[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    No, funkyfresh, she was not totally honest. This is not about her use of the "n" word. This is about her refusal or inability to recognize the harm of her words. What's worse, she persists in blaming others for her problems. Did you even read the link to the article I posted above yours? The author is deaf-on in her assessment of Deen and her gaffs.

Making excuses that she's a 66-year-old woman from the south doesn't wash. She must be made accountable for her words. That is why all of her corporate partners are bolting.

She made a mistake? She's made many of them, and one was to go on the Today Show and blame everyone else, not apologize, not own up to her beliefs, and, on top of that, she was defiant and made more insulting racial references [["I is what I is, and I ain't changing!"). She doesn't do herself any favors by sounding more ignorant than she already is.

I agree with you in part on your final point, that, we, as Black people need to stop using that word too. By the continued use of that word by blacks, no matter what justification there mat be for it, gives whites, Latinos, and everyone else an excuse. For the record, I never use the word. I did not grow up with it in my home, and I scold family and anyone else I hear use it.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    No, funkyfresh, she was not totally honest. This is not about her use of the "n" word. This is about her refusal or inability to recognize the harm of her words. What's worse, she persists in blaming others for her problems. Did you even read the link to the article I posted above yours? The author is deaf-on in her assessment of Deen and her gaffs.

Making excuses that she's a 66-year-old woman from the south doesn't wash. She must be made accountable for her words. That is why all of her corporate partners are bolting.

She made a mistake? She's made many of them, and one was to go on the Today Show and blame everyone else, not apologize, not own up to her beliefs, and, on top of that, she was defiant and made more insulting racial references [["I is what I is, and I ain't changing!"). She doesn't do herself any favors by sounding more ignorant than she already is.

I agree with you in part on your final point, that, we, as Black people need to stop using that word too. By the continued use of that word by blacks, no matter what justification there mat be for it, gives whites, Latinos, and everyone else an excuse. For the record, I never use the word. I did not grow up with it in my home, and I scold family and anyone else I hear use it.
    Everybody need to stop using the N word imo and I mean everybody.

Roberta

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Everybody need to stop using the N word imo and I mean everybody.

Roberta
    Correct!

But, here's the problem: most of the media, and white people who defend her, want you to think it's all about that one word. If that were all it was, there'd be no issue.

What is disturbing is how many people are supporting her, even enough to make her book #1, where if this hadn't happened, it wouldn't have had a chance. It tells me that there are a LOT of like-minded people out there who probably [[and some, ignorantly) agree with her views on race. And I know there are some people out there who wish we could go back to enslaving Black people.

The "n"-word is beside the point. The real issue is Paula Deen's attitude before and after this news hit. A person doesn't have to be a racist to have racist views. But, does a racist have racist views? Of course!

"Accidental racist" describes her to a tee! The problem with these accidental racists is that they don't want to change, and Ms. Deen has stated that she isn't going to. That is why she lost more business. And, the people boycotting Walmart, Target, Home Depo, Sears, The Food network, and the others, isn't helping her case.

Let me ask you something, funky: do you excuse Jesse Jackson for his "hymie-town" remark like you think we should excuse Paula Deen for her remark? Or, are you one of those people who will forever throw that up whenever he is mentioned in a favorable light?