[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mary Wells mistake

Although I have never been a big fan of hers, I recently read the Mary Wells biography, it really got me thinking about the major mistake in judgement she made at 21 to leave Motown. Mary was the first female duo with Marvin Gaye and I would have imagine had she stayed with Motown it would have been her on all of the duo's with Marvin vs Tammy , Kim and Diana, I have got to belive there would have been quite a few additonal hits that Smokey and HDH would have penned for her.
    I would also imagine that she would have been one of the true icons of music and would have long ago been in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. What a bad way to go out.
    Your thoughts

Mary Wells was the first defection and perhaps the one that turned out the worst for the artist. But the Temptations and Four Tops didn't do so well either, especially the Temptations. None of the other Supremes other than Diana Ross had a hit after leaving Motown. The Jacksons never did as well.

Perhaps only Michael Jackson and maybe Gladys Knight did better after Motown rather than with it.

thomas96 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Mary Wells was the first defection and perhaps the one that turned out the worst for the artist. But the Temptations and Four Tops didn't do so well either, especially the Temptations. None of the other Supremes other than Diana Ross had a hit after leaving Motown. The Jacksons never did as well.

Perhaps only Michael Jackson and maybe Gladys Knight did better after Motown rather than with it.
    I agree with most of what you wrote, but I'd say that the Four Tops and Jacksons did pretty well after Motown. The Jacksons in the late 70's and their tours in the 80's were hugely successful, and while that may have to do with Michael's career being intertwined, it's still success. As for the Tops, I'd say that they did better in the few years with ABC-Dunhill than they did in their last year or so at Motown after HDH was gone.

Quote Originally Posted by thomas96 View Post
    I agree with most of what you wrote, but I'd say that the Four Tops and Jacksons did pretty well after Motown. The Jacksons in the late 70's and their tours in the 80's were hugely successful, and while that may have to do with Michael's career being intertwined, it's still success. As for the Tops, I'd say that they did better in the few years with ABC-Dunhill than they did in their last year or so at Motown after HDH was gone.
    I agree. The Tops and Jacksons squeezed out a few more hits. But the Jacksons never topped the 4 #1's in a row that started with I Want You Back. Their concerts from the 80's may have been the most lucrative time for them though. And the Tops, especially with Ain't No Woman, had some sizeable hits but they never reached the peak of Reach Out, Bernadette, Standing in the Shadows of Love, and I Can't Help Myself. But they definitely needed to leave to kickstart their career and keep it alive by moving.

And Diana may have hit a concert peak as well after leaving Motown and she had some hits, but it didn't reach the level of the 18 Number 1's on Motown.

Other than "Dear Lover", which was a fair-sized hit on Atco, the post-Motown career of Mary Wells was rather disappointing. Kim Weston suffered a similar fate after she left Motown. On the other hand, both Gladys Knight and the Pips and the Isley Brothers had their greatest success after leaving Motown. Of course, both of those acts had had hit records before they signed with Motown.
    Last edited by Nothing But Soul; 06-07-2013 at 08:24 PM.

I wouldn't say the Four Tops didn't do well. They still had top ten hits going into 1988. And they were still really big overseas.

The Jacksons did okay but not on the level of MJ.

I think the biggest post-Motown successes came from [[in order by success rate):
    MJ
    Diana Ross
    Gladys Knight and the Pips
    Marvin Gaye
    The Jacksons
    The Four Tops

---
    And that's mainly off the ones strongly associated with Motown. Not short-lived artists like the Isleys.

Going back on Mary though, I think even she felt leaving Motown was a mistake. I think she admitted it was years later.

thomas96 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Going back on Mary though, I think even she felt leaving Motown was a mistake. I think she admitted it was years later.
    I feel like she was just very stubborn on the matter and when BG wouldn't give her what she wanted her emotions got the best of her and she left. If the rumor that he offered her half the company is true and she turned it down, then I have no clue what was going on in her head!

I think you're all forgetting The Spinners who left Motown and became perhaps the hottest male singing group of the 70's with producer Thom Bell in Philly...

I feel like she was just very stubborn on the matter and when BG wouldn't give her what she wanted her emotions got the best of her and she left. If the rumor that he offered her half the company is true and she turned it down, then I have no clue what was going on in her head!
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 1091
Size:  21.1 KB
    No way Berry Gordy offered Mary Wells HALF his company! Whatever his last offer was, she should have taken it, and stayed with Motown for at least 3 more years, until she would have had a much bigger national Pop following. It certainly was a bad mistake.

thomas96 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by StuBass1 View Post
    I think you're all forgetting The Spinners who left Motown and became perhaps the hottest male singing group of the 70's with producer Thom Bell in Philly...
    True, but they didn't start with Motown did they? I thought they were more like the Isleys and Gladys Knight, with success before Motown.

True, but they didn't start with Motown did they? I thought they were more like the Isleys and Gladys Knight, with success before Motown.
Views: 1087
    Well, they were only with Berry's sisters Gwen's and Anna's and Harvey Fuqua's Tri-Phi Records, who recorded at Hittsville, and were essentially in "The Motown Family" all their career before Atlantic. I would say that they had a situation more like Mary Wells, Brenda Holloway, Kim Weston, than like Gladys Knight and The Pips or The Isley Brothers.

The Spinners had only one hit before going to Motown. "That's What Girls Are Made For," on Tri-Phi, reached #27 on Billboard's pop chart and #5 on its r&b chart.

True, but they didn't start with Motown did they? I thought they were more like the Isleys and Gladys Knigh. Years at Motown, with success before Motown.
    Like many of the Motown artists, they recorded at some mom & pop record companies before Motown, but they spent the better part of 10 years at Motown, often singing background for other Motown artists, and even being assigned to chores like chauffering around some of Motown's bigger stars...sort of like valets, with just a few fairly insignificant recordings until It's A Shame written by Stevie Wonder who was trying to prove to Berry Gordy Jr that he had promise as a songwriter. No significant follow-up from IAS, and on to Philly they went with Philippe Wynn joining the group and adding a new vocal dimension.

thomas96 Guest
    Alright, I don't know much about the Spinners pre-Philly so I guess you're right.

Well .. at the risk of sounding like some picky, know-it-all pedant I would like to point out that the first "defector" from Motown was most likely MABLE JOHN ..

Here is her discography ..

http://www.soulfulkindamusic.net/mjohn.htm

And her only proper "hit" [["Your Good Thing Is About to End" which went Top 10 R&B in 1966) was recorded for Stax AFTER she left Motown.

Roger

O.K. I admit it .. I'm a picky, know-it-all pedant ...

Or was it actually Marv Johnson? Probably not so much of a defection as a deflection!

Roger,

when your posts link to such a magnificent record as Mable John's "Your Good Thing", you're welcome to be as much of a picky, know-it-all pedant as you want. More picky, know-it-all pedantry, that's what I say.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Or was it actually Marv Johnson? Probably not so much of a defection as a deflection!
    Now that's funny, clever and true!

Let's get back to the subject Mary Wells

I would like to have the gang look at an alternative universe where Mary had stayed , give me your thoughts on how iconic she would have been.
    I belive she would rank right up there with Aretha and perhaps been in the first RRHOF class. I am thinking big time. I believe she would have had at least 25 top 20 hits and perhaps still be alive had she not got tangled up with drugs after she left Motown.

Quote Originally Posted by tmd View Post
    I would like to have the gang look at an alternative universe where Mary had stayed , give me your thoughts on how iconic she would have been.
    I belive she would rank right up there with Aretha and perhaps been in the first RRHOF class. I am thinking big time. I believe she would have had at least 25 top 20 hits and perhaps still be alive had she not got tangled up with drugs after she left Motown.
    Maybe one of the Russi brothers will chip in with their ideas on this thread.

Personally, I think that if Mary hadn't left Motown mid 1964 she would have had sizable hits with "When I'm Gone" and "Whisper You Love Me Boy" over the rest of the year and would have carried on recording duets with MARVIN GAYE, possibly ending up doing "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" with him instead of Miss Terrell.

She might also have done the hit version of this ...

After that it is anyone's guess .. she wouldn't have done "Use Your Head" or "Dear Lover" of course, both of which should have been bigger hits IMHO and if she hadn't got tangled up with the Womacks we wouldn't have had gems like "The Doctor", so I wonder who would have done those instead?

AND .. Of course, back at Motown, it would have meant that BRENDA HOLLOWAY wouldn't have had a hit with "When I'm Gone" and KIM WESTON would have probably have had to find someone else to sing "It Takes Two" with [[STEVIE WONDER perhaps?).

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    Maybe one of the Russi brothers will chip in with their ideas on this thread.

Personally, I think that if Mary hadn't left Motown mid 1964 she would have had sizable hits with "When I'm Gone" and "Whisper You Love Me Boy" over the rest of the year and would have carried on recording duets with MARVIN GAYE, possibly ending up doing "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" with him instead of Miss Terrell.

She might also have done the hit version of this ...

After that it is anyone's guess .. she wouldn't have done "Use Your Head" or "Dear Lover" of course, both of which should have been bigger hits IMHO and if she hadn't got tangled up with the Womacks we wouldn't have had gems like "The Doctor", so I wonder who would have done those instead?

AND .. Of course, back at Motown, it would have meant that BRENDA HOLLOWAY wouldn't have had a hit with "When I'm Gone" and KIM WESTON would have probably have had to find someone else to sing "It Takes Two" with [[STEVIE WONDER perhaps?).

Roger
    I doubt Mickey Stevenson would have let anyone but his wife, Kim Weston sing his song [[It Takes Two) as I'm sure he was dedicated to building her career.

I doubt Mickey Stevenson would have let anyone but his wife, Kim Weston sing his song [[It Takes Two) as I'm sure he was dedicated to building her career.
    But Stu .. he did let someone else record it as a duet with her ... MARVIN GAYE ..

In my parallel universe Mr Gaye is busy duetting with Miss Wells instead so Mr Stevenson has to find someone else to partner his wife ...

Roger

Yes Roger...the point is the song was it takes TWO...Not It Takes ONE

But Stu .. he did let someone else record it as a duet with her ... MARVIN GAYE ..

In my parallel universe Mr Gaye is busy duetting with Miss Wells instead so Mr Stevenson has to find someone else to partner his wife ...

Roger
Views: 989
    I doubt that Mickey would have been able to record Kim with another male Motown singer as a duet had Mary and Marvin been continuing their success at that time. He'd have written it for them, and probably not-at-all considered Kim in a duet.

She was 21!! If someone offers u 500,000, movie roles...any 21 year old would probably take it. Some music writers feel her post Motown stuff more creative and she grew more writing, producing...Its not just all about hits and money. She supported herself almost til her death. Diana Ross' career post Motown--similar per sales.

I read the book, and yesterday I saw her in a Motortown Revue clip. Had she stayed, the Supremes would not have gotten the big push to fill the Miss Wells departure. She would have gotten bigger, I don't think for the times she would have crossed over in 64 -67 as the Supremes did, but she would have become Aretha before Aretha arrived. The problem would have been her handlers wanting more, and possibly, deservingly so, but not getting it. So she still would have been approached by the bigger companies and she would have left eventually. I will say, listening to her Lost and Found, what really suprised me were the standards, but that was the Mary who sang what she was told, and did a great job with the material. As she got bigger, I doubt that she would have been keen to do songs she did not want to do.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    She was 21!! If someone offers u 500,000, movie roles...any 21 year old would probably take it. Some music writers feel her post Motown stuff more creative and she grew more writing, producing...Its not just all about hits and money. She supported herself almost til her death. Diana Ross' career post Motown--similar per sales.
    I as a fellow, I did not feel I reached full maturity until I was 30, and I was a pretty mature fellow. And to me that sums it all up. Had she signed at Motown at 21 had the 4 year run of hits, she could have looked at all the factors before deciding to leave. I remember a writer saying she had to feed "the hungry arms", which factored into her deciding to leave for greener pastures. A tragic tale, though on a smaller scale, unfortunately, played out thousands of times by singers who were better or worse, that made a bad decision.

Well .. at the risk of sounding like some picky, know-it-all pedant I would like to point out that the first "defector" from Motown was most likely MABLE JOHN ..
    Roger
Views: 950
    I wouldn't term Mable John as a "defector". I doubt that Motown offered her another contract, when her first contract lapsed in late 1963. Motown had already moved away from Bluesy style R&B, and didn't really have a place for Mabel. I don't remember hearing that she turned down an offer to re-up.

Secondly, unlike Mary, she had experienced NO hits with Motown.

Thirdly, other artists left before Mable, [[some even offered a contract), and, at least one [[Barrett Strong) had had a hit with Motown. Strong left in 1962 [[a full year before Mable), for ATCO Records. Chico Leverett '61 -Bethlehem Records [['63), [[Henry Lumpkin[['61-Fairmount Records [['62), The Satintones '61-Morphed to Pyramids SonBert Records [['62), Popcorn Wylie-'62-Epic Records, Herman Griffin '62-Correc-Tone/Double-L [['63), Freddie Gorman-1963-Ric Tic Records[['64).

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 950
    I wouldn't term Mable John as a "defector". I doubt that Motown offered her another contract, when her first contract lapsed in late 1963. Motown had already moved away from Bluesy style R&B, and didn't really have a place for Mabel. I don't remember hearing that she turned down an offer to re-up.
    Actually Robb in the booklet notes for this C.D. there is an interview with Mable ..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/-/e/B000APYZ...l_1rx1ekx3kt_b

In it she relates that she rang up Berry Gordy and asked to be released from her contract as Motown was moving in the direction of 'Pop' whereas she wanted to stick with 'Soul' .. The C.D. notes put the year as 1966 though, which must be a misprint.

Roger

Actually Robb in the booklet notes for this C.D. there is an interview with Mable ..

In it she relates that she rang up Berry Gordy and asked to be released from her contract as Motown was moving in the direction of 'Pop' whereas she wanted to stick with 'Soul' .. The C.D. notes put the year as 1966 though, which must be a misprint.

Roger
Views: 951
    Thanks. That's interesting to know that it was HER decision. So, she DID "defect". But Barrett Strong was first. to leave [[1962). And Mary Wells was "successful" after Motown, first [["Use Your Head" 1964, "Dear Lover" 1965), before Mable John [["Your Good Thing"-1966).

I agree with whoever posted that the Spinners were the group that made it biggest after leaving Motown..............by a long ways.

Roger
Views: 962
    Yes, it must be a misprint or error, as the last recording by her for Motown seems to have been made in 1963. Marv Johnson was recorded at Motown fully 2 years after his last contract ended, and J.J. Barnes recorded up until he left [[despite a policy to not release any record on him)-so, I sincerely doubt that Mable lasted with Motown into 1964, without recording since mid 1963. She must have been released in mid-late 1963.

I agree with whoever posted that the Spinners were the group that made it biggest after leaving Motown..............by a long ways.
    I FORGOT THE SPINNERS! They did stay around Motown for "forever" lol

supremester Guest
    This is a very interesting thread. Certainly Mary made a huge mistake. Berry was recording jazz and standards on her - with varying degrees of success but the interest was there. It's easy to think if Mary had stayed that things would have continued in the same vein. I disagree. After Where Did our Love Go sold 3 million, and the album took off, then 2 more huge #1's and Liverpool outselling The my Guy LP, Mary Wells would have been put on second base. I doubt that HDH would have worked with her as they could barely keep up with The Supremes and Tops. Mary was a great talent, but I think she would not have prospered as some suggest. Certainly she'd be better off, but, probably one of the whiners complaining that Diana got all the attention. As it is, Mary was quoted as saying the absurd, "Berry used the millions he made off My Guy to make Diana Ross a star." Public interest in Mary was strong enough to allow her to eek out a career for decades after Motown. had she stayed, she'd have fared much better, but, I believe, without HDH. I don't think When Im Gone would have gone top 10, nor Whisper You love Me Boy. Honey Boy might have, but it also might have been pulled for a possible Supremes release. Smokey would have taken her to the top again with Dont Mess with Bill - which i believe would not, in this case have gone to Wanda. Ditto "Hunter" - The Marvelettes would have really suffered, but Mary was a bigger money maker and that was what counted. Mary would have been a decent concert draw - rising above the Motortown Revue status. Very interesting hypothetical.......

Well then there was Meatloaf - he was pretty big all along.

And we shouldn't forget Frankie Valli and The Four Seasons - they had huge hits with stuff they had written/recorded at Motown but bought the rights from them I believe - "December 63" and "My Eyes Adored You" for example.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Well then there was Meatloaf - he was pretty big all along.

And we shouldn't forget Frankie Valli and The Four Seasons - they had huge hits with stuff they had written/recorded at Motown but bought the rights from them I believe - "December 63" and "My Eyes Adored You" for example.
    The Four Seasons had their major success well before their signing with Motown on all the Bob Crewe produced hits. They were the biggest selling American vocal group next to The Beach Boys through the mid 60's. Their Motown era was mediocre at best. Of the hit records post Motown...They were largely Franki Valli as a solo act.

Had Mary Stayed with Motown I agree that a lot of Smokey's material would have went to her, I don't think the The Supremes would have suffered but the Marvelettes may have. Who knows Mary could have even greater success with some of those songs.

Mary listened to other people who were involved with her. She, however, did not get a half million dollars--it was like $250-300 thousand, according to what she told me. Also, that is totally incorrect about Berry making an offer of half his company--total bullshit!!!!! That was always the joke--Why didn't you say to him give me half the label--as she said he got down on his knees with tears in his eyes and said, "You name it. I'll give you what you want." Does anyone really think that Mickey, Smokey, the Gordys, would have allowed him to do that??? He didn't even make that kind of offer to Diana when she left. I believe Mary's failures were the result of the power Berry and Motown had in the business. After all, look what happened to Florence Ballard. Mary did think about NOT leaving, but those pulling her away, mainly her ex-husband, said you better leave 'cause he's not gonna promote you anymore after all this--meaning the idea to leave. She listened to the wrong people and her age certainly had a lot to do with it.

No matter what mistake she made, Mary Wells remains a Motown & Soul music legend. She did not need songs like Don't Mess With Bill, which was customed for the Marvelettes. Mary wouldn't have gotten that regardless. She is iconic. Just think about it, her recordings are still heard somewhete in the world everyday. Not too shabby for a singer who made a big mistake.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 06-09-2013 at 11:46 AM.

Oh, I totally agree, Kamasu! She would have been a big, big super artist had she continued with Motown. I believe the idea would be to keep hitting the number one pop spot with all future releases after the success of "My Guy". That record entered the Billboard top 100 at number 50!!! The company was totally behind her and everyone in key positions at the label really liked her.

Yes, absolutely! They were phenomenal in the 70s with a string of big hits, including a few with Dionne Warwick.

Quote Originally Posted by rrussi View Post
    Oh, I totally agree, Kamasu! She would have been a big, big super artist had she continued with Motown. I believe the idea would be to keep hitting the number one pop spot with all future releases after the success of "My Guy". That record entered the Billboard top 100 at number 50!!! The company was totally behind her and everyone in key positions at the label really liked her.
    I thought the biography was interesting in that it relayed a lot of facts about her which we didn't know, and it seemed well researched, but the author didn't seem to have any real handle on Mary Wells, in terms of her personality and motivation. I also thought it suffered a bit from too many quotes, anecdotes, etc., from her best friend [[I forget her name at the moment). I thought it was a good job, but not definitive.

As to her defection, considering how young she was at the time, and the large amount of cash offered to her up front by 20th Century, well, I guess we've all done stupider things when we were that age. It's a shame though.

Certainly, this was one of many bad decisions she made throughout her life, professional as well as personal. Her involvement with drugs, not taking care of herself, excessive smoking and so on. We can't blame her youth for those decisions. Just the smoking itself, aside from the health issues, I'm amazed that any singer smokes. Hearing Neil Diamond and Dionne Warwick today is painful thanks to their heavy smoking habit.

Kenneth, I totally agree with you about your assessment of the Mary Wells biography. It failed to capture her personality though it seemed well researched. It never captured just how important or big she really was and didn't put her in Detroit or zero in on just how major she was in Detroit. There were a lot of great singers in Detroit, but Mary Wells had something theydidn't. She displayed vulnerabilty and innocence and she managed to convey that she was no different than they were and that she understood what they were experiencing .
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 06-09-2013 at 03:26 PM.

Maye James was Mary's best friend and like a road manager in the '60s. Also, there were about four hours worth of interview done by Steve Bergsman, who tried to cowrite a book with Mary before she died. He actually came to FL to interview my brother and I. However, at the time, they couldn't find a publisher. I do think the big error in Mary's exit from Motown is more about how Berry had become so influential in the business he could have the power to squash her career. Many people wouldn't work with her or even play her records if they wanted to maintain an association with Motown and its artists. Mary always hated the fact that Motown would fess up what they owed her, but then almost double it as to what she owed them in recording costs. EX: the jazz/standards lp she recorded, The Second Time Around, went unreleased, but was complete. She had to pay for those sessions from her royalties, but had no control over the product being released. I always felt like, why did they record all those standards for the My Guy lp when they already have an lp of stuff in the can. That was just more expense to Mary. I do believe, however, is she had stayed, eventually she would have made very big money. I think she would have been big like Dionne Warwick, and I don't think anything or anyone would have stopped Diana Ross from happening.

@rrussi,

What was your relationship to Mary? How lucky you were to have known her. Maybe most on the SDF forum know you from past postings, but if you can let me know what your relationship was to Wells, I'd be most appreciative.

The Russi brothers were close confidants to Mary Wells, in my opinion.

Mary listened to other people who were involved with her. She, however, did not get a half million dollars--it was like $250-300 thousand, according to what she told me. Also, that is totally incorrect about Berry making an offer of half his company--total bullshit!!!!! That was always the joke--Why didn't you say to him give me half the label--as she said he got down on his knees with tears in his eyes and said, "You name it. I'll give you what you want." Does anyone really think that Mickey, Smokey, the Gordys, would have allowed him to do that??? He didn't even make that kind of offer to Diana when she left. I believe Mary's failures were the result of the power Berry and Motown had in the business. After all, look what happened to Florence Ballard. Mary did think about NOT leaving, but those pulling her away, mainly her ex-husband, said you better leave 'cause he's not gonna promote you anymore after all this--meaning the idea to leave. She listened to the wrong people and her age certainly had a lot to do with it.
    Very true. And I agree with Kamasu.

Kenneth, we met Mary when we were very young, my brother and I. She became a close family friend and visited my parents' home quite a bit, especially when she moved to Florida in the early '70s.

Kenneth, we met Mary when we were very young, my brother and I. She became a close family friend and visited my parents' home quite a bit, especially when she moved to Florida in the early '70s.
    Thanks for sharing that with us, rrusi.