[REMOVE ADS]

The Original Vandellas live 7/13

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfVp_Zjbb2I So glad they are out there doing it. I like this lead singer. Roz seems a bit stiff and especially in other perfomrance of Jimmy Mack. Still great harmonies.

Thanks for the posting Luke!

Mad props to both Roz and Annette they must be over 70 by now. Roz actually seems to be in some sort of pain. she just doesn't seem like her usual bubbly self. They still sound great though!
    Last edited by soulballad; 08-12-2013 at 05:59 PM.

Is that Roz or Ed Sullivan risen form the dead?

Roz has lost some weight.

Roz was in a bad car smash a couple of months ago which accounts for her stiffness.

I had to look at the calendar about three times to make sure it was 2013 and not 1963. I am truly amazed that these beautiful, beautiful ladies are still working away. Roz looks fantastic, even if stiff. Annette looks sprightly. This just reinforces my admiration for these ladies.

I enjoyed those performances very much. I wish I could see some of the classic Motown acts, would love to see the Original Vandellas, Temptations Revue with Dennis Edwards, etc. It's time for another Motortown Revue - 50 years plus since the original.

Very enjoyable video--and they sound great. Thanks very much for posting, Luke.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryon6 View Post
    I enjoyed those performances very much. I wish I could see some of the classic Motown acts, would love to see the Original Vandellas, Temptations Revue with Dennis Edwards, etc. It's time for another Motortown Revue - 50 years plus since the original.
    Back in the day there was nothing like the Original Vandellas, their sound was spicy, out there and fabulous, today they have not lost anything but age, and they still sound good. Who is the girl fronting the lead singing.

I believe it's Roschelle Laughhunn doing the honors and honoring the tunes with her great voice, along with Rosalind & Annette sounding just beautiful, as always.

Here's Rosalind & Annette in conversation with Tom Meros [[Thank you, Tom) from a few years back:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUIOqCDadqg

Quote Originally Posted by motown_david View Post
    Roz was in a bad car smash a couple of months ago which accounts for her stiffness.
    Well, somebody tell her to go see a chiropractor and soak in a hot tub with epsom salts. That helps, and magnesium supplements can help, too.

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    Well, somebody tell her to go see a chiropractor and soak in a hot tub with epsom salts. That helps, and magnesium supplements can help, too.
    Jill you are very smart!

My pleasure, Glad Roz is recovering. I imagine she is being treated-takes time though! Took me almost a year with treatment after bad car crash. I wonder why more Motown artists dont tour together? So many artists do that now to ensure more seats sold.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    My pleasure, Glad Roz is recovering. I imagine she is being treated-takes time though! Took me almost a year with treatment after bad car crash. I wonder why more Motown artists dont tour together? So many artists do that now to ensure more seats sold.
    Luke, sorry to hear of your accident. I think more Classic Motown Artists would tour together if there were promoters out there willing to pull it together.

RossHolloway Guest
    I wonder what Martha things about her former groupmates still performing?...

Ross - That question comes up in this interview from StrangeDaveShow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rR50htpXTH0

RossHolloway Guest
    @Methuselah2 - I listened to the interview, and aside from Martha saying that there was nothing that she could do about it, the interview did not shed much light on the issue. I assume that the Original Vandellas aren't with Martha because of finances - which is too bad.

Well, I thought Martha's response did, actually, shed light--being rather dismissive of it by saying there was nothing she could do about it sent a message as far as I could tell. When it was mentioned that The Vandellas had a website, Martha's response was to mention her own--with its address. But, overall, I thought Martha was being diplomatic by not getting into specifics about it. And she pointed out that The Vandellas were operating under the current law, and it was noteworthy that she made mention of that, as well. Martha seems very realistic and practical, and that's highly attractive about her.
    Last edited by Methuselah2; 08-13-2013 at 06:02 PM.

Please, oh please can we not take this thread the way of the Supremes, with half the site claiming the Andantes sang backup behind Martha on every single while the other half trashes Martha?

Thaxal - I think you might have just introduced the first instance of trashing, as well as thrashing, into the thread. Interesting that your concern about what others have to say is exactly what allows you to post what you want--and need--to say.
    Last edited by Methuselah2; 08-13-2013 at 09:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah2 View Post
    Thaxal - I think you might have just introduced the first instance of trashing, as well as thrashing, into the thread. Interesting that your concern about what others have to say is exactly what allows you to post what you want--and need--to say.
    There is absolutely no trashing in that post. I did not mention anyone by name. It was not a response to your post or I would have quoted it, like I am doing here. I simply implored us not to start a flame war around this topic. The trashing that goes on routinely in the Supremes posts is getting difficult to tolerate.

Fair enough, Thanxal. But there's no way to issue even a warning without it coming off as a premptive strike. And taking issue with someone by name or in general is still taking issue, and that's your prerogative to do just as what someone else chooses to say or bring up in a thread. There's simply no way to avoid it. It works to each poster's advantage and can work to each other's annoyance just as easily. I appreciate the clarity you provided in your last posting. Thank you.
    Last edited by Methuselah2; 08-13-2013 at 11:38 PM.

It's great that the Vandellas still perform as does Martha. The lead singers voice is much better than Martha's but she isn't Martha. So it's not the same. Martha is probably still paying the IRS what she can.

Did the Andantes replace the Vandellas too? Can someone give an example of a song?

Jobeterob - I don't know if The Andantes replaced The Vandellas but my understanding is that they were sometimes added to them, such as on the singles of JIMMY MACK and LOVE [[MAKES ME DO FOOLISH THINGS). But anything mentioned about background personnel continually seems to be up-for-grabs depending on the source, as I'm sure you well know. If The Andantes did actually replace The Vandellas, my guess--only a guess--would be that it might have occurred on their later recordings. But I have no concrete information to offer about it.

Thanks Marv.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Did the Andantes replace the Vandellas too? Can someone give an example of a song?
    I'm Ready For Love
    Love Makes Me Do Foolish Things
    Wild One [[with the Vandellas)
    You've Been In Love Too Long [[with the Vandellas)
    Jimmy Mack [[with the Vandellas)
    My Baby Loves Me
    I Promise to Wait My Love
    I Can't Dance To That Music You're Playing

It's been said that the Andantes are on "In My Lonely Room" but it sounds like Rosalind and Annette to me.

Pretty much after Rosalind left the Andantes took over the Vandellas' vocals on the songs. I think Sandra Tilley and Lois Reeves only recorded a handful of songs.

stopinthenameoflove Guest
    The UK twofer of 'Natural Resources/Black Magic has an interesting bonus track - an alternative version of 'People Got To Be Free', which I'm sure I read was with The Vandellas rather than The Andantes on backup.

So the Andantes were on everybody's songs.