[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Ummm....

Errrr...

[[Awkward silence)

You're watching "The Young and the Restless"?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Ummm....

Errrr...

[[Awkward silence)

You're watching "The Young and the Restless"?
    Yeah. I have since the mid-80s. My mother and father did too. Never miss an episode. Gotta problem with it?

Guys, many men watch soap operas, especially black men. I did a story on this and got men to admit they watched the stories or the soaps. One reason is many black men were raised by women and their mothers, grandmothers and aunts watched the soaps, so a lot of boys or men watched to just to have something in common with the women in their households. A lot of men work third shift so they are home during the day and they watch judge shows, talk shows and soap operas. I don't watch soaps, but I watch reality TV shows and some of them have lots of "drama " going on which is a characteristic of the soaps.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 06-14-2013 at 12:03 PM.

That's right! I used to work graveyards unloading trucks. The main reason I got into them was because my mother had me tape them while she was at work. Then I got into them.

When you think about it, they are no different than the prime-time shoes like "Dallas" or "Knots Landing" were in their day. And, I watched "Melrose Place" in the 90s. So what? Big deal!

The only person who vocally had a problem with my watching soaps was an ex-girlfriend She wondered why a grown man would watch them, as she was married to a Black man once, then had a Mexican boyfriend. She was all into traditional roles. She wondered why I would want to watch someone else's drama on TV when there is so much in life. Well, she was a drama queen herself, and loved chick flicks. Go figure.

The reason my father started watching them is because he was retired with nothing to do. His favorite character was Victor Newman, and, he actually acted like that character in real life, vindictiveness and everything.

The other stereotype is that only gay guys watch them. Nope! Lots of we straight men watch them.

I don't watch them to be close to women or anything like that, I watch them because of the story lines. Period.
    Last edited by soulster; 06-14-2013 at 05:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Yeah. I have since the mid-80s. My mother and father did too. Never miss an episode. Gotta problem with it?
    Yeah, I gotta problem with it. Kids are confused already without men watching women's shows. You need to turn in your man card.

Nah, I am just kidding. I watched "Young and the Restless" [[RIP Kate Chancellor) and "As the World Turns" faithfully when I was in college. I just wanted to stir you up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Nah, I am just kidding. I watched "Young and the Restless" [[RIP Kate Chancellor) and "As the World Turns" faithfully when I was in college. I just wanted to stir you up.
    I guess I gave up my man card when I proudly admitted that I don't follow any sports. I don't even watch the Stupid...er...Super Bowl.

No, you didn't stir me up, but I have met so many people with old-fashioned notions that I just automatically react.

You youngsters,when i was a kid,the women in my family watched soaps on the radio....no remote either!!!

Very true Jerry Oz. Men do watch the soaps. Aaron Neville was a fan of All My Children. No one is gonna call him a sissy and walk away with both legs intact. Sammy Davis Jr. watched soaps. As do a lot of NBA players. Soulster, I have a short attention span. I can't sit for hours either watching sports on TV. I'd rather see a game live. When I'm home, I'm doing other things. I have a friend who is the same way.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 06-15-2013 at 03:08 PM.

The definition of masculinity is changing, though. Problem is, I live in a very red state, and, like everything else, the red states are lagging behind the rest of the first world. In other words, they're still issuing man cards around here if you keep your TV set on ESPN, eat lots of steak, drive a Dodge Ram and a Harley, and own a gun.

I agree, the definition of masculinity is changing. The south is traditional, but men do things at home-- behind closed doors that they don't admit. Me being born in the Seventies, my mom was a feminist. She did take time off from school to have me and she supported my dad while he earned his undergraduate degree. But when she decided to return to school for her degree, she turned the responsibility of caring for me over to my dad. He had to cook, clean house and look after me. So I'm doing some of the same things he did with me with my sons. I cook if my 'wwife isn't home and care for them.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 06-16-2013 at 03:30 PM.

I was born in the early 60s, but, for the most part, I am glad the time has come where men can truly start just being themselves, and damn whatever anyone else thinks. We really don't have to live up to any stereotypes, publicly or privately. And, if I meet anyone who thinks old-fashioned, I don't deal with them.

This is interesting:

I was president of my neighborhood civic association at one time and we had our general membership meetings once a month on Wednesday nights. Well I adjourned our meeting @ 8:30p because Alexis and Krystle were going to fight that night and the motion was moved and seconded in record time. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by nosey View Post
    I was president of my neighborhood civic association at one time and we had our general membership meetings once a month on Wednesday nights. Well I adjourned our meeting @ 8:30p because Alexis and Krystle were going to fight that night and the motion was moved and seconded in record time. LOL!
    What are you talking about? Wrong thread, maybe?