[REMOVE ADS]

thomas96 Guest

Heading to Detroit this summer, suggestions of what to see?

As a big Motown fan, going to Detroit is a dream of mine and I finally get my opportunity to go this summer for about a week. I already have a list of places I am going and a few people I am visiting, but if anyone has any suggestions of places I should see or anything at all, let me know, as I want to get as much in as I can and I know I've got to be missing something right now as there's so much history in that city! Thanks to anyone who points something out that I'm missing. I just found out today and have already started planning.

depending on which part of Motown history you want to see I always enjoy seeing if some of the stars homes are still around. Sometimes you may run into a Miracle, Martha Reeves or some from the Ballard family.

I bought Lisa Chapman an ice cream once on Woodward avenue in downtown Detroit. She was real sweet and look a lot like her mother. Lisa has Florences chin.

Roberta

Dennis Coffey playes in the Northern Lounge sometimes. Another non-Motown thing to see in Detroit could be the Heidelberg project:
    http://www.heidelberg.org/

Or have a look at the other site of Lowell Boileau:
    http://www.detroityes.com/mb/atdasd_headlines.php

Have fun!

The Heidelberg Project is no more, unless they rebuild. A majority of the structure was destroyed by fire within the last few weeks.

Jeff

thomas96...where will you be staying and will you have access to a car?

thomas96 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    depending on which part of Motown history you want to see I always enjoy seeing if some of the stars homes are still around. Sometimes you may run into a Miracle, Martha Reeves or some from the Ballard family.
    Thanks for that suggestion, I hadn't thought of that, but that would be very interesting to do. Any idea where I'd find out who's homes are still around and where they are?

thomas96 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by 1382hitsville View Post
    Dennis Coffey playes in the Northern Lounge sometimes. Another non-Motown thing to see in Detroit could be the Heidelberg project:
    http://www.heidelberg.org/

Or have a look at the other site of Lowell Boileau:
    http://www.detroityes.com/mb/atdasd_headlines.php

Have fun!
    Thanks I will look into that. I'd love to see Mr Coffey!

thomas96 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gary View Post
    thomas96...where will you be staying and will you have access to a car?
    As it's still in the planning stage, I am not sure exactly where I'm staying. If you have any suggestions for that, I would appreciate them. I will have access to a car. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by thomas96 View Post
    Thanks for that suggestion, I hadn't thought of that, but that would be very interesting to do. Any idea where I'd find out who's homes are still around and where they are?
    If you have any idea whose house you would like to see I could email you the address or there is a book called Detroit Famous Homes that one of your libraries may carry.

Bettye LaVette's old house is now boarded up after a crazy man broke in last year[[no one was home). He dove through a large widow and then broke all the windows, all the mirrors, broke the sink off the wall, lit a mattress on fire and threw it out the window. Neighbors called the police, and when they showed up he said he lived there. So much damage, we didn't want to have it fixed. It would have been a bad investment.

Anyway, it is at 662 Trowbridge on the corner of Oakland in the North End. If you face the street[[Trowbridge) from her house, Morris Broadnax lived across the street and to the left.
    I believe it was the first house after the vacant lot.

Then, if you drive a few blocks down Oakland you can see Phelps Lounge. The sign was still there a few months back.

I went last May to visit Hitsville on West Grand Blvd, had a look at some of the Motowners former homes [[addresses are easy to find on internet and even on this forum). There is an excellent exhibition now at the Ford Museum about the World Fairs in the 1930-ties. The one century old Ford plant on Piquette is recommended as well.

If you want to have a look at the Brewster projects, former home of a number of Motowners, be quick:
    Name:  supremes brewster.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  77.1 KBName:  may 2013.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  26.6 KB

Car rental is very inexpensive in Detroit [[at least for me, coming from the Netherlands) and petrol is almost for free! [[again: compared to NL prices).

Records stores are heaven, if you are into that. I have address to some nice ones if you like.

Finally, I visited Les Gold's Pawns Shop on 8 Mile [[from the TV series Hardcore Pawn). Big hit on Dutch TV:

Name:  Marc & Les Gold.JPG
Views: 287
Size:  85.3 KB
    Last edited by motown_marc; 06-06-2013 at 04:26 AM.

thomas96 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    If you have any idea whose house you would like to see I could email you the address or there is a book called Detroit Famous Homes that one of your libraries may carry.
    Thanks. I will look into that book.

thomas96 Guest
    Marc, thanks for all that info. I'd love any suggestions of record stores. I know of People's Records and Hello Records and already plan to go to those, so if you have any other suggestions, that'd be great!

smark21 Guest
    Not really Motown related, but you should check out Eastern Market while you’re there. Who knows, you might run into Martha Reeves there as she’s mentioned in interviews she likes to go there.

http://www.detroiteasternmarket.com/

Again Detroit and or Southfield can be pleasurable and exciting .... I am not sure what you wanna see but Detroit Memorial Park East has some famous graves.

Thomas,
    People’s Records on Woodward is alway a good place to start; still a lot of vinyl of pre-Motown labels for very reasonable prices. My other favourites are:
    Street Corner Music in Oak Park
    Melodies & Memories on Gratiot Ave, Eastpointe
    Dearborn music on Michigan Ave, Dearborn

thomas96 Guest
    Does anyone know if any Motown alumni have studios in Detroit? I know Barrett Strong used to, and Sylvia Moy still does currently. Anyone else?

If you went in September when the weather is nicer you could go to the "R & B Hall of Fame Museum's first induction ceremonies" and related events to see many Artists & Groups, it is at the Detroit Opera House on Septeber 21.
    Of course, you'll want to visit the Motown Museum too, aka Hitsville.
    Name:  970639_516195218430412_387277636_n.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  92.3 KB

S.S.