[REMOVE ADS]

Who really sang "Da Doo Ron Ron"? Darlene Love or La La Brooks?

Both ladies claim that the original hit recording features their lead vocal. Can anyone verify by listening?

No. It's too confusing but has been discussed here before. I think the Russis know the answer.

I think Darlene recorded it first, but Phil erased her vocal. Then LaLa did her vocals, and that is the version that was released. But Darlene has said she still hears some of her own vocals.

that is La La Brooks loud & strong!Maybe Phil had originally recorded it on Darlene but he evidently erased her voice.La La was flown out to calif. to record [[he was too cheap to fly the whole group)but he did record the other Crystals doing the backgrounds in New York.I can't understand Darlene keep insisting its her surly she has heard it on the radio over all these years & knows its La La.Yes Darlene did He's a Rebel & He's Sure The Boy I love and Phil issued them as Crystals' records. Darlene was well paid & treated royally by Phil.From her own admission he paid her rent for a full year in the 80's when she was down on her luck.The Crystals only got one $5,000. check out of him and that was for all 5 Crystals!

the real Crystals' hits...."Theres' No Other"#20, "Uptown"#13[[Barbara Alston-lead), "Da Doo Ron Ron"#3 & "Then He Kissed Me"#6[[La La Brooks-lead).

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I think Darlene recorded it first, but Phil erased her vocal. Then LaLa did her vocals, and that is the version that was released. But Darlene has said she still hears some of her own vocals.
    I go for this too....

it's La La loud and clear.

It was La La Brooks that sang, "Da Do Ron, Ron....".

How can anyone who knows what each of them [[Darlene and La La) sound like NOT know that it is La La. Darlene has a GREAT resume with all the people she has worked with including Elvis, Frank Sinatra, Tom Jones. Why does she have to steal La La's credit???

I dont remember reading in her book that Phil paid her rent-? She went through hell to win her lawsuit against him.

She did NOT include it in her book. She did, however, say it in a People magazine interview years before she wrote her book. He paid the rent for a year and it was a beautiful apt. bldg. in Hollywood. She wasn't fair to him in her book by leaving this story out of it. She painted a pic of a monster named Phil Spector, which he may very well be considering where he sits now, however, he did not have to help her and he did. He also paid her about $1500 [[and that's 1962 dollars!!!) to do the session that produced He's A Rebel.

La La Brooks sang lead on the released version. I'm guessing that Phil Specter had first recorded Darlene Love on the demo [[otherwise, Darlene's quote makes no sense).

Thanks everybody. I also figured it was La La, but wondered if it was also possible that it was Darlene's voice, recorded/played back at a slightly faster speed, to make her sound like La La...

There's no question to my ear [[and from working with nearly all the Crystals and Darlene over the years) that the released version is La La.

That being said, In a new transfer of the mono mix made for one of my cd set's, when highly processed through radio airchain filters - - I am in fact wondering if Darlene might be there in the background harmony parts. on the released hit version. I know La La doubled herself on the hit version - maybe some of the background track still had some of Darlene's vocals buried in the wall of vocal harmonies, particulary the phrasing of "Da Doo Ron Ron" the Crystals did, vs what sounds like a "Da Doo Run Run" lower voice in each repeat section of the hook that perhaps the Blossoms may have done?

I certainly love Darlene and give her 1000% credit, but the hit version is very clearly LaLa. Maybe it's possible some of Darlene is still buried in there on the mono release version - the Blossoms voices were so distinctive, I'm now thinking it may be possible Darlene's voice is buried in there on the "Da Doo Run Run" phrasing parts before the drums.

I don't hear her parts on the background multi's I've heard from the song, which makes me wonder if it's left over from some part of the mono mix wall?

Maybe....

There's no question to my ear [[and from working with nearly all the Crystals and Darlene over the years) that the released version is La La.

That being said, In a new transfer of the mono mix made for one of my cd set's, when highly processed through radio airchain filters - - I am in fact wondering if Darlene might be there in the background harmony parts, on the released hit version?

I know La La doubled herself on the hit version - maybe some of the background track still had some of Darlene's vocals buried in the wall of vocal harmonies, particulary the phrasing of "Da Doo Ron Ron" the Crystals did, vs what sounds like a "Da Doo Run Run" lower voice in each repeat section of the hook that perhaps the Blossoms may have done?

I certainly love Darlene and give her 1000% credit for her great work "Good Good Luvin" being my favorite, but I equally love La La and her voice. The hit version is very clearly LaLa.

Maybe it's possible some of Darlene is still buried in there on the mono release version - the Blossoms voices were so distinctive, I'm now thinking it may be possible Darlene's voice is buried in there on the "Da Doo Run Run" phrasing parts before the drums.

I don't hear her parts on the background multi's I've heard from the song, which makes me wonder if it's left over from some part of the mono mix wall?

Maybe....