[REMOVE ADS]

Curtis Mayfield - The Making Of You

What a shame that music like this will not be repeated in our lifetime...

That's why it's on digital discs to preserve it forever. But if you meant someone has gifted as Curtis Mayfield might not come along in the future and write something like The Makings Of You, you might be right. But we really can't say that either.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 08-05-2013 at 04:09 PM.

It damn sure won't happen in American popular music or R&B anytime in the next decade and
    a lot of us are getting long in the tooth. Those sensibilities are virtually non-existant in our
    culture today with all the bling bling jump off thugged out fakeality tv dependency doody
    plop mass produced today. I thank God I grew up when I did because though it wasn't always
    the best of times we had the best damn music, that's why people keep going back to it or
    trying to recreate it. And Curtis was a champion...

Lost skills, crafted from childhood, the church, and innate soul..... vocal and composition skills, married with gifted arrangers, creative musicians, but always underpinned with genuine, heartfelt, SOUL... in my opinion, definitely won't see it again in my lifetime, if I live for another hundred years. Some call it progress, I call it the loss of an artform....

contrast "I Forgot To Be our Lover" William Bell

And Jameim. [[who incidentally is closer to keeping the faith than many) Kind of a leaden hand...

I tend to agree based on what I hear in popular music today.But we don't know what changes will take place tomorrow in music or society or in the future because it's not promised to us. But I am optimistic.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 08-05-2013 at 06:02 PM.

No comment....

Nice....

Nice enough, although sounds overly bassed.....

Very nice...

And this is where I stepped off and stayed with, and in, the past.....

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEW-UK View Post
    What a shame that music like this will not be repeated in our lifetime...

One of the greatest recordings of the '70's. A Hall of Fame Classic if you ask me. It never gets old.......

Hey Marv. I so agree.... and this is sooo goooood..... you are on my wavelength..... the arrangements, the musicians, the sheer breadth and depth of skills..... breathtaking!!

The Makings Of You is one of my favourite Curtis songs and performances. Gladys's version is great, especially thanks to the production by Curtis. But to me, you can't beat his own version sung in his unique voice with that wonderful orchestration. Gentle, caressing, warm, enveloping, soothing, spiritual. Mesmerising.

Hey Marv. I so agree.... and this is sooo goooood..... you are on my wavelength..... the arrangements, the musicians, the sheer breadth and depth of skills..... breathtaking!!

Mike! That album, "Claudine" was played from one end of the Summer of 1974 to the other! My copy is a little warped and scratched now. We loved ever song on it. Curtis was the master producer. He did the same thing for Aretha and the Sparkle Soundtrack.

I'm so glad Gladys Knight has currently put "Make Yours A Happy Home" in her set. Check Youtube; she is killing it!!!

Yep nysister, Gladys looking and sounding fantastic!!!!

We should have the third great track from Claudine, don't you think?

And back to where we started.....

And back to where we started.....

MikeEW-UK, this one right here!!!!!..... tears me up everytime i hear it.
    thank you for posting this one.

Tracks like this ,genius like this will not happen again. It's something that happened in a time and place ,just as the classics of Verdi ,Motzart, Ellington and Strayhorn ,Miles and Coltrane. You just can't deny the fact that it's art ,not commercial caa-caa as we get today. There was nothing like it before and there is no use in trying to duplicate it. Classics are created from the sounds and techniques that came before it. Not from "samples". The arrangement,the metephors in the lyrics all that technical shit associated with writing music is lost today. Gladys tears this song up . Her voice is her instrument and it is flawless. Thats not the voice of someone who wants to be a star ,she owns it ,by right. Curtis wrote a perfect song. You cant deny the fact ,that you feel that shix , "These word's I try to recite ,almost impossible to do" , that's some deep shix there. The strings just ripyour heart out . It is what it is ,just that simple.

Quote Originally Posted by nysister View Post
    MikeEW-UK, this one right here!!!!!..... tears me up everytime i hear it.
    thank you for posting this one.
    "To Be Invisible" was a masterpiece in my opinon. I remember playing Glady's & the Pips version often back in the day. Great music.

"To Be Invisible" makes my wife cry every time she listens to Curtis's version.