[REMOVE ADS]

MARY WELLS - My World is Empty Without You

Here's an interesting take on this Motown/Supremes classic:

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  21.1 KB
    For whom did she record this? It doesn't sound like a Motown recording. it doesn't sound like 20th Century Fox or her Atlantic recordings. Was it an unreleased Atlantic, or Jubilee recording? Or is it actually a Motown recording?

I've said this before, I think she sounds horrible on this song. I like Mary. She sounds better on songs like "You beat me to the punch".

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 449
    For whom did she record this? It doesn't sound like a Motown recording. it doesn't sound like 20th Century Fox or her Atlantic recordings. Was it an unreleased Atlantic, or Jubilee recording? Or is it actually a Motown recording?
    Rob, maybe it was for Atco?

Yes, Atco Sessions....Dear Lover CD

Great, thanks Blueskies. I like it somewhat but I believe this song would have worked so much better for Mary had she sang it in a much lower key. She had a very sexy voice when she sang in a lower register [[You Beat Me to the Punch, etc.).

It works for me. Probably because I love Mary Wells so much...she could sing the phone book and it's OK with me!

No Mary was no longer with Motown when she recorded My World Is Empty,Without You,she was recordin' for Atco Records,i really like Mary singing My World,it was on her album,Two Sides Of Mary Wells,it's Mary at her BEST.Please stay positive

its not good cause it dont suit Marys voice imo.

Roberta

lower, mary, lower!

Everybody has they're opinion,it dosen't matter,there is no right or wrong,it's just a personal opinion,it not that SERIOUS LOL .Please stay positive

Quote Originally Posted by REDHOT View Post
    Everybody has they're opinion,it dosen't matter,there is no right or wrong,it's just a personal opinion,it not that SERIOUS LOL .Please stay positive
    Well said dear REDHOT. Everyone has a right to they opinions.

Have a beautiful Saturday and Stay Positive.

Fondly.

Roberta

Quote Originally Posted by REDHOT View Post
    No Mary was no longer with Motown when she recorded My World Is Empty,Without You,she was recordin' for Atco Records,i really like Mary singing My World,it was on her album,Two Sides Of Mary Wells,it's Mary at her BEST.Please stay positive
Views: 316
    Ha! ha! I HAVE that album. I just haven't played it for 35 years, or so!

supremester Guest
    I'm not a huge fan of Queen Mary, but I respect her and enjoy her style a lot. I always like to hear her unique take on a song I like, but it's rare that I ever play her. Every so often, I will listen to her Honey Boy and Whisper You Love Me Boy. So to me, her take on this is interesting and fresh, but I think it's too high for me to enjoy, and I'd probably not put it in rotation in a lower key.
    Last edited by supremester; 08-03-2013 at 03:04 PM.

I love this version but of course it's horses for courses and for me, Mary is right at the top of my list of favourite female recording stars. Just wonder who are on the bvs.

I love Mary Wells. This is a good version. I would have love to have had her record it with the Funk Brothers using the same backing vocalists.

Quote Originally Posted by motown_david View Post
    I love this version but of course it's horses for courses and for me, Mary is right at the top of my list of favourite female recording stars. Just wonder who are on the bvs.
    The background vocals may very well belong to the Andantes. If you listen to some of the other songs Mary recorded on the Atco label such as Dear Lover and Love Letters, you will definitely hear their voices.
    I wouldn't be surprised if some of the Funk Brothers were also involved.

Hey Mowest,they do sound like The Andantes,mmmmmmm lol,Please stay positive

I like it too. Very haunting lead by Mary--she brings a lot of emotion.

RossHolloway Guest
    I can only imagine the recording Ms Wells would have recorded if she had stayed with Motown thru out the '60s.

She had that something that allowed her to put across her own emotion in a song. Check out the ending verses or ad libs she did on this track.

And to think some singers thought they sang better than Mary Wells. HA! Some of them may have, but they lacked what she had and that was true soul and the ability to convey feelings and emotions people related to. Plus, she was naturally sultry, sexy and fine. If it's not the Andantes backing her on My World, then I'd guess it was Pat Lewis and her group which did sessions at MOTOWN too.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 08-04-2013 at 07:59 AM.

Loved it. Didn't need to be lower for me...Loved the background vocals too. Does sound like
    Pat Lewis' s group to me but not sure...