Finally yes, everyone cops moves from everyone before them. JB copied the moonwalk from Bill Robinson and MJ from JB. No debate.

S.S.

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    Nosey, that's exactly where I'm talking about...At 3:42 the horns take on a new aggression
    and the polyrhythms build up with Joe riding the groove with shout outs offering the big fat
    woman to first Tyrone Davis then Bobby Womack. It's a riot on wax...
    Exactly! It was a formula funskters used when they were forced to do disco, they would start off as a lite disco sound, as as the song progresses, it would morph into a heavier funk jam. Rick James used the same formula on "You And I".