[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Robin Thicke - Blurred lines ft Pharrell, is Marvin got writers credit ??

Loving the Summer hit Blurred Lines by Robin Thicke and Pharrell but is it sampled or is it just very similar to Marvin Gaye's Got to Give it Up, I haven't bought the track so I wondered if Marvin has writers credit on it?

They damned near stole the melody and rhythm track from Marvin's "Got to Give It Up! LOL! I wish these "talented" newer artists would come up with some great, totally original material. I've always disliked sampling or coping popular songs from the past.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    They damned near stole the melody and rhythm track from Marvin's "Got to Give It Up! LOL! I wish these "talented" newer artists would come up with some great, totally original material. I've always disliked sampling or coping popular songs from the past.
    But, you have to admit that the song is really good. It transcends most of what else is out there right now. It has that late "70s" aesthetic. About the only other song right now that is like it is "Get Lucky" by Daft Punk or even "Suit & Tie" by Justin Timberlake.

Who cares it it's borrowed, stolen, or whatever, it's a good song. I say buy it! We have to support real music!

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Who cares it it's borrowed, stolen, or whatever, it's a good song. I say buy it! We have to support real music!
    What's the old phrase? Bad artists plagiarize, good artists steal? And it's been that way for thousands of years. [[I have to say, I think it's a bit odd to find that sort of "Why don't people do something ORIGINAL?" attitude on a Motown forum of all places.)

Anyway, according to the Wikipedia page for the song "Blurred Lines," Marvin is not listed as receiving a writing credit, but Thicke and Pharrell have made no secret of the fact that they were jamming on "Got To Give It Up" when they began working on the song. I haven't yet heard this song myself, but why not think of it as an homage and be glad that it might turn on some younger folks to Marvin Gaye who otherwise might never have heard of him?

Quote Originally Posted by Jyqm View Post
    What's the old phrase? Bad artists plagiarize, good artists steal? And it's been that way for thousands of years. [[I have to say, I think it's a bit odd to find that sort of "Why don't people do something ORIGINAL?" attitude on a Motown forum of all places.)

Anyway, according to the Wikipedia page for the song "Blurred Lines," Marvin is not listed as receiving a writing credit, but Thicke and Pharrell have made no secret of the fact that they were jamming on "Got To Give It Up" when they began working on the song. I haven't yet heard this song myself, but why not think of it as an homage and be glad that it might turn on some younger folks to Marvin Gaye who otherwise might never have heard of him?
    People place too much on whether something is derivative. Guess what? ALL music is derivative.

About everyone familiar with classic R&B who hears this song would know that this song samples "Got to Give It Up" by DEFAULT! Marvin III needs to go HAM on Thicke.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    About everyone familiar with classic R&B who hears this song would know that this song samples "Got to Give It Up" by DEFAULT! Marvin III needs to go HAM on Thicke.
    I like both Robin Thicke and Pharrell ,but I wish they would come up with something fresh and original.

Wow...very obvious references but didn't hear any actual samples.

I have to admit I bought a Robin Thicke album for the high price of $1 at a CD bin sale. Every single song I was thinking "This guy has sure listened to a lot of Marvin Gaye albums." Each track was sung in a breathy falsetto and the songs, to me at least, all blended together as one very long [[and not very good) song. The album was "Evolution of Robin Thicke" which I actually think is considered one of his best [[!).

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Wow...very obvious references but didn't hear any actual samples.

I have to admit I bought a Robin Thicke album for the high price of $1 at a CD bin sale. Every single song I was thinking "This guy has sure listened to a lot of Marvin Gaye albums." Each track was sung in a breathy falsetto and the songs, to me at least, all blended together as one very long [[and not very good) song. The album was "Evolution of Robin Thicke" which I actually think is considered one of his best [[!).
    Thicke ain't the only one swagging jacking Marvin. Remy Shand, Mayer Hawthorne, D'Angelo [[lol), Maxwell, etc.

They all got their cool from MG...

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Thicke ain't the only one swagging jacking Marvin. Remy Shand, Mayer Hawthorne, D'Angelo [[lol), Maxwell, etc.

They all got their cool from MG...
    It is interesting [[to me) that both Robin Thicke and Remy Shand are Canadians!

I had to go to youtube to hear the song....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyDUC1LUXSU

whatever hikes your bike.....