[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Moms Mabley

Moms Mabley

Moms Mabley was a pioneering, black comedienne who played the Vaudeville circuit, the Chitlin' Circuit, appeared at the Apollo Theater and made it out of the realm of black audiences to network television and films. She recorded numerous comedy records and even had a hit record on which she sang. Moms is the subject of a documentary film made by Whoopi Goldberg that will air on HBO this year. Moms was racy, ahead of her time with a comedy repetoire that included jokes about sex, politics and life in general. She does nothave lots of CDs of her comedy material, which is strange because she was beloved by blacks.

Hi Kam,

I LOVED her. Whenever she appeared on The Merv Griffin Show, I watched and laughed my behind off. I'm so glad Merv had the foresight to expose her to all audiences. Hooray for Whoppi for honoring Moms and reminding us how great Moms was.

~~Mary~~

Moms was something else.I hope this documentary makes it to dvd, though I already know Mom's history I'm sure there'll be something I can learn. There are quite a few video and audio clips of her work on youtube...Thanks to Whoopi for doing this...

So glad there will be a docu on Moms. YAAAY! Whoopi. More of these should be done on the great unsung artists in show biz from yesteryear comics, singers, & dancers.
    I saw her a couple times at the Apollo. Good old, old school comedy. I also saw other comediens from back in the day such as Pig Meat Markem, Peg Leg Bates, & Sad Sam come to mind.

S.S.
    Last edited by Soul Sister; 06-16-2013 at 11:04 AM.

I couldn't find part #1 of this series but will post #2 and #3.

I remember watching her on television when I was a little boy. I'm glad that the documentary is being shown because when I mention her to some of my peers, they have no idea who she is.

A while back, Clarice Taylor put together a nice show about Moms that I was able to see while in NYC.

Moms was a hoot! So I will most definitely watch this when it airs. On a related note, how about Lawanda Page, who played Aunt Esther on Sanford and Son? You talk about someone who was FIL-THEEEEEEE on record????? Oh my!!!!

Lawanda Pages cracks me up on Sanford & Son. Her delivery was so deadpanned and dry and she would go toe to toe with Fred, that ol' fish-eyed, beady headed fool. I love the hell raisers. But Moms Mabley basically worked cleaned. She was ol' school sly, but not dirty.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 06-17-2013 at 11:22 AM.

LaWanda Page's albums are so raw that they make some of Redd Foxx's sound like a choirboy. I have them all, but the first one that I bought was a compilation, WATCH IS SUCKER! Filthy isn't even the word, but I love it!

Moms.

"Abraham, Martin, and John."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mobZZRcrCHA

My favorite. Moms and Kris Kristofferson presenting a Grammy Award in 1974.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7qE4FUvQD4

Moms Mabley was without a doubt, "the funniest woman in the world." She was ahead of her counterparts of that era, including Phyllis Diller, Tottie Fields and others. Her timing was incredible and her delivery of punch lines were second to none. I was happy to see that she was beginning to get her just due just before her passing.
    Jackie "Moms" Mabley. One to be remembered.

Moms Mabley was a big favorite of my Mom and Dad. I thought she was very funny too.

If I remember correctly....

"Why do we lie to our children? We tell 'em Don't cross the street. Watch the lights, watch the lights. Damn the lights! Watch the cars the lights never hot nobody! Jack and Jill didn't go up no hill after no water! Everybody knows water don't run uphill. Mary didn't have no little lamb. She had a little sheep, sheep turned out to be a ram. NOW, Mary had a little lamb!"

For some reason that just sticks in my head. She was a hilarious woman who deserves to be remembered.