[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Floy Joy and especially Automatically Sunshine had a real 60ish flavor. I like the Floy Joy Album, stand outs were A heart Like Mine and the Wisdom Of Time, It was a mixture of 60's and early 70's sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    I'm not sure about others, but I find the use of the word "retarded" to be very, very offensive.

I can't believe the forum has opened the door to let users spew out slurs to get their point across.

How disappointing.
    Thanks MB for noticing it too. I pointed it out a few posts above, and Marv called me an institgator.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    You gotta be out of your mind Richard ...
    You sound borderline retarded or as if you've been drinking!
    I asked if we all allowed to insult members during discussions or if that option is only allowed to Marv?

I can answer my own question. When Ralph sees [[or is told about these Marv insults) his silence is deafening. I guess Marv is omnipotent here. And when you or I say that a word like retarded is insulting, we are called instigators.

As I said to Marv above, I am glad that I had a good upbringing and was taught how to get a point across in a conversation without insulting someone or calling them derogatory names.

Thanks for backing me up on this [[you little instigator )
    Last edited by milven; 08-23-2013 at 01:20 PM. Reason: to instigate more

Marybrewster, I urge you to complain to the moderator and then the board owner. The owner seems more interested in stopping these insults than the moderator seems to. Indeed, the name calling and profanity is out of control with this one particular poster who has been banned from virtually every board but this one. Speak up!

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    Marybrewster, I urge you to complain to the moderator and then the board owner. The owner seems more interested in stopping these insults than the moderator seems to. Indeed, the name calling and profanity is out of control with this one particular poster who has been banned from virtually every board but this one. Speak up!
    I was pleased to be called the "r" word by Marv because it confirmed his general poor conduct and to be placed in league with other people he has maligned was very comfortable for me.

Marv does not appear to understand using that word and many others he uses only show his prejudice and bigotry, together with his mean spirited nature.

It does not do anything to elevate the quality of the forum to talk like that or allow that kind of talk.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    I'm not sure about others, but I find the use of the word "retarded" to be very, very offensive.
    I find it offensive as well as I have a mentally challenged brother and cousin.

To stay on topic though I liked the unedited version of Floy Joy the best, the one that appeared on the 2000 Boxset. I just wish there was a stereo version of it. The Andantes are definitely on the song but I do hear Cindy during the chorus. I just wish they gave Cindy a lead too, if Mary got one then Cindy should have too. It seemed unfair to me.

Yes the moderator seems to be snowed by Marv, but Lowell is not. Appeal to the owner of this site for action.

I liked Floy Joy lp but only a few tracks from Jimmy Webb. I don't like the extras vocals at all but I thought WHEN CAN BROWN BEGIN was a good track. TIME TO BREAK DOWN was good.
    I will say that I have a good ear for hits as well and I do think LIFE BEATS had potential.
    I also think MAY HIS LOVE SHINE ON may have been an out take from NEW WAYS.
    there was also[[FYI) one out take from Floy Joy.....????cant remember the title,,,anyone else?
    I do think the supremes live versions of YOUR WONDERFUL SWEET SWEET LOVE and BAD WEATHER were better than the actual 45 versions.

after listening to the LIVE IN JAPAN , I think their was really good vocal harmony with JML so why they used extras vocals is beyond me, just my opinion

supremester Guest
    It didn't even last 20 years. It started in late '64-early '65 sometime and ended abruptly with Endless love - which I was not only wrong about, I questioned if it would get above 70. I was still able, like everyone else, to know a killer record like Who Can It Be Now would be huge, and that pieces Of Ice would tank [[you don't have to be a chicken to know a bad egg) but while it was "on" I was EXTREMELY accurate. Still - not 100% I didn't think All I Need would crack the top ten or that my fave of faves: Gladys' Nitty Gritty would go top 20. Also, I thought Do You See My Love For You Growing and its My Turn would be bigger - some others, Im sure but other than that, it was like I knew where it would go when I first heard it. After Endless love, my Ross vibe was way off. Why do Fools, Mirror mirror and Muscles all surprised me hitting top ten and Up Front was just the opposite. When you lose it, you lose it.
    Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Are you able to pick out hits of songs released now in 2013, or is your ability limited to songs from 30-50 years ago?

LOL This whole post is about The Supremes Floy Joy Album,and here we go,someone wants to talk about any, and everything that has nothing to do with the Floy Joy album,if that's what you want to do,start another post,REALLY? LOL p.s i love Mary's lead on A Hart Like Mine,i can also hear her in the background.Please stay positive

supremester Guest
    It wasn't about talent or even harmony - it was just "the sound" people had. The Andantes were brilliant at diversifying their sounds: they could drone like Vandellas, oooooo like Supremes and Marv like the Marvelettes. It's no insult to the groups themselves. I love the bgs on Someday & Love Child - 2 of Motowns biggest hits of the 60's - would anyone here prefer Mary & Cindy on those bgs instead?? JLM were all very strong singers but obviously not the sound that Jimmy Webb wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by davidh View Post
    after listening to the LIVE IN JAPAN , I think their was really good vocal harmony with JML so why they used extras vocals is beyond me, just my opinion

lol,REALLY?

personally, although it is water under the bridge now, if I buy a cd that reads THE SUPREMES, then that is what I am expecting, NOT the andantes, the blossoms or anyone else but.....just my opinion

by the way, in regard to the 'predictions' post.. "It's My Turn" was a Top Ten hit, peaked at #9 on the Billboard Hot 100, hardly in the same class as "Do You See My Love For You Growing",which was a great, fabulous track, but peaked at #32, didn't even break the pop Top Thirty..

"Floy Joy [[Unedited Version)"

[[William "Smokey" Robinson)

[ALL]
    Floy, Floy, Floy
    Floy Joy

Floy, Floy, Floy
    Floy Joy

Floy, Floy, Floy
    Floy Joy

[MARY]
    You're the man
    I know I'll never own you, Floy
    But see me when you can

[JEAN]
    Ooh, ooh, I know I'm only one of a million girls
    Who would give their world for you
    Floy Joy

[ALL]
    Floy, Floy, Floy
    Floy Joy

[MARY]
    That's your name
    Your real name may be Smith or Jones
    But not your claim to fame

[JEAN]
    Oh, it's a joy, boy
    Any girl who knew you at all
    Would have to call you
    Floy Joy

[ALL]
    Floy, Floy, Floy
    Floy Joy

[JEAN]
    You don't leave a girl too much choice now, Floy
    Oh yeah

[ALL]
    Floy, Floy, Floy
    Floy Joy

[MARY]
    I get a thrill when I hear your voice now, Floy

[ALL]
    Floy, Floy, Floy
    Floy Joy
    How much joy do I get from you?

[JEAN]
    You give me so much pleasure
    It's impossible to measure---

[ALL]
    Whoo!
    Floy, Floy, Floy
    Floy Joy

[MARY]
    You're the man
    I hope in some way, form, or fashion
    I fit in your plan

[JEAN]
    Ahhhhhhhhh, take me
    I wanna give myself to you
    And live my whole life through, I do, Floy Joy

[ALL]
    Floy, Floy, Floy
    Floy Joy

[JEAN]
    Mm-mmmmm
    I want to give myself to you alone now Floy

[ALL]
    Floy, Floy, Floy
    Floy Joy

[JEAN]
    Yours to call your very own now, Floy

[ALL]
    Floy, Floy, Floy
    Floy Joy

[JEAN]
    'Cause I love you, yes I do, oh, Floy Joy

[ALL]
    Ohhhhh
    Floy, Floy, Floy
    Floy Joy

[JEAN]
    Let me hear you just one more time
    Say it again

[ALL]
    Floy, Floy, Floy
    Floy Joy

[JEAN]
    Let me hear you say it one more time
    Say it again

[ALL]
    Floy, Floy, Floy
    Floy Joy

Will it be a smash...or does it suck???? During the 70s, 80s, 90s and early 2000s I was lucky enough to be an "Air Personality" [[disc jockey) at several of the USA's legendary poRp radio stations. That means from 4 to 6 hours 6 days a week I heard nothing but America's top 40 hits [[headphones on studio monitors cranked all the way up)... When I listened to music away from work I wasn't so concerned with analyzing
    what I listened to for number one hit potential. I DO like good pop music however. I liked "Floy Joy" and the infamous "Touch" and even "Bad
    Weather". I didn't give a rat's booty how they did on the charts.... They sounded good to my ears. Back at the radio job I DO remember 3 times when I KNEW a record would be number one the first time I heard it just walking thru the hallways at the radio station [[1) I Love The Nightlife-Alicia Bridges [[2)"Emotion-Samantha Sang [[3) Dreamlover-Mariah Carey.... I also knew All I Want For Christmas[[Is You) was a "balls to the wall" smash. When I was away from the job I just relaxed, listened and didn't stress about what I listened to so I could listen to records like Floy Joy, Touch and Bad Weather without wondering or caring if I would ever hear them through my headphones or on the studio monitors at work.
    Last edited by LuvHangOva; 08-24-2013 at 05:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LuvHangOva View Post
    Will it be a smash...or does it suck???? During the 70s, 80s, 90s and early 2000s I was lucky enough to be an "Air Personality" [[disc jockey) at several of the USA's legendary pop radio stations. That means from 4 to 6 hours 6 days a week I heard nothing but America's top 40 hits [[headphones on studio monitors cranked all the way up)... When I listened to music away from work I wasn't so concerned with analyzing
    what I listened to for number one hit potential. I DO like good pop music however. I liked "Floy Joy" and the infamous "Touch" and even "Bad
    Weather". I didn't give a rat's booty how they did on the charts.... They sounded good to my ears. Back at the radio job I DO remember 3 times when I KNEW a record would be number the first time I heard it [[1) I Love The Nightlife-Alicia Bridges [[2)"Emotion-Samantha Sang [[3) Dreamlover-Mariah Carey.... I also knew All I Want For Christmas[[Is You) was a "balls to the wall" smash. When I was away from the job I just relaxed, listened and didn't stress about what I listened to so I could listten to records like Floy Joy, Touch and Bad Weather without wondering or caring if I would ever hear them through my headphones or on the studio monitors
    Great post Luvhangova. I am pretty much the same way when it comes to music. Either I like it or I don't. I liked "Floy Joy".

I have to agree with you also Luvhahova,Over And Over,love it lol,Please stay positive

I am amazed at some of the comments on here. Supremester I agree with you about that hennyone I thought I was the only one that noticed that.....LOL IMO Now the Bitter Now the Sweet would not make a good single! I have always felt that other than Floy Joy which should have charted much higher but had a good amount of airplay and sales, that Automatically Sunshine and Over and Over were the hit singles. Your Wonderful Sweet Sweet Love [[ I heard on an oldies station last week I was shocked) would have charted higher without Smokey sounding like Rudy Vallee! Here comes The Sunrise with a stronger mix YES hit 45!!!! I never thought Touch was a bad record Im shocked it didnt do better. Its Time to Break Down is not just a fan favorite people who have heard this song react to it like where did this come from? New ways had several potential hit songs on it The only hit I heard on Right On is Just take A Closer look At me other than Ladder.

"It's Time to Breakdown" was very adult sounding, ultra sexy. Too much maybe for 1970 radio! LOL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Andantes or no Andantes, you knew after Floy Joy that the Supremes were old and done; everything that could have gone wrong went wrong - releasing Touch and its failure, Pedro and the mismanagement, the infighting and changing members which caused Motown to go "hands off", and nothing really happening at all except getting boo'ed at Madison Square Garden and accepting bookings in South Africa which hurt them terribly.

Over and Over would have been better as a single to my ears than either Automatically Sunshine or You're Wonderful Wonderful Sweet Sweet Love. Both of the later songs are pretty choppy and a little bit stop and start.

Floy Joy the single kicked off pretty well but it is clearly a little bit teenybopperish now. The start is strong. But the album didn't do well because there isn't much else there; I was hoping Over and Over would come next. Now the Bitter, Now the Sweet shouldn't even have made the album; it's the weakest of the lot.
    I agree with some of your assertion of what went wrong with the Supremes from 72 on, but lets be clear "Now the Bitter and Now the Sweet" is a glorious track it is mellow has a nice groove and with a little editding could have worked as a nice single, Mary and Cindy are right up there with the one liners which had to the style of the song, the Andantes are singing behind them [[thankfully) and of course they ake the song prettier adding those glorious harmonies. "Over and Over" like NTBNTS also have Mary and Cindy on the mix and that should have been released as a single. "Floy Joy" was a single that sold and then stopped selling when it hit #16 that song was different and it gave the chance for the public to hear Mary sing lead and it went gold to boot, selling 500,000 to boot, i loved that song, and i wore out two copies of the 45.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Andantes or no Andantes, you knew after Floy Joy that the Supremes were old and done; everything that could have gone wrong went wrong - releasing Touch and its failure, Pedro and the mismanagement, the infighting and changing members which caused Motown to go "hands off", and nothing really happening at all except getting boo'ed at Madison Square Garden and accepting bookings in South Africa which hurt them terribly.

Over and Over would have been better as a single to my ears than either Automatically Sunshine or You're Wonderful Wonderful Sweet Sweet Love. Both of the later songs are pretty choppy and a little bit stop and start.

Floy Joy the single kicked off pretty well but it is clearly a little bit teenybopperish now. The start is strong. But the album didn't do well because there isn't much else there; I was hoping Over and Over would come next. Now the Bitter, Now the Sweet shouldn't even have made the album; it's the weakest of the lot.
    I agree with some of your assertion of what went wrong with the Supremes from 72 on, but lets be clear "Now the Bitter and Now the Sweet" is a glorious track it is mellow has a nice groove and with a little editding could have worked as a nice single, Mary and Cindy are right up there with the one liners which aad to the style of the song, the Andantes are singing behind them [[thankfully) and of course they make the song prettier adding those glorious harmonies. "Over and Over" like NTBNTS also have Mary and Cindy on the mix and that should have been released as a single. "Floy Joy" was a single that sold and then stopped selling when it hit #16 that song was different and it gave the chance for the public to hear Mary sing lead and it went gold to boot, selling 500,000 to boot, i loved that song, and i wore out two copies of the 45.

"Floy Joy [[Unedited Version)"

[[William "Smokey" Robinson)

[ALL]
    Floy, Floy, Floy
    Floy Joy

Floy, Floy, Floy
    Floy Joy

Floy, Floy, Floy
    Floy Joy

[MARY]
    You're the man
    I know I'll never own you, Floy
    But see me when you can

[JEAN]
    Ooh, ooh, I know I'm only one of a million girls
    Who would give their world for you
    Floy Joy

[ALL]
    Floy, Floy, Floy
    Floy Joy

[MARY]
    That's your name
    Your real name may be Smith or Jones
    But not your claim to fame

[JEAN]
    Oh, it's a joy, boy
    Any girl who knew you at all
    Would have to call you
    Floy Joy

[ALL]
    Floy, Floy, Floy
    Floy Joy

[JEAN]
    You don't leave a girl too much choice now, Floy
    Oh yeah

[ALL]
    Floy, Floy, Floy
    Floy Joy

[MARY]
    I get a thrill when I hear your voice now, Floy

[ALL]
    Floy, Floy, Floy
    Floy Joy
    How much joy do I get from you?

[JEAN]
    You give me so much pleasure
    It's impossible to measure---

[ALL]
    Whoo!
    Floy, Floy, Floy
    Floy Joy

[MARY]
    You're the man
    I hope in some way, form, or fashion
    I fit in your plan

[JEAN]
    Ahhhhhhhhh, take me
    I wanna give myself to you
    And live my whole life through, I do, Floy Joy

[ALL]
    Floy, Floy, Floy
    Floy Joy

[JEAN]
    Mm-mmmmm
    I want to give myself to you alone now Floy

[ALL]
    Floy, Floy, Floy
    Floy Joy

[JEAN]
    Yours to call your very own now, Floy

[ALL]
    Floy, Floy, Floy
    Floy Joy

[JEAN]
    'Cause I love you, yes I do, oh, Floy Joy

[ALL]
    Ohhhhh
    Floy, Floy, Floy
    Floy Joy

[JEAN]
    Let me hear you just one more time
    Say it again

[ALL]
    Floy, Floy, Floy
    Floy Joy

[JEAN]
    Let me hear you say it one more time
    Say it again

[ALL]
    Floy, Floy, Floy
    Floy Joy
    Wow thats amazing and real kind of youto break down the Jean and mary parts lol. Fondly, Roberta

personally, although it is water under the bridge now, if I buy a cd that reads THE SUPREMES, then that is what I am expecting, NOT the andantes, the blossoms or anyone else but.....just my opinion
    Totally agree. Selling "The Supremes" without disclosure of others singing behind is bait-and-switch. But what's more true is that it is water under the bridge. I still enjoy Love Child even after learning that its the Andantes. Same with all the other songs. Doesn't make me like them less or value Mary/Flo/Cindy any less. It's just history, that's all.

i agree ,just history now. it was 50 years ago .still love the supremes

Heck me and girls on the playgound used to sing Floy Joy together and me and the girls in the neighborhood sang Nathan Jones in the street kids loved the 70s Supremes. Oh this was in Washington DC in school and Maryland in the neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    Yes the moderator seems to be snowed by Marv, but Lowell is not. Appeal to the owner of this site for action.
    The owner of the site is legally responsible for all the content of their site.

I don't hold anyone responsible for someone else actions, if someone acts or speaks like an idiot then ,...hey they are, I have learned to skip over some comments rather than be drug into an argument that is unnecessary......I don't think anyone is snowed in by anyone. just my opinion
    we all are here for the music,why do some have to make it so difficult.

Well said David,and another thing, some people here think they know everything,just because I know some of the artist,don't mean I know everything,and I know some of them lol.Please stay positive

I don't hold anyone responsible for someone else actions, if someone acts or speaks like an idiot then ,...hey they are, I have learned to skip over some comments rather than be drug into an argument that is unnecessary......I don't think anyone is snowed in by anyone. just my opinion
    we all are here for the music,why do some have to make it so difficult.

You are right.

But on top of that, the owner of the site is also legally responsible for what he or she publishes.