[REMOVE ADS]

Motown On Soul Train>>Yvonne Fair - Walk Out The Door If You Wanna

Here's Yvonne and her funky, sassy self! The lady was incredible when you put her on a stage. Enjoy, folks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IIPaodEN98

been playing this at northern soul nights in the uk for a few years now .....great tune..

I remember seeing this when it originally aired. But I didn't know then that her husband Sammy Strain was amongst the backup singers.

honest man Guest
    OH MY OH MY.BRILLIANT.....what a powerhouse she was,i have watched 8 times love it,will get my TBIB CD and play today,great posts also Tina's Fool in love ,brilliant clips 2 of the best screamers ever. cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by staceys dad View Post
    been playing this at northern soul nights in the uk for a few years now .....great tune..
    I thought that U.K. Motown missed out on a potential hit by putting this on the "B" side of "Its Bad For Me to See You", which was the follow-up to her Top 10 U.K. hit "It Should Have Been Me".

Much as I love the symphonic sophistication of "Its Bad For Me To See You" I couldn't see that it was going to be a commercial success and it was at a time [[1976) when the whole "Northern-Stompers" thing was at a peak.

I think it is instructive that "It's Bad for Me To See You" doesn't appear to have been posted on You-Tube.

Some label scans of the U.K. release here ..

http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=350113

Roger

honest man Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    I thought that U.K. Motown missed out on a potential hit by putting this on the "B" side of "Its Bad For Me to See You", which was the follow-up to her Top 10 U.K. hit "It Should Have Been Me".

Much as I love the symphonic sophistication of "Its Bad For Me To See You" I couldn't see that it was going to be a commercial success and it was at a time [[1976) when the whole "Northern-Stompers" thing was at a peak.

I think it is instructive that "It's Bad for Me To See You" doesn't appear to have been posted on You-Tube.

Some label scans of the U.K. release here ..

http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=350113

Roger
    Hi Roger i reckon it was too Funky for us Brits in 76, we were dancing to likes of Candi Staton,young hearts,Tina Charles etc, for me to hear songs like Yvonne Fair ,Ohio players etc had to go to the more serious-specialized black music clubs in Liverpool, im sure it be the same Manchester and all other cities,though a brilliant song have not heard at Northern Doos, though sometimes hear The ZOO-Commordores excellent, a lot of these songs were overlooked by us in the UK, At the time, cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by honest man View Post
    Hi Roger i reckon it was too Funky for us Brits in 76, we were dancing to likes of Candi Staton,young hearts,Tina Charles etc, for me to hear songs like Yvonne Fair ,Ohio players etc had to go to the more serious-specialized black music clubs in Liverpool, im sure it be the same Manchester and all other cities,though a brilliant song have not heard at Northern Doos, though sometimes hear The ZOO-Commordores excellent, a lot of these songs were overlooked by us in the UK, At the time, cheers.
    I'm not so sure about that Honest Man. "Walk Out The Door" has a pretty straightforward "on the fours" rhythm, which was very popular with the "NS" people, and it came out in the wake of the massive success of "Right Back Where We Started From" by MAXINE NIGHTINGALE, which also had a very "on the fours" rhythm.

There were also a few other U.K. hits around at the time that had that type of "on the fours" rhythm, notably "I Love Music" by THE O'JAYS and "I'm So Crazy" by K.C. & THE SUNSHINE BAND.

Of course, the only way we would know one way or the other is to go back in time and get Yvonne's 45 flipped over.

Now that Ralph is back in Detroit perhaps he can build a time-machine for us ....

Roger

She got no love in Philly. Her music wasn't played there. Why didn't Motown do more with her?

Quote Originally Posted by nosey View Post
    She got no love in Philly. Her music wasn't played there. Why didn't Motown do more with her?
    Yes Nosey, she certainly didn't seem to get much promotion.

Even her big hit in Britain [["It Should Have Been Me" which got to #5 UK early in 1976) seemed to be a bit of a fluke, and only managed to make it to #85 on Billboard's Hot-100 with NO R&B listing.

Her version of "It Should Have Been Me" has been a perennial favourite here ever since 1976 and gained additional fame/exposure a few years back when it was included in a scene in the BBC sitcom "The Vicar Of Dibley", starring DAWN FRENCH.

The sit-com started after the Church-of-England started accepting women as priests. In the storyline the female vicar [[Dawn French) has been secretly admiring one of the local bachelors and then finds out that he is about to get married when she gets an invite to his wedding ..

I've found it on you-tube ..

Roger

I remember meeting Sammy Strain at a radio station back in the mid-90s and he was trying to holla but I wasn't biting as I did NOT want to get involved with an entertainer. At the time, I remember he told me in a sorta smugly manner that he had been married to Yvonne Fair. I wanted to say, who the heck was that! Now I know............... She was great, btw. He also told me they had owned at one time a restaurant, [[steakhouse) in Vegas.

Yvonne Fair stole her scenes as Dirty Yvonne in Lady Sings the Blues. Whenever she's on the screen you look at her. Yeah, she coulda been a contender. On the record, I like where she asks her man, where is he going. "Don't touch that doe' knob."
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 07-11-2013 at 08:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nosey View Post
    I remember meeting Sammy Strain at a radio station back in the mid-90s and he was trying to holla but I wasn't biting as I did NOT want to get involved with an entertainer. At the time, I remember he told me in a sorta smugly manner that he had been married to Yvonne Fair. I wanted to say, who the heck was that! Now I know............... She was great, btw. He also told me they had owned at one time a restaurant, [[steakhouse) in Vegas.
    What a great story Nosey ..

There is an extensive biography on Miss Fair in the booklet notes of the Reel-Music C.D. reissue of her "Bitch is Black" L.P. in which her relationship with SAMMY STRAIN is documented .. although it has them marrying in Las Vegas [[at the Sands Hotel) and having their hamburger joint [[called the Meat Rack) in Studio City, Los Angeles.

It seems that Sammy also appeared on Soul Train with Yvonne when she performed her version of "Funky Music Sho Nuff Turns Me On", lip-synching the parts that had been sung by MARVIN GAYE on the released version.

There is a picture in the booklet of YVONNE FAIR and SAMMY STRAIN with DON CORNELIUS as well.

This is her version "Funky Music" ..

The C.D. is getting a bit pricy nowadays ..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bitch-Is-Bla.../dp/B0019IVTMK

Or for those who really have money to burn ..

http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Bitch-Black-...usic-/71733841

Roger

honest man Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    What a great story Nosey ..

There is an extensive biography on Miss Fair in the booklet notes of the Reel-Music C.D. reissue of her "Bitch is Black" L.P. in which her relationship with SAMMY STRAIN is documented .. although it has them marrying in Las Vegas [[at the Sands Hotel) and having their hamburger joint [[called the Meat Rack) in Studio City, Los Angeles.

It seems that Sammy also appeared on Soul Train with Yvonne when she performed her version of "Funky Music Sho Nuff Turns Me On", lip-synching the parts that had been sung by MARVIN GAYE on the released version.

There is a picture in the booklet of YVONNE FAIR and SAMMY STRAIN with DON CORNELIUS as well.

This is her version "Funky Music" ..

The C.D. is getting a bit pricy nowadays ..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bitch-Is-Bla.../dp/B0019IVTMK

Or for those who really have money to burn ..

http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Bitch-Black-...usic-/71733841

Roger
    Would love to see the Soul Train clip.Any offers PLEASE................................