[REMOVE ADS]

"You Came, You Saw, You Conquered"--the Ronettes

Does anyone know the story behind this great song? I believe it was released in 1969, however is that when it was recorded or was it one of the many unreleased songs that were recorded in 1965? [[ex-Everything Under the Sun, Here I Sit, Keep On Dancing, etc.) The Ronettes were done in 1967 so if this song became a hit were they going to have Ronnie get back with Estelle and Nedra or two new girls?

It sounds to me like an old Phil-les master from 1965 or 1966.

Ronnie's book has the song listed as being recorded in February of 1969, with no involvement from Nedra and Estelle.

She recorded this in '69 at A&M studios in Hollywood. Phil had made a deal with the A&M label, which was Herb Albert and Jerry Moss. There were no Ronettes as a group at this time and the label read: The Ronettes featuring the voice of Veronica. I thought it was a good record and sounded like a parade coming down mainstreet heralding the return of Ronnie to recording.

There is another version by the Pearls which was a top 40 hit in Holland in 1972:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtSKKbywMWo

From what I have read in Phil's biography, after Ronnie and Phil's marriage, Phil became more reclusive and threatened by Ronnie's rising fame. As a result, he limited her recording and performing opportunities between 1968 and when Ronnie left him several years later. Obviously, this did not sit well with Ronnie, so to pacify her, he would basically "allow" her to record a few songs - this one being one of them, as well as "Try Some, Buy Some" with George Harrison, etc. - with no intention of actually promoting them. In terms of the recording's personnel, Ronnie is actually the only Ronette on the record [[as is the case with many recordings before).