[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Where is this version of "Floy Joy" from?

It's been a long time, but is this the released 45 version of "Floy Joy"?

supremester Guest
    It's an extended 45 in stereo that went out to radio to boost it when it went top 20 but was losing momentum. It was just another way Motown was trying to kill the group: using reverse psychology on program directors and the public by putting out a much better and longer mix for a song in good rotation and less than stellar retail reports.

I never got into this song.

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    I never got into this song.
    i always thought "floy joy" was a single that tried to recapture the sound of the early h/d/h hits like "jimmy mack" or "where did our love go". it worked well as a pop confection.

supremester Guest
    I was OK on it, but didn't buy it. I think using two voices was good but Mary was a bit too husky, plus that middle eight was weak. It could have hit bigger with a little work - they did it on TV several times.

It was too early in the 70's for a "retro" song. Besides that, the early 70's were turbulent and music had gone into a different direction. It was a silly song.

supremester Guest
    Any song and any style worked if it was well produced and this was just a little weak. I think the nucleus was there for a top ten hit - unlike say, Touch - what a piece of crap that train wreck was - commercially speaking, of course. I know some like it - but no way in hell would that ever get to radio. Like Ross' Reach Out I'll Be There: a little work and you have a smash, but as presented, it pretty much maxed itself...... or was it lack of promotion? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by thisoldheart View Post
    i always thought "floy joy" was a single that tried to recapture the sound of the early h/d/h hits like "jimmy mack" or "where did our love go". it worked well as a pop confection.
    I think that is exactly what it was meant to be thisoldheart ..

It went Top 10 in the U.K. but then we were still very much into that classic h-d-h type sound and only a few months previously the ELGINS version of "Heaven Must Have Sent You" had gone Top 3, and a year or so before that a re-promotion of "Jimmy Mack" itself had grazed the U.K. Top 20.

I tend to put it in the same category as Smokey's "I Don't Blame You At All" which was out about 6 months earlier and also seemed to be very "retro".

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    I think that is exactly what it was meant to be thisoldheart ..

It went Top 10 in the U.K. but then we were still very much into that classic h-d-h type sound and only a few months previously the ELGINS version of "Heaven Must Have Sent You" had gone Top 3, and a year or so before that a re-promotion of "Jimmy Mack" itself had grazed the U.K. Top 20.

I tend to put it in the same category as Smokey's "I Don't Blame You At All" which was out about 6 months earlier and also seemed to be very "retro".

Roger
    Floy Joy peaked at number five on the Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs charts, number sixteen on the American pop singles chart . I remember it being very popular at the time. I just can't remember if this was the version played at our Jr. High sock hops at the time. LOL!

i liked it and agree it has a retro feel

Loved it from the start,Floy Joy was a Hit,The Supremes Mary Cindy and Jean were great on this track,when they,with new member Lynda Laurence perform it on Soul Train,they looked like they were having so much fun,you could always tell,that Don love The Supremes,from the 70s,Please stay positive

The Supremes "Floy Joy," gave me a lot of joy and this remix works for me too!

I just dont get it; did nothing for me. Paled so in comparison to the Frank Wilson recordings. After the soulful sophistication of Right On, New Ways and Touch...To each his own though. I loved Jimmy Webb and know most dont get that!!

Luke, The Supremes Jimmy Webb sessions are very fine indeed. I really enjoyed listening to the remastered box set version released awhile back. Call me a Supremes fan, I love it all!

You go RMark. Me too! The only other significant Supreme thing I struggle with is Bad Weather but I like it more now.

When I first heard Floy Joy [[I bought it without hearing it) I went yuck. But it grew on me. After the failure of Touch I really didn't expect this to do much better because it was clearly a WDOLG re-working. Like the song or not, I would find myself singing "Floy, Floy, Floy...Floy Joy." It just grew on you and it was actually a solid hit record for the grouping, Peaking at No 16 pop on both Cash Box and Billboard.

It sounded even better live. Cindy was given more to do on stage.

The Andantes are clearly used here. The only time I hear just the Supremes is on the line "How much joy do I get from you."

"Floy Joy" is a good song. It's a clear throwback to the 60's Supremes/HDH sound. My favorite single from the Floy Joy album would have to be "Your Wonderful Sweet Sweet Love." That should have been the single to follow "Floy Joy" and I'm surprised the song never charted in the top 40. It clearly could have been a bigger hit [[top 10 or top 20) if Motown pushed it. I'm surprised "Automatically Sunshine" charted higher. That's an album filler tune at best.

I truly don't hear any other hits on the Floy Joy album other than the title cut. Hurting Sweet Love, other than the lack of promotion, is that it got some FM airplay when the album was issued. It's also an odd song in terms of the backing vocals and the overall arrangement. Not to mention the Rudy Vallee megaphone sound. It's just too busy. Many people felt an edit of Now The Bitter, Now The Sweet would have done well, but I don't hear it. The Floy Joy is kinda bland, definitely a budget album. Sparse instrumentation, no strings or big arrangements like Frank Wilson and HDH did on the group.

Jean Terrell was very unhappy with the Floy Joy sessions. She felt strongly that it was the wrong direction for the group. She put everything into the Jim Webb sessions which fared even worse. A great talent grossly misused.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    I truly don't hear any other hits on the Floy Joy album other than the title cut. Hurting Sweet Love, other than the lack of promotion, is that it got some FM airplay when the album was issued. It's also an odd song in terms of the backing vocals and the overall arrangement. Not to mention the Rudy Vallee megaphone sound. It's just too busy. Many people felt an edit of Now The Bitter, Now The Sweet would have done well, but I don't hear it. The Floy Joy is kinda bland, definitely a budget album. Sparse instrumentation, no strings or big arrangements like Frank Wilson and HDH did on the group.

Jean Terrell was very unhappy with the Floy Joy sessions. She felt strongly that it was the wrong direction for the group. She put everything into the Jim Webb sessions which fared even worse. A great talent grossly misused.
    I think "Over And Over" wouldn't have been a bad choice. But althought I like the album alot, nothing really SCREAMS hit single to me. The only JMC song that I felt really missed the boat not being a single was "Here Comes The Sunrise". "Now The Bitter, Now The Sweet" is a good song to smoke a joint to.

stopinthenameoflove Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    "Floy Joy" is a good song. It's a clear throwback to the 60's Supremes/HDH sound. My favorite single from the Floy Joy album would have to be "Your Wonderful Sweet Sweet Love." That should have been the single to follow "Floy Joy" and I'm surprised the song never charted in the top 40. It clearly could have been a bigger hit [[top 10 or top 20) if Motown pushed it. I'm surprised "Automatically Sunshine" charted higher. That's an album filler tune at best.
    I agree with you in that I absolutely love 'Your Wonderful Sweet Sweet Love'. I actually think that it sounds a little like a prelude to 'Bad Weather', which I like a lot too. Where I disagree with you is that I like 'Automatically Sunshine' too! The sheet music is actually on my bedroom wall, with one of my fave Supes pics on the front, even though my least fave Supe is there too

I love the TOUCH album now, but at first it didn't grab me. I agree that Hear Comes The Sunrise, remixed perhaps, would have been a better follow up than Touch.

The biggest miss on a Supremes single was Together We Can Make Such Sweet Music from the New Ways lp. Jean's opening vocal riff was incredible. The whole song was done superbly.

When I first heard Floy Joy [[I bought it without hearing it) I went yuck. But it grew on me. After the failure of Touch I really didn't expect this to do much better because it was clearly a WDOLG re-working. Like the song or not, I would find myself singing "Floy, Floy, Floy...Floy Joy." It just grew on you and it was actually a solid hit record for the grouping, Peaking at No 16 pop on both Cash Box and Billboard.

It sounded even better live. Cindy was given more to do on stage.

The Andantes are clearly used here. The only time I hear just the Supremes is on the line "How much joy do I get from you."
    The Andantes are not on this song, "Floy Joy" according to someone that was in the studio when it was recorded. They were not added later either. It is only Mary, Jean and Cindy.

"You're Wonderful Sweet, Sweet Love" was one of the most soulful and danceable records the Supremes ever did:

Smokey did what he said he would do with "Your Wonderful Sweet, Sweet Love". He put Mary's backing vocals right up front where they belong, the musicians were kicking in a groove straight out of the hood of Detroit. Heck that song got so funky, Smokey himself joined on the background! LOL! Jean was tearing it up to boot....... glorious!
    Last edited by marv2; 08-22-2013 at 07:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    I think "Over And Over" wouldn't have been a bad choice. But althought I like the album alot, nothing really SCREAMS hit single to me. The only JMC song that I felt really missed the boat not being a single was "Here Comes The Sunrise". "Now The Bitter, Now The Sweet" is a good song to smoke a joint to.
    "Now The Bitter, Now The Sweet" is a classic among those that know good, good music. I liked the whole album. I liked that it was different from Frank's productions and used all three ladies more and more.

The Andantes are all over the Floy Joy single and album where they are given a credit. I don't hear Mary or Cindy on Wonderful Sweet Love except during the bridge

The Andantes are all over the Floy Joy single and album where they are given a credit. I don't hear Mary or Cindy on Wonderful Sweet Love except during the bridge
    They are NOT all over that album. Don't ask Marlene........ask Smokey and Mary if you can't hear with your own ears.

maybe The Andantes SHOULD have been on the album...if ya know what I mean...

Always found "Your Wonderful Sweet Sweet Love" a strange one mix-wise. It was much older than I realized at the time too. Kim Weston's version did nothing for me either. Not a great Motown moment at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    maybe The Andantes SHOULD have been on the album...if ya know what I mean...
    Andantes or no Andantes, you knew after Floy Joy that the Supremes were old and done; everything that could have gone wrong went wrong - releasing Touch and its failure, Pedro and the mismanagement, the infighting and changing members which caused Motown to go "hands off", and nothing really happening at all except getting boo'ed at Madison Square Garden and accepting bookings in South Africa which hurt them terribly.

Over and Over would have been better as a single to my ears than either Automatically Sunshine or You're Wonderful Wonderful Sweet Sweet Love. Both of the later songs are pretty choppy and a little bit stop and start.

Floy Joy the single kicked off pretty well but it is clearly a little bit teenybopperish now. The start is strong. But the album didn't do well because there isn't much else there; I was hoping Over and Over would come next. Now the Bitter, Now the Sweet shouldn't even have made the album; it's the weakest of the lot.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Andantes or no Andantes, you knew after Floy Joy that the Supremes were old and done; everything that could have gone wrong went wrong - releasing Touch and its failure, Pedro and the mismanagement, the infighting and changing members which caused Motown to go "hands off", and nothing really happening at all except getting boo'ed at Madison Square Garden and accepting bookings in South Africa which hurt them terribly.

Over and Over would have been better as a single to my ears than either Automatically Sunshine or You're Wonderful Wonderful Sweet Sweet Love. Both of the later songs are pretty choppy and a little bit stop and start.

Floy Joy the single kicked off pretty well but it is clearly a little bit teenybopperish now. The start is strong. But the album didn't do well because there isn't much else there; I was hoping Over and Over would come next. Now the Bitter, Now the Sweet shouldn't even have made the album; it's the weakest of the lot.
    You sound borderline retarded or as if you've been drinking! How can a song about a player and his ho's be considered teeny bopperish? Get outta dodge with your square talk! LOL!!!!

The biggest miss on a Supremes single was Together We Can Make Such Sweet Music from the New Ways lp. Jean's opening vocal riff was incredible. The whole song was done superbly.
    I wholeheartedly agree! Why Motown didn't issue that as a follow-up to "Stoned Love" is beyond me. It's a lush, incredible production. It may have helped the album sales. New Ways, But Love Stays could have been a stellar concept album if they had dropped "Is There A Place [[In His Heart For Me)," "Come Together," and "Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye." In fact, "The Loving Country" would have been more appropriate on there than Right On.

I thought that Floy Joy was to bring the Supremes back into the POP market after Touch Failed.
    Together We Can Make Such Sweet Music was supposed to be the follow up to Stoned Love but was given to the Spinners for some odd reason and one of the fan club newsletters named Here Comes The Sunrise as the next single after NJ but ....Touch was finally released.
    I also thought Now The Bitter could have been a single and I liked Automaitcally Sunshine. thought FLOY was a good POP lp. all in all I think the SUPREMES faired well. I think it was BG decision to close down the Detroit location and move everything and everyone to Hollywood. at this point he only cared about making movies.
    if u didn't write your own material such as Marvin or Stevie....u were lost.
    Bad Weather wasn't pop and also suffered from the closing of the Detroit location.
    I would have also released LIFE BEATS as a single

My ears obviously hear better than yours Marvin. The Andantes were dubbed over the Floy Joy single in late 1971. When the song took off Motown ordered Smokey to do an album. The Andantes were usually added to the mix after the Supremes laid down their vocal. Sometimes they are on the whole song, sometimes on just certain parts. But there is no mistaking the full sound of the Andantes

My ears obviously hear better than yours Marvin. The Andantes were dubbed over the Floy Joy single in late 1971. When the song took off Motown ordered Smokey to do an album. The Andantes were usually added to the mix after the Supremes laid down their vocal. Sometimes they are on the whole song, sometimes on just certain parts. But there is no mistaking the full sound of the Andantes
    You gotta be out of your mind Richard if you think I am going to believe you over the artists and producer and my own ears!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    You gotta be out of your mind Richard ...
    You sound borderline retarded or as if you've been drinking!
    Are we all allowed to insult members during discussions or is that option only allowed to Marv?

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Are we all allowed to insult members during discussions or is that option only allowed to Marv?
    You do it everyday whenever you mention my name and I am not communicating directly with you. You sit around just waiting to pick a fight. Instigator!

I have never heard the Andantes on Floy Joy. Why would we not believe the producer and singer ?? Whaaaat? WDOLG was brilliant and haunting. Floy Joy was certainly in an entirely different league.

You do it everyday whenever you mention my name and I am not communicating directly with you. You sit around just waiting to pick a fight. Instigator!
    I don't think I've ever called you - or anyone else here - retarded or stupid , or told you that you are out of your mind, or told you to mind your own business . I will accept the term instigator. I guess it annoys me when I see a discussion going on and the only way to make your point is to insult people.

It throws the whole topic off. And I can say the same about this post which is also throwing the topic off.

So, if the only way that you can communicate your thoughts is to insult people, continue.

I'm thankful that my parents taught me a better way to make a point and have a discussion.

Sorry I brought this further off topic. Back to Floy Joy

supremester Guest
    I think Floy joy is a good enough record - just not enough to push my "purchase" button - I think maybe it's trying too hard to copy the old formula but whatever - it was a hit for JMC. I agree about the first 2 Frank Wilsons - Touch - not so much. Jimmy Webb is good but what was he thinking could go out as a single? Its an LP full of album cuts - nice ones - but album cuts. I don't understand Motown releasing albums without singles on them. If BG was so into Ross and didn't like Ain't No Mountain - WTF was he planning on sending out as a 45? Of the Ross/JMC albums out thru '73, Right On and Touch Me In The Morning were the only ones with serious hit potential tracks besides their one hit song - IF that. THERE WAS NOTHING ELSE ON touch, NEW ways, JIMY webb, LAST time I SAw HIM, surrender ..........it was slim pickins, baby. I DISAGREE WITH TOGETHER we COULD make SUCH sweet MUSIC - I think the lyric is corny and would never have gotten any real airplay - especially after a great hit like Stoned Love. The only other chance for a hit on that IMHO is Time To Break Down and it doesn't even have an ending. I bought Automatically Sunshine cuz it sounded good on the radio and I missed not buying their stuff - its just OK, though I like Mary & Jean on it despite that awful lyric in the chorus LOL.
    Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    I just dont get it; did nothing for me. Paled so in comparison to the Frank Wilson recordings. After the soulful sophistication of Right On, New Ways and Touch...To each his own though. I loved Jimmy Webb and know most dont get that!!

supremester Guest
    Did Motown not push it? They pushed the first two singles, bothered to put out a third, got them on TV doing it, but didn't push it? I don't believe that, sorry. It's illogical. Motown pushjed lots of records that didnt respond and got huge hits off records they never pushed. You can't make the public buy a record they don't like. I think it's a killer track but Jean's vocal is too sloppy to follow easily on the radio and whoever is on bg sounds awful. It sounds like Smokey, Mary & Cindy but I can't tell. A little work on this and you have a big hit, I think. Jean sounds great on it but doesn't enunciate well enough - which is tugh since the notes bounce all over so much.

supremester Guest
    The session logs beg to differ, dear. Smokey thanks them on the album cover for a reason - they are there and deserve to be recognized, admired and rewarded. Ask MARY??? LOLOL C'mon - Mary is not exactly known for her innate veracity - especially on this subject. In her fictional autobiography, she clearly states that AFTER Flo left, Motown used the Andantes so the public would get used to Diane's voice without The Supremes. LOLOLOLOL What a crock! The public was hearing her voice without Mary, Flo, cindy whoever and never gave a damn since 1963.
    Last edited by supremester; 08-23-2013 at 03:00 AM.

supremester Guest
    And YOU ARE out of yours just for making that statement cuz neither Smokey nor Mary nor Jean EVER said The Andantes are not on that project. And no, they never told you personally and in private when you were all hanging out in Smokey's basement one hot summer Detroit evening. Either.

supremester Guest
    I love these discussions - love learning how these songs are received by the major fans. I was pretty adept at picking hits [[with the minor exception of predicting failure for Endless Love) IMO: Now the Bitter was not single material at all. Over and over..............not as strong as the weak Automatically Sunshine but definitely bettter than Touch. Life Beats? The verse is so banal melodically that Jean cannot overcome it. Miss Ross might have fared better, but leaving it in the can was the best idea, I think. I do like the chorus and think it could have hit with a better lead verse line. Then We Can Try Again, You Move Me, Wait A Minute, Time To Break Down, and maybe, I Wish I Was Your Mirror which has some strengths and some weaknesses for top 40. Jean's vocals on Right On were ideal for top 40 - even But i Love You More [[just take off the "h" sound before "any" ............"......than I'll ever love hennyone..." lokl

Speaking of songs that should have been hits, "It's Time To Break Down" is one of the great "unknown" Supremes songs [[although it has been sampled at least three times): http://www.whosampled.com/It's-Time-.../The-Supremes/

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    I love these discussions - love learning how these songs are received by the major fans. I was pretty adept at picking hits [[with the minor exception of predicting failure for Endless Love) IMO: Now the Bitter was not single material at all. Over and over..............not as strong as the weak Automatically Sunshine but definitely bettter than Touch. Life Beats? The verse is so banal melodically that Jean cannot overcome it. Miss Ross might have fared better, but leaving it in the can was the best idea, I think. I do like the chorus and think it could have hit with a better lead verse line. Then We Can Try Again, You Move Me, Wait A Minute, Time To Break Down, and maybe, I Wish I Was Your Mirror which has some strengths and some weaknesses for top 40. Jean's vocals on Right On were ideal for top 40 - even But i Love You More [[just take off the "h" sound before "any" ............"......than I'll ever love hennyone..." lokl
    Are you able to pick out hits of songs released now in 2013, or is your ability limited to songs from 30-50 years ago?

Like i said,a lot of people here say negative things,for a reaction,i really LOVED the Floy Joy album,i wish Smokey had done another album with The Supremes from the 70s,he really knew how to produce Mary and Jean, singing lead.[[to me)Please stay positive

Quote Originally Posted by REDHOT View Post
    Like i said,a lot of people here say negative things,for a reaction,i really LOVED the Floy Joy album,i wish Smokey had done another album with The Supremes from the 70s,he really knew how to produce Mary and Jean, singing lead.[[to me)Please stay positive
    Reading some of these post I feel some of you don't realize that these songs were recorded and released 41 years ago. I bought the Floy Joy single with my own money when I was in the 4th grade. I remember it being a fun song that my 4th grade class enjoyed and danced to. I remember my teaching having a good time dancing to it as well. Not bad for a top twenty record that I'm sure other artist would have died for in the 70's. I really enjoyed the 70's Supremes singles and albums in the 70's. The lp that I couldn't get into back then was the Jimmy Webb album, that I have since grown to appreciate and like much better now than back in the 70's.

You sound borderline retarded or as if you've been drinking! How can a song about a player and his ho's be considered teeny bopperish? Get outta dodge with your square talk! LOL!!!!
    I'm not sure about others, but I find the use of the word "retarded" to be very, very offensive.

I can't believe the forum has opened the door to let users spew out slurs to get their point across.

How disappointing.