[REMOVE ADS]

Motown classics reyurning

Piggy backing on the Scherrie and Susaye Partners release. I found tha are more Motown classics coming OR RETURNING to the market in October and November. I'm not sure if these are pricey imports from Japan or Motown US. However, we have not seen a flood of RELEASES like this since remind the Motown TMG Midline campaign of the 1980s. A lot of the titles have been reissued over and over again especially those by the Supremes, Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, Marvelettes, Temptations and Martha and the Vandellas and many of the other titles have been issued by other companies including HIP O and are available as downloads. I guess these are aimed at the new and casual fans discovering Motown through the Musical. I did not type in everything, and have probably missed some titles but you can go to Dusty Groove's Coming Soon page or CDJapan and search for yourself.
    I'm sure SOME OF US there are lots of questions.

BLOODSTONE
    DON'T STOP

COMMODORES:
    IN THE POCKET
    MIDNIGHT MAGIC
    NATURAL HIGH
    NIGHTSHIFT

CONTOURS
    DO YOU LOVE ME

DEBARGE
    ALL THIS LOVE
    IN A SPECIAL WAY

DYNAMIC SUPERIORS
    DYNAMIC SUPERIORS

FOUR TOPS
    THE FOUR TOPS
    FOUR TOPS SECOND ALBUM
    REACH OUT

MARVIN GAYE
    THE SOULFUL MOODS OF...
    STUBBORN KINDA FELLOW
    RECORDED LIVE ON STAGE
    HOW SWEET IT IS
    I HEARD IT THROUGH THE GRAPEVINE/IN THE GROOVE
    UNITED
    YOU'RE ALL I NEED
    DIANA & MARVIN

YVONNE FAIR
    THE BITCH IS BLACK

FANTASTIC FOUR
    BEST OF

FINIS HENDERSON
    FINIS

MICHAEL JACKSON
    GOT TO BE THERE
    BEN
    MUSIC & ME

JERMAINE JACKSON
    JERMAINE
    LET'S GET SERIOUS

JACKSON5
    DIANA ROSS PRESENTS
    ABC
    THIRD ALBUM
    MAYBE TOMORROW

EDDIE HOLLAND
    EDDIE HOLLAND

THELMA HOUSTON
    ANY WAY YOU LIKE IT
    RIDE TO THE RAINBOW

ISLEY BROTHERS
    THIS OLD HEART OF MINE

CHUCK JACKSON
    ARRIVES
    GOIN' BACK TO JACKSON

RICK JAMES
    COLD BLOODED
    THROWIN DOWN

GLADYS KNIGHT AND THE PIPS
    EVERYBODY NEEDS LOVE
    IF I WERE YOUR WOMAN
    NEITHER ONE OF US
    STANDING OVATION

LOVESMITH
    LOVESMITH

ORIGINALS
    BABY I'M FOR REAL

OYDESSY

MARY JANE GIRLS
    MARY JANE GIRLS
    ONLY FOR YOU

MARTHA REEVES AND THE VANDELLAS
    HEAT WAVE
    DANCE PARTY

MARVELETTES
    PLEASE MR. POSTMAN
    PLAYBOY

AMOS MILBURN
    RETURN OF THE BLUES BOSS

MONITORS
    GREETINGS...

PLATINUM HOOK

RARE EARTH
    GET READY

SMOKEY ROBINSON & THE MIRACLES
    GOING TO A GO' GO
    MAKE IT HAPPEN
    WHERE THERE'S SMOKE
    A QUIET STORM
    BEING WITH YOU

DIANA ROSS
    AIN'T NO MOUNTAIN HIGH ENOUGH
    diana
    THE BOSS
    DIANA ROSS
    SURRENDER
    TOUCH ME IN THE MORNING

SPINNERS
    THE ORIGINAL
    2ND TIME AROUND

SWITCH
    SWITCH
    REACHING FOR TOMORROW

SYREETA
    SYREETA WRIGHT

SCHERRIE & SUSAYE
    PARTNERS

SUPREMES
    WHERE DID OUR LOVE GO
    A GO' GO
    LOVE CHILD
    SING HOLLAND DOZIER HOLLAND
    REFLECTIONS

TEMPTATIONS
    ...SING SMOKEY
    WITH A LOT O' SOUL
    REUNION
    TRULY FOR YOU
    SKY'S THE LIMIT
    ALL DIRECTIONS

JR. WALKER
    SHOTGUN

LEON WARE
    A MUSICAL MASSAGE

MARY WELLS
    ...SINGS MY GUY

STEVIE WONDER
    THE JAZZ SOUL OF...
    TRIBUTE TO UNCLE RAY
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 07-18-2013 at 04:15 PM.

If Motown Japan can get an album like Partners out on cdthen surely they can get other Motown titles like The Supremes Sing And PerformFunny Girl, G.I.T. On Broadway and other Motown titles that have never been oncd before…..I will be purchasing the Partners album for sure J

Some interesting titles there... some have been available before, some are still available now, but glad to see a few new ones. Unless I'm missing something, I don't see the issuing label or even the country of origin for these on Dusty Groove. Thelma Houston's "Any Way You Like It" does say "Japanese paper sleeve" [[that one is already available on amazon uk). But do we know that Scherrie & Susaye's "Partner" and the other titles there are coming from Japan?

This is the list from Japanese HMV site with the cover pics.

50 titles will be released on Oct 16

http://www.hmv.co.jp/fl/11/397/1/

another 50 will be released on Nov 20

http://www.hmv.co.jp/fl/11/397/2/

According to their site,
    7 titles are first time on CD ever, anywhere in the world, which is not true.

Original Spinners by Spinners
    Arrives by Chuck Jackson
    Greetings!...We're The Monitors by Monitors
    Do You Love Me by Contours [[This one was actually re-issued in U.S. before)
    Return Of The Blues Boss by Amos Milburn
    Goin' Back To Chuck Jackson by Chuck Jackson
    Partners Scherrie & Susaye

And the great news is that they will release these CDs with the low price of 1000yen, which is about $10. So most liky Dusty groove will sell them like $15-$16, it depends on the exchange rate of the time of releases.

>surely they can get other Motown titles like The Supremes Sing And Perform Funny Girl, G.I.T. On Broadway

I cannot say never, but I seriously doubt it.
    For this kind of re-issue project, they usually work with the Japanese writers who have deep knowledge of American music, and they are usually very purists, and typically they dismiss titles like them because they were the projects of attempting to make Diana an entertainer with an appeal to adult white middle class audience.
    On the other hand, "The Partners" got the re-issue because they recognized the quality of that album and thought it deserved to be re-issued even though it is very unknown tile out side of the Supremes fans.
    Unfortunately I do not think Japanese will ever consider re-issuing Mary's album. Because her album is just a mediocre disco album if you are not a Mary's fan or the Supremes enthusiast.

Some great releases there, but what about Four Tops "Now" which regularly gets overlooked. What will be released in December!

There's also a link for some Atlantic stuff: http://www.hmv.co.jp/fl/11/346/1/

Thanks for adding info to what I typed in. Great job blue, we will be well informed consumers. I'm always advocating that Motown fans be smart because collecting this brand can be expensive. If anyone seriously wants Funny Girl and GIT on CD, private message me. I know a good source. Not me, someone else. There are not many I need, maybe Ride to the Rainbow and Lovesmith.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 07-18-2013 at 03:00 PM.

I wish more of the Jr. Walker catalog, especially the '70s albums were made available. Shotgun continues to get released on CD. Now mind you I love Finis Henderson and Odyssey [[I have these on CD), if these can be released why not Leslie Gore, the last two Tata Vega, the remaining Willie Hutch, Leslie Uggams, later Rare Earth, and others.

I'd like some Jr Walker too... and the Stoney & Meatloaf album on CD

supremester Guest
    I never got that one - how is it? I liked the single enough to buy it, but it didn't get a lot of spins once I got it home.
    Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Some great releases there, but what about Four Tops "Now" which regularly gets overlooked. What will be released in December!

Can't anyone fix the title of this thread? Reyurning? Really?

You can see a list of the upcoming titles on HMV Japan's website. The link I'm copying is the releases for Universal Japan sorted by release date [[newest to oldest):

http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/search/advan...sort_datedesc/

Quote Originally Posted by pghmusiclover View Post

You can see a list of the upcoming titles on HMV Japan's website. The link I'm copying is the releases for Universal Japan sorted by release date [[newest to oldest):

Agree about the title. It should be "Reyearning".

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if Universal Japan manages to [[re)release 100 [[!) albums, most supposedly remastered and pressed in quantities ranging from 3,000-5,000) within about a month, why does Hip-O only manage a few a year? I know most are expanded editions, but I applaud Universal Japan for just getting the product out there, even if it's a bare-bones edition, before the market moves to digital releases only...

There are already several albums on iTunes etc that have no physical release, the expanded Sam Harris self-titled album is one example I would love to have on cd...
    Last edited by whitesoxx; 07-19-2013 at 05:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pghmusiclover View Post

I was typing fast. I had a lot of information to get in. We can edit posts but not headlines. Notice I slipped "returning" into the post so people would know I can spell. I just don't type well, especially on a mobile tablet.

All sounds awesome - seriously. But, that is Japan, I am America, an Amazon.com buyer, from gift cards, don't even possess or believe in credit cards or "pay pal" - any great deals among them for less than $20? For one, I still really want a "Finis" CD, gotta have my "Skip To My Lou" in my Motown / Boogie collection sooner or later, but $37 + S&H? That's like the price of 3-5 CDs, and I'm not sure if I'm that desperate yet on that much for just one.http://www.amazon.com/Finis-Henderso...inis+henderson
    Last edited by Ngroove; 07-20-2013 at 05:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ngroove View Post
    All sounds awesome - seriously. But, that is Japan, I am America, an Amazon.com buyer, from gift cards, don't even possess or believe in credit cards or "pay pal" - any great deals among them for less than $20? For one, I still really want a "Finis" CD, gotta have my "Skip To My Lou" in my Motown / Boogie collection sooner or later, but $37 + S&H? That's like the price of 3-5 CDs, and I'm not sure if I'm that desperate yet on that much for just one.http://www.amazon.com/Finis-Henderso...inis+henderson
    Someone said 1,000 yen is about $10.00 in American money. Ngroove, you gotta keep up with the times if you want this Motown music. You can get a pre-paid debit card from Walmart, Walgreens, Western Union, etc. put money on it and buy whatever you want to from Japan and Amazon.com. Pay Pal is also good because if you don't get your stuff, you get your money back.

I look for CDs with bonus tracks/*previously unissued. I just bought that Amos Milburn CD used at Amazon for less than $20. It was issued by Motown in '96 I believe. Still not hard to find, it includes the entire Lp with some unissued goodies, and I highly recommend it. Ditto on the Spinners Truly Yours CD from Kent last year. I already had The Original Spinners Lp on vinyl and only bought the CD for the unissued stuff which is fantastic!!

I'd love to see a Fantastic Four Anthology with prev unissued tracks.
    Last edited by sunshineonacloudyday; 07-20-2013 at 10:17 PM.

The Amos Milburn album has gone from being very expensive and collectible to easy to find and inexpensive. i bought a French, vinyl pressing before I knew it was going to be reissued on disc.

The Amos Milburn cd "The Motown Sessions 1962-1964" has some bonus tracks but doesn't seem to have the complete original LP, I think it's missing one song, "Money." [[I have this cd but not the original LP.)

Of the seven cds blue lists above, which HMV says are on CD for the very first time, note that the two Chuck Jackson LPs are both included in the "Anthology" cd, which you can get from Amazon UK for about £5. As mentioned above, "Original Spinners" is included in an Ace/Kent release. "Greetings... We're The Monitors" is also included in the Ace/Kent cd "Say You!" with bonus tracks.

"Money" on the Amos Milburn Lp is an instrumental version.
    Except for one shout, no vocals.

Quote Originally Posted by Ngroove View Post
    A little cheaper: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=UICY-75482

Why the two different covers for Finis Henderson? The track lists look the same. Was this his only LP?

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=UICY-75482

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=UICY-25340

Quote Originally Posted by calvin View Post
    Why the two different covers for Finis Henderson? The track lists look the same. Was this his only LP?

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=UICY-75482

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=UICY-25340
    Two covers on same album? I actually thought he made TWO albums! If that's his one, only album, I suppose the photo cover's $24 is slightly more digestible than $37, and if another re-release is comin' to start it lower again, maybe there's hope for me to add him in my collection after all! Thanks. I genuinely don't understand how this never made even a crack at ANY charts!
    Last edited by Ngroove; 07-21-2013 at 08:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    The Amos Milburn album has gone from being very expensive and collectible to easy to find and inexpensive. i bought a French, vinyl pressing before I knew it was going to be reissued on disc.
    So did I in fact I was playing it when I found this new thread.

I ordered 13 of the titles from HMV came out to about $13 each including shipping.

I think HMV's artwork is premature, as the My Guy cover used is a photo of the audiophile Lp Speakers Corner version with the Speakers Corner sticker attached.

Thanks for the heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by 762rob View Post
    So did I in fact I was playing it when I found this new thread.

I ordered 13 of the titles from HMV came out to about $13 each including shipping.

I think HMV's artwork is premature, as the My Guy cover used is a photo of the audiophile Lp Speakers Corner version with the Speakers Corner sticker attached.

Thanks for the heads up.
    I tried the HMV Japanese site the other day and couldn't complete registration because it was in Japanese and my computer only translated so much. This new line of Motown reissues have not been added to CD Japan, so the prices are still high for some Motown.

Smile

I tried the HMV Japanese site the other day and couldn't complete registration because it was in Japanese and my computer only translated so much. This new line of Motown reissues have not been added to CD Japan, so the prices are still high for some Motown.
    No problem with HMV on my end but I was using Apple MacBook Pro
    The whole thing came up automatically in English.

There was nothing on CD Japan yet.

I wonder if these Japan imports will be any different from others that included extra tracks? For example, a recent Japanese import of How Sweet It Is by Marvin GAYE had 15 tracks rather than 12. The three extra tracks were She's Got To Be Real, Can I Get A Witness and Crazy 'Bout My Baby, all recorded around the same time period.

Bump....sorry, have to do that, to keep this thread afloat on the upper portions of the first page......Currently, considering placing "Partners", "Finis", "Where Did Our Love Go", "How Sweet It Is To Be Loved By You", "Chuck Jackson Arrives", "Second Time Around", and "Sings My Guy" on my Amazon wishlist, more perhaps once I see the finalized price according to good deals once released still some months from now.

At the pre-order price of 1000 JPY [[about £6.70 at current exchange rates), I went ahead and pre-ordered several of these from HMV Japan. Including shipping, it came out to about £8.70 per title. At that price I'm willing to give some of the titles from the 70s and 80s that I don't know a try. I'll still have to pay 20% VAT on top of that when they arrive. UK buyers should be aware that there can also be customs duty on shipments from outside the EU that exceed £135 in value - I think this is 3.5% on cds, though my order is broken into two shipments [[Oct, Nov) and each will be under this threshold.

Kamasu, I guess you've figured this out by now, but you can select their website in English and register/order in English, you don't need any special software for this.
    Last edited by calvin; 08-10-2013 at 07:43 AM.

The prices for these Motown releases are attractive at HMVJapan. But will it charge my card before it has the discs ready to ship? Amazon.com doesn't charge until items have been shipped.

The prices for these Motown releases are attractive at HMVJapan. But will it charge my card before it has the discs ready to ship? Amazon.com doesn't charge until items have been shipped.
    This is my first order with HMV Japan. I just did an online check of my credit card activity and the purchase is not there - I think they charge it when it's ready to go. The purchase was in JPY, so the purchase price in GBP or USD will be based on the exchange rate at the time of charging, not the current rate. And of course the credit card companies take a couple percent profit on the FX exchange rate...

I think HMV tells you when you place a pre-order that, once placed, it can't be changed - if you want to add or delete items from the order, you have to cancel the entire order and do a new one. So it seems you can cancel up to some point before they ship.

Btw, on checking my credit card activity, I saw that Funkytowngrooves has already charged my card for the Gladys Knight & The Pips cds I pre-ordered.
    Last edited by calvin; 08-11-2013 at 05:24 AM.

http://www.universal-music.co.jp/int...?productPage=0

New additions to the series releasing 10/22

I was typing fast. I had a lot of information to get in. We can edit posts but not headlines. Notice I slipped "returning" into the post so people would know I can spell. I just don't type well, especially on a mobile tablet.
    Where have you been?